Need to Change Front Suspension

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
FulsGld

Need to Change Front Suspension

Post by FulsGld »

Hey All;

I bent my Turista's front beam last year at Moab. I'm heading back with the RBC this coming May, so I need to change out this beam. I have both a BJ beam and a Karman Ghia BJ Disc Brake beam available. I'm thinking the disc brake beam is the way to go. It will be easier to just replace with a BJ beam but is the disc brake beam worth having???
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
lastmanx

Re: Need to Change Front Suspension

Post by lastmanx »

the disc brake will need a brake bias valve in order to work properly; due to the less front weight of a buggy verses ghia. without the bias valve the disc brakes work too well and tend to lock up the front wheels easily. to sum it up the bias valve lessens the disc brake effectiveness (so it works more equally like drums.) Now get real replacing either the disc or drum beam will be the same amount of work ; as they bolt to the frame head identically. if you do a lot of hard driving (race) street use front disc with fine tuned brake bias would be a benefit. Keep in mind the disc beam will bend just as easily as your drum beam if you fail to steer away from large objects. :( :P :lol: :lol: :) either one will work, keep smiling. wile you change it out replace the steering coupler with new and steer dampener with new since your in there anyway. have fun
FulsGld

Re: Need to Change Front Suspension

Post by FulsGld »

Hey LastManx;

Thanks for the great info. I think I'll go with the disc setup. Should be able to find an adjustable bias valve. New steering coupler is also a great idea. Will start ordering parts tonight...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112