Sombrero top

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
cvoharley

Sombrero top

Post by cvoharley »

I've purchased a Sombrero top from TJ Kustoms. I'm looking for advice on attachment points before I make anything permanent. I have used the existing snap screws for the rear straps temporally and I have not drilled any hole in the windshield frame as of yet. What have others done? Any tips?

Click image to enlarge

As you can see from this picture, I have just used the existing screw for the snap to hold down the strap. Brian G suggested mounting inside b the rear seat. Does anyone have a picture? I also thought about using a stainless bracket mounted on top of the flange?

I'm not sure exactly where to drill the hole for the snap on the windshield. I know enough to do one side and pull it taunt to the other side then drill.

Here is an over view. All these little projects are adding up before MOTB'18!

Thanks,
AJ
Manx Club Member # 4697
lastmanx

Re: Sombrero top

Post by lastmanx »

With the top on; as it is in photos, mark a dot with a med tip majic marker direct center under the tops snap button. Now look at dot it should be in the area of the front edge of w/s frame,(where the slot is. that way you won't drill into the w/s glass. you can also before drilling make sure both dots are even with a tape measure. take your time and get it correct using the dots. if you don't like ,just wipe off marker dot and reset. making sure top is taught at final location. when you have it perfect drill a 1/8 hole and screw in button. don't over tighten or screw will break. if you were supplied with rivet button use it instead. sorry no pictures. but I have done this procedure at and for my upholsterer on many buggies. get over your nerves by knowing you have measured correctly drill, then rest with a beverage. you can do it!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Wow, the tan Sombrero top looks good with the lime green Manx. I bought one too but have not installed it yet. Because TJ made the Sombrero top for 39" and 41" from the windshield to the middle of the roll bar, I have to move my roll bar up 1 1/2" forward. Otherwise it does not look right.
Lastmanx has some great tips. Don't need to spend any more money then necessary. TJ also suggest installing the top in the sun to soften it so when all snapped in, it will be nice and taut. Otherwise when the sun heats it up, the top will be flapping loose.
I've been running the install process through my head too and looking at different Sombrero photos to see the best install. I was thinking of screwing the straps on the inside walls (other side of where you have it) of the Manx with a washer and a finishing washer under the screw for a finished look.
Looks like you have snaps for a full top. That's a another project for me.
Thanks for the motivation. I have to get busy.
faizanmazhar00

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

cvoharley wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:16 am I've purchased a Sombrero top from TJ Kustoms. I'm looking for advice on attachment points before I make anything permanent. I have used the existing snap screws for the rear straps temporally and I have not drilled any hole in the windshield frame as of yet. What have others done? Any tips?

Click image to enlarge

As you can see from this picture, I have just used the existing screw for the snap to hold down the strap. Brian G suggested mounting inside b the rear seat. Does anyone have a picture? I also thought about using a stainless bracket mounted on top of the flange?

I'm not sure exactly where to drill the hole for the snap on the windshield. I know enough to do one side and pull it taunt to the other side then drill.

Thanks,
AJ
Wow, the tan Sombrero top looks good with the lime green Manx. I bought one too but have not installed it yet. Because TJ made the Sombrero top for 39" and 41" from the windshield to the middle of the roll bar, I have to move my roll bar up 1 1/2" forward. Otherwise it does not look right.
Fai72721

Post by Fai72721 »

cvoharley wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:16 am I've purchased a Sombrero top from TJ Kustoms. I'm looking for advice on attachment points before I make anything permanent. I have used the existing snap screws for the rear straps temporally and I have not drilled any hole in the windshield frame as of yet. What have others done? Any tips?

Click image to enlarge

Thanks,
AJ
Beautiful
qa2643316

Post by qa2643316 »

Click image to enlarge

As you can see from this picture, I have just used the existing screw for the snap to hold down the strap. Brian G suggested mounting inside b the rear seat. Does anyone have a picture? I also thought about using' a stainless bracket mounted on top of the flange?

Thanks,
AJ