Manx Club

Created for the Dune Buggy enthusiasts
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:26 am 

So I finally got the motor in and running (sort of). It is a 1904 (74×90.5) I have a new Weber progressive from aircooled.net and jetted by them as well. I also have a Magnaspark Digital from CB Performance. I don't know what else to do to make it idle. I can't really get to the idle mixture screw while it is running and it gets pretty hot after a while and I can't touch it. I am supposed to be at the Big Bear Bash this coming weekend and really need some advise. Where do I start to fix this? I do have pre-heat setup and working very well. Please help!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:28 pm 

try removing your pre heat set up. your motor sounds like it is overheating. be sure it is getting all available cooling air as possible. if the working pre heat set up removal changes nothing you can just put it back on. find a way to get to the adjustment screw, and adjust it.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:14 pm 

Just because it is new out of the box does not mean it is set up right for your buggy.

Here are some Weber carb web sites to look over to help you tune it in.

https://www.racetep.com/manufacturer/carbs-and-injection/weber/weber-carb-tuning-and-technical-info.html

http://vw.zenseeker.net/WeberProgressive.htm

http://www.aircooled.net/making-weber-progressive-dfev-work-aircooled-vw-engine/

Keep in mind that Big Bear is around 7000' so it will run fat. I re-jet for the altitude, but others just bump up the timing to get it to run decently.

Worst case scenario is you get it up to Big Bear and there will be a bunch of people there more than willing to turn a wrench to get it running for your. 8)

We run a Weber IDF 40 on our 1776 and it works great.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:47 pm 

Assume carb set correct idel out from close 1.5-2 turns. Throutle plate shut then open say one turn. Now mess with timing. I think you are lean try advancing till it runs or bounces off starter. After you get it running dont go over 30 degress total advance

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:19 am 

I wrote John at aircooled.net where I purchased the carb kit and he suggested that I check the intake casting for leaks between the pre-heat and the intake runner and sure enough there is a leak between the two. I will replace that section and try again. I really hope I can get this buggy running before the Big Bear Bash, I am really looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:37 am 

Well I did what I could. Weber even overnighted me a new intake as it seems to me that the old one had a leak between the pre-heat and the intake side of things. Got it timed better but it is running too hot to drive up the mountain this time. We may see you all in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:41 am 

Will any updates on your progress

was nice chatting with you in big bear sorry your buggy didn't make it

Mike

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:48 am 

Nothing yet. I did get a replacement manifold from Redline Weber on Thursday and installed it Friday morning. It ran better but still too hot. I plan on having someone who is more able to jet this motor running right. I have a suggestion to have Jim at GEMVW work on it. Any other suggestions?

If anyone can get me in contact with Bill in the white buggy with the spare on top and chrome wheels that drove me around all day Saturday in the green group I would really appreciate it. I wanted to thank him but he left too soon and I didn't catch him before he left.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:47 pm 

did you check the warm up vanes to be sure they open ?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

lastmanx wrote:
did you check the warm up vanes to be sure they open ?

The thermostat and the flaps open up fully pretty quickly, probably within a minute or so. It sure pushes a lot of hot air out the back.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:46 pm 

When we put a new motor in our buggy (1776 with a Weber IDF 40), it ran hot for a thousand miles or so until it loosened up a bit. To combat the extra heat, I had an auxiliary oil cooler bolted to the bottom of the motor and put a finned aluminum sleeve around the oil filter. After running that setup for a couple of years, I ended up cracking the cooler bouncing through a river bed and had to remove it. By then, the motor was well broken in, and we don't need it anymore (averages 190* to 220*). It could be that the motor is just tight, which generates extra heat.

Profile Personal album