LED Tail light upgrade

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
MyBlueBuggy

LED Tail light upgrade

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

I found a LED upgrade to those running stock bug tail lights on their buggy.  A bit pricey though but it's another way to make your buggy stand out from the rest.

VW Beetle Tail Light Conversion
louisb

LED Tail light upgrade

Post by louisb »

Yeah I am hoping to do that on the Manx. I have already been rearended in my '67 sedan once.

--louis
Classic-Manx-71

LED Tail light upgrade

Post by Classic-Manx-71 »

I have seen this units advertised before and wondered how bright they are?  They look to have 13 SMDs(?).  Has anybody tried a pair ?  Given the circuit board electronics visible, I assume they work with out any additional resistors.  Speaking of circuit boards, you would want to make sure your lens seals well as they don't like water.

Also, does anyone know if there is a LED replacement bulb which would fit the stock VW bulb socket?

ImageJust some ramblings from the still cold Midwest.
MyBlueBuggy

LED Tail light upgrade

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

There are LED replacement bulbs that you can use, I actually plan on trying some. In my tail light assemblies the tail/brake lamp is a standard 1157 bulb and the turn is a 1156. If you use a LED for the turn signal you will have to change out the flasher relay to compensate for the loss of electrical load that is necessary for it to work.

I remember a thread at the old forums where a member adapted a pair of Harbor Freight tow hitch receiver lights for use as tail lights. It seemed to work well for him. I searched for it earlier but could not find it.
5150bossman

LED Tail light upgrade

Post by 5150bossman »

The problem with putting an LED light that has an 1157 or similar base is that the fixture is designed for a point source (single or dual filament) bulb.  The reflector was designed to reflect light from a single point.  When you replace it with a multi bulb LED, then the LED's are moved outside of the focal point and the reflective capability of the lamp is greatly reduced.  I tried this for a while, but went back to a standard incandescent bulb because the LED was just too dim throughout the entire reflector of the fixture.  The link at the top of the thread does look like a good solution as long as it is bright enough.  At least you get a pair at that price. If anyone try's this out, let us know.
Last edited by 5150bossman on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MyBlueBuggy

LED Tail light upgrade

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

Yes, light from a traditional 1157 or 1156 bulb is broadcast in over 180 degrees from it's source, ie: filiment.  Most LED bulbs do not as LEDs traditionally focus their light in one direction.  Unless you get a LED replacement that has LEDs covering a few different angles you'd get poor lighting.  I found this site..  www.superbrightleds.com  a while back.  They've expanded their product line a bit to include many different types of replacement bulbs that address this issue.  However, what really matters is safety.  If the car behind you cannot tell when you're braking then LEDs won't be much of an upgrade at all.

Lighting ( head lights, tail lights, and turn) has always been a design area of my buggy that I struggle with.  It's so easy to go the simple route and get whatever the VW  stores stock and supply.  There are some really neat hot rod styles you can go with instead if you are willing to step up and spend a bit more.  Most times LEDs offer a different style altogether.
Ed-Chenal

Re: LED Tail light upgrade

Post by Ed-Chenal »

I recently installed the LED Tail Light Conversion Kit from AirCooled.net
Although it cost more than $100 for the set of two, I'm pleased with the
appearance and function. 1963 Bug tail lights. I used an EL-13 electronic
flasher.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResu ... +light+kit
Ed
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Ed-Chenal wrote:I recently installed the LED Tail Light Conversion Kit from AirCooled.net
Although it cost more than $100 for the set of two, I'm pleased with the
appearance and function. 1963 Bug tail lights. I used an EL-13 electronic
flasher.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResu ... +light+kit

Question: are you running LED front signals too, or incandescent bulbs up front? Reason I'm asking is I tried the LED conversion (different source from aircooled.net) and I couldn't get a flasher to work with them (I have LEDs up front too). I didn't need a digital flasher in my old/current setup since the incandescent bulbs in the rears provided enough resistance to flash them with the LEDs up front.

Thanks,
Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Bud,
I have still incandescent bulbs in the front. When I installed the LEDs in the rear, everything worked but the flash was too fast. When I installed the electronic flasher, the speed of the flash returned to normal. Are you using a two or three pronged Flasher?
I posted a drawing on Manx Facebook of several three pronged flashers with a description of the connectors on the rear. I used the EL-13 electronic flasher. I hope that helps you.
Ed
Ed
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Ed-Chenal wrote:Bud,
I have still incandescent bulbs in the front. When I installed the LEDs in the rear, everything worked but the flash was too fast. When I installed the electronic flasher, the speed of the flash returned to normal. Are you using a two or three pronged Flasher?
I posted a drawing on Manx Facebook of several three pronged flashers with a description of the connectors on the rear. I used the EL-13 electronic flasher. I hope that helps you.
Ed
Ed, Thanks for the info and the diagram. I returned the LED (rears) and the flashers when I couldn't get them to work. Over the winter I'll give it another try and will probably purchase the aircooled.net units as I've had very good luck with their stuff. I may be back in touch when I try again.

Thanks.
Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing