2016 Calendar Photo Credits

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
calvin

Re: 2016 Calendar Photo Credits

Post by calvin »

Time for some updates on the June Calendar pictures. I recognize some of them, but not all. It does look like they are all OBX pictures.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

calvin wrote:Time for some updates on the June Calendar pictures. I recognize some of them, but not all. It does look like they are all OBX pictures.

Thanks for the reminder Calvin!

Upper left picture was from Kieth Dusharme, upper right was from Tim Byrnes, and bottom was from Chris South. I'll nudge them on the faceplant site to get some info.

Brian
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Posting this for Chris South while he looks into getting his account password back:

"3 buggy's on the beach was taken in July last summer in OBX. It was Scott Jackle in Pumpkin along with Dave Gregitis and I. It was like a lite version of MOTB in July.
That picture also just received the Appletree online car show award for 2nd place. Not sure how that happen."

Thanks Chris!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

My pic was taken as we drove down the beach at MOTB. I took it with my cell phone and captured the long line of buggies in my side view mirror. I think its Larry and Linda Hannawacker in the red buggy and Im not sure about the orange Manxter (maybe Adam Hostetler?) It was a great day at the beach and we cant wait until the next time when we get to party with our buggy family!
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

WOW, I've got to say that the July entry in the calendar is the most awesome buggy I've ever seen :clap: Oh wait, that is ours :wink:

It took me over 30 years to finally purchase the vehicle that I used to dream about as a middle schooler reading various car magazines. Since I lived in upstate NY, there weren't any buggies running around on the streets so I had to settle for the glossy pictures in the magazines or the advertising brochures that I used to request (wish I had them now).

As with most of us, life takes us down paths we don't expect. So after raising kids and buying and selling that mid-life crisis car (Corvette), I was finally ready to realize the dream. In 2004 I found what I was looking for, a '68 (on a '67 chassis) Meyers Manx dune buggy for sale on Thesamba. (I don't recommend anyone ever doing the following - although it worked out fine for me.). Sight-unseen, in June 2004, I purchased our dune buggy from a total stranger in Houston, TX. Turns out he (John Fowler) was a club member at the time, although at that point I had not heard of the Manx Club. I sent a very large cashier's check and paid for a truck to pick the buggy up. Then I nervously waited for confirmation that there really was a buggy on the delivery truck. Success! The buggy arrived and matched the description (a real Meyers Manx)! Through receipts that John provided to me, I was able to see the buggy was owned by another club member (Frank Riesbeck, New Lenox, IL) from at least 2000-2003. Frank had done a complete frame-off restoration when he owned it. In 2014 I commissioned another complete restoration, but as we all know, the restoration never ends.

The buggy has been on at least one long distance trip and is about to embark on another. Many other possessions will come and go in life, but this little buggy is a keeper. I expect that it will live (we have four grand kids) long after Sue and I are gone.

This picture was taken on the waterfront in Wilmington, NC in front of the USS North Carolina battleship.

Thanks,
Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Thanks for updating this Bud! I don't know who's in charge of this calendar thing, but he's certainly been slacking! I appreciate you doing this.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

calvin

Post by calvin »

August is almost over and I would really like to hear about the pictures. All of the pictures deserve at least some comment on this month...
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I agree. I have asked the contributors to post their comments, but I'm assuming they're out enjoying the warm weather and will post them after all the fun runs they're doing. I can guarantee you that the next month's guy will post his information.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

calvin

Post by calvin »

Just FYI, I do the calendar for the Deserter Owner's Group. We are a much smaller group, and I have FAR fewer pictures to chose from than Brian does when I out together the DOG calendar. Just FYI the Deserter was probably the most popular buggy on the East coast with about 1400 buggies made. But I ask for pictures of specifically Deserter buggies and I usually have to fill the calendar with what I get.

With that said, this is the typical submission I get:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/des ... 1555831563

If you can't see this it is a really nice red Deserter S1 sitting in front of a corporate jet. That is not important, but what is important is the description that Jeff (the owner) sent be about the buggy:
My name is Jeff Campbell, I am the Airport Supervisor for the town of Millinocket, Maine. In 1969 when I was only 4 years old my father built a Ranger Dune Buggy. Since that time I have had Buggy Fever. Up until 3 years ago the opportunity never presented itself so that I could get a buggy project. Then I found the Deserter S1 two towns away while trying to purchase a Ranger one town over. It was a complete buggy that had been redone more than a decade earlier. It was pretty rough, body, wiring, seats etc. I took it completely apart and started over. A friend helped me with the body work and paint, and I did the rest. All of my spare time over three months and this is what I ended up with. It is a 1968 Deserter S1 body with a 1965 Beetle pan and a 1974 1600 dual port engine.

That picture was taken two years ago and since then I have put almost 10,000 miles on it, been to many car shows and even collected a few trophies. I rebuilt the engine this year upping it to 1700 cc and adding dual carbs. I have been on two trips with it through the White Mountains of NH tenting along the way. I still drive it every day. It only gets a rest when the snow is on the ground.

Jeff

p.s. The Gulfstream 450 in the pic was a customer from California that flew in to pick up some friends that were hiking the Appalachian Trail… Being the closest airport to Mt. Katahdin, the northern end of the trail, we see a lot of that sort of thing… By the way, thank you for the compliments on my S1 and including it in the calendar. I have lots more pics if you want one for next year…
I just wish a group as big as the Manx Club could give us write ups this good.... Just my opinion. I just like hearing about all of these buggies that are personal passions. Let some of us out here hear about the passion you have about this things you have put so much of you into. Am I unusual in that I enjoy hearing about what drove others to built these strange little cars?

Calvin
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

calvin wrote:Just FYI, I do the calendar for the Deserter Owner's Group. We are a much smaller group, and I have FAR fewer pictures to chose from than Brian does when I out together the DOG calendar. Just FYI the Deserter was probably the most popular buggy on the East coast with about 1400 buggies made. But I ask for pictures of specifically Deserter buggies and I usually have to fill the calendar with what I get.

With that said, this is the typical submission I get:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/des ... 1555831563

If you can't see this it is a really nice red Deserter S1 sitting in front of a corporate jet. That is not important, but what is important is the description that Jeff (the owner) sent be about the buggy:
My name is Jeff Campbell, I am the Airport Supervisor for the town of Millinocket, Maine. In 1969 when I was only 4 years old my father built a Ranger Dune Buggy. Since that time I have had Buggy Fever. Up until 3 years ago the opportunity never presented itself so that I could get a buggy project. Then I found the Deserter S1 two towns away while trying to purchase a Ranger one town over. It was a complete buggy that had been redone more than a decade earlier. It was pretty rough, body, wiring, seats etc. I took it completely apart and started over. A friend helped me with the body work and paint, and I did the rest. All of my spare time over three months and this is what I ended up with. It is a 1968 Deserter S1 body with a 1965 Beetle pan and a 1974 1600 dual port engine.

That picture was taken two years ago and since then I have put almost 10,000 miles on it, been to many car shows and even collected a few trophies. I rebuilt the engine this year upping it to 1700 cc and adding dual carbs. I have been on two trips with it through the White Mountains of NH tenting along the way. I still drive it every day. It only gets a rest when the snow is on the ground.

Jeff

p.s. The Gulfstream 450 in the pic was a customer from California that flew in to pick up some friends that were hiking the Appalachian Trail… Being the closest airport to Mt. Katahdin, the northern end of the trail, we see a lot of that sort of thing… By the way, thank you for the compliments on my S1 and including it in the calendar. I have lots more pics if you want one for next year…
I just wish a group as big as the Manx Club could give us write ups this good.... Just my opinion. I just like hearing about all of these buggies that are personal passions. Let some of us out here hear about the passion you have about this things you have put so much of you into. Am I unusual in that I enjoy hearing about what drove others to built these strange little cars?

Calvin

I'm thinking as we continue with this, and see more examples of entries and write-ups, we'll see them become a little longer. Plus, there are still a number of people that aren't on the forums, or don't like to write much. However.... you just reminded me, IT'S MY TURN!!
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

September!

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about Loretta and her build, as it's clearly documented in the build thread that I started, and Joe continued as he worked his magic on her. But her history to me is quite cool.

I'm an impatient person at times when it comes to what I want, so when I saw a chance to purchase a running and driving Manx just two weeks before MOTB 2014, I jumped on it, and made a deal to sell the one I had purchased about a month before that needed a full restoration. Of course, in my excitement, I made a solid deal prior to seeing Loretta, and when I got there, didn't let the fact that she had doors cut in the sides and both the battery well and spare time sump cut out to adapt it (poorly) to an IRS chassis bother me. It was this or nothing. I paid too much for her, and towed her home in the pouring rain. Due to all the bad weather we had over the next two weeks, I literally drove her about 5 miles prior to going to MOTB, and didn't have a clue if she'd make it the whole trip or just a few minutes.

Fortunately, that trip sealed the deal for Tanya and I. We loved the club and the buggy lifestyle.

When Joe agreed to do the work on her, neither of us realized how much would be done. I dropped her off with him in Januarly 2015, and picked her up on the Carlisle weekend for her first showing (although she had no wires, and obviously wasn't driving), and it was awesome!!

After Joe finished all of the work, it took me quite a while to get her wired, send the gauges back to Speedhut due to my mismeasurement, find the right switches that could fit around all the switches, etc...

The picture for this month was taken on the day I finally got her on the road. Jeffery Holt spent the afternoon helping me get the motor ready to go in, putting it in, and getting the final adjustments done, and I knew where I wanted her first pictures. We drove to a local bar for one celebratory beer, and proceeded to beautiful Lake Murray in Irmo, SC. As I was employed by the local power company that owned some beautiful property there, we had all the access we needed to get some great shots. Of all the pictures I've taken, it's still me favorite.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

calvin

Post by calvin »

We seemed to have missed a response from the owners of the the October picture. I saw those buggies in October too... We are now almost half way through November as well.

Calvin