Curious as to origins of my new Buggy

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
73SpeedBuggy

Curious as to origins of my new Buggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here could help me as to the origins of the body on my Buggy. The guy I bought it from didnt' know much of anything about it (he even told me it was a '75 Super Beetle chasis but it's actually a '73 standard). Here's the pics: Image Image Image
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I think you have a "Citation". They are now being produced by Berrien Buggy, but I think at one time they were manufactured by Breman Motorsports of Breman Indiana. I'm sure someone can help out with the history. Image Image
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Awesome, thanks! I believe mine was assembled in 1980. Needs some work, but the body is in near mint condition (just needs a bit of elbow grease and it'll look brand new). Does anyone know if the windshield assembly that manx sells would fit directly onto my bug?
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

If the top of the windshield area On the hood measures 42 1/2" across, it should fit. That is the standard Manx & Manx clone size. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

If you buy a new windshield frame be sure to utilize the channel on the inside of the frame that will allow you to hide the windshield frame mounting bolts.
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Found this on the Berrien website:
The Citation body molds are in very poor condition and it is not feasible to repair them. To continue to offer the Citation would require new molds, which will be a very costly endeavor, and we have decided not to pursue that at this time. If you have been planning to build a "tub buggy" and the Citation is your preference, email us so that we know how much interest there is in keeping this body style available
Anyone know how long it's been since they've made a new one?