Soft top

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
Dunerunner

Soft top

Post by Dunerunner »

Does anyone out there have experience or recommendations of an upholsterer having a soft top made in the Oceanside California area ? My buggy is a shortened Dunerunner. Any advice would be appreciated Thanks.
Chicago Joe

Re: Soft top

Post by Chicago Joe »

This is an often asked question. The search function can be your friend.

You can always go to a reputable canvas shop and get the job done.
Print some pictures to help give the shop an idea of what you want.

No matter what path you take, canvas products can be a bit pricey.
I have heard rumors that Meyers Manx is working on a soft top for a Manx/KickOut. They are in Valley Center, CA

For example:
The side curtains for my Manxter ran about $900.00 in 2005.
The top, doors and side / rear curtains for a KickOut Manx were done by a friend. Cost materials & dinner.

Best of luck
Dunerunner

Post by Dunerunner »

Thank you for your information. We are only about 20 mins from Valley Center but unfortunately we have a "clone" not a Manx.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

I have found a upholsterer that can do boat tops is your best bet.boat tops are custom made. upholsterers that just do car seats may not have the talent to make one from scratch. I just had my top redone after 16 years cost $725 cash. unfortunately I live in Massachusetts . talk to your upholsterer ask if he has done them for buggys. mine had since the 1970's but he is retiring this year. talk to hot rod custom car guys see who they use. now some tips: I like a single bow in rear it makes a sedan delivery look and gives storage room , when folded down you can make a boot pouch that holds it.431643144321. I prefer the aluminum channels to slide the top and side curtains; that way you aren't relying on tension to hold it in place,and the side curtains hinge in place(helpful when it is raining)43444343. and lastly put a flap on the doors and along the rear that buttons to the inside this way they will stay in place as you drive; due to air pressure pushing them in or out4327. this may seem like overkill for California but I have driven in hurricanes with no issues out here. good luck.4306
Dunerunner

Post by Dunerunner »

Thanks ,especially for the pictures
Mike1991

Post by Mike1991 »

Ralph had his buggy at Big Bear 2016 with this brand new reproduction top that he just bought from someone who had an original top and had created the patterns for producing new tops.

rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Mike1991 wrote:Ralph had his buggy at Big Bear 2016 with this brand new reproduction top that he just bought from someone who had an original top and had created the patterns for producing new tops.
The top in the picture can be found here: http://www.acmecarco.com/new-products

Here is a sample of another custom made top for my buggy. This top is now 8 years old and is holding up well. The side curtains take a beating from climbing in and out. Originally cost ~$900. Someone used my top as a pattern and had the same shop reproduce one about 2 years ago. Cost ~$900. The top is made out of auto-convertible top material.

Lots of pictures here: 81

Hope this helps,
Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Dunerunner

Post by Dunerunner »

Exactly the design that I am looking for Thanks to all for the information.