Windshield Wiper Solution (CUSTOM, off-the-shelf parts) -

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
aburger01

Windshield Wiper Solution (CUSTOM, off-the-shelf parts) -

Post by aburger01 »

I worked out a very simple and clean solution for a manual/handheld wiper setup on my buggy. Searched high and low for a solution, I saw a buggy on theSamba that had a similar setup mounted on the top of the window (North Carolina buggy) - I have little to no room behind my dash for automatic wipers so I got busy working out something that anyone can duplicate easily, cheap, no welding.

Less than $100 check this out !!!

One Modification needed. The Size of the eyelet on the adapter is 3/8" - the threaded barrel on the Marinco wiper is 7/16" - I used a 3/8" sharp/new drill bit and slowly made the 3/8" hole to exactly the size where it actually fit in a threaded manner over the barrel. Once done, screwed the adapter 10mm directly into the MANX mirror mount which is also 10mm with loctite - its very stable. adjusted the manual arm to work closely next to the mirror side. Its out of the way, very stable, and looks great. The Marinco wiper is a little more expensive than the cheaper ones you can buy, however, most of the parts are stainless (specific boat manufacturer) - see below final assembly and installation:

lastmanx

Re: Windshield Wiper Solution (CUSTOM, off-the-shelf parts)

Post by lastmanx »

I know you found a solution. You said you had little to no room for vw wipers. It has been my experience that they fit all buggys that have the indent bosses in hood you have. It may be to late now, but it is the first thing to install in the buggy. It is tight, but as long as wires are routed away from moving parts they work.Bolt on wipers 1973 and later work trouble free. The large nuts that bolt through hood at wiper shaft is all the support needed. Rubber washers under and over keep water out. The wiper body will need to be grounded, and also works as a ground central location to other items. I have always put vw wipers in all my buggy projects, it is the easiest part of building a buggy.
aburger01

Post by aburger01 »

Definitely, but my situation is compounded with a post 68 integrated speedo and gas gauge combined and an electric fuel pump also behind, the cluster of connections is right center mass front where the normal wiper motor should mount. I have a base vw wiper motor, arms, etc., but didn't want to basically take the entire set apart. I didn't build this one from scratch, it was built when I acquired it and I only needed a wiper for 'being legal' - it may never see the rain anyway, I won't put snaps around this body to ever likely have a full soft top anyway where wipers will be a normal mode of use on a rainy day. I do know that a lot of folks wanted a simpler solution as well.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

You're right. It may never rain in California again. Yet, there may still be a need......

aburger01

Post by aburger01 »

UPDATE, first road test:

Solid as a rock, pulled it down just about 1/2" from where it was before for exact horizontal alignment with bottom of windshield glass - no buffeting at high speeds, didn't budge, easy reach to operate:

Image[/img]
VW Aircooled Society

Post by VW Aircooled Society »

Last year in 2018 we introduced this product that is the best Manual Wiper System Kit in Show Quality.. nice looking and functional.. Here are some pics and videos so you can.. the price is right too at just $119.00 Free Shipping.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxzYMNn7RsY[/youtube]

Products Manager @ VW Aircooled Society
Innovative Products: http://www.VWAircooledSociety.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'64 Manx Classic Dune Buggy
'67 Split Window Bus
'66 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug
'69 Bay Window Weekender Bus
Hind24P

Post by Hind24P »

Thanks, that's good to know! I'm negotiating to buy my first Manx, and the one thing I was worried about was the fact that the windshield wipers are fried. I now know I have an option!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

That is a nice unit. Just keep in mind that with it installed on the top of the windshield frame, you won't be able to put either a hard top or soft top on the buggy which leaves the occupants exposed to the full force of the elements (sun, rain etc.).
Hind24P

Post by Hind24P »

Good to know, thanks! Is there an alternative that would allow you to mount a hard/soft top then? If not, I'll settle for that, but I'd be glad if I could have some cover from the elements from time to time.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Oliver, Yes a stock VW beetle wiper assembly works perfectly and is easy to install. A 1973 and later beetle wiper assembly works best; because the wiper arms attach with nuts; that way the splines wont strip. The Beetle assembly installs as one complete unit. It is held in place being bolted to the hood bosses where the wiper shafts go through the fiberglass,just as it is installed in a Beetle. The Beetle also attaches to a under hood piece which buggies don't have. The shafts through hood hold it just fine. The stock wiper assembly should always be the first thing installed, as it takes up a large amount of space within the dash area. The metal wiper assemble needs to be grounded under the dash. Its frame also works great as a main grounding area for other dash items. See how it operates so as not to let its movement interfere with any and all under dash wires. It really is just simply 2 holes drilled through hood bosses and done. If the original rubber gaskets are junk: visit your local hardware store and purchase new rubber washers and new stainless steel washers. The VW shaft nuts are stainless steel and should be reusable. You sandwich the rubber washers between the fiberglass with the stainless washers; thus waterproofing the shaft. The stainless steel washers won't rust from rain and are a must. The Manx and all other buggys are designed to use stock VW beetle wipers. Your doner Beetle will provide the wipers or pick up a swap meet one cheaply. Brand new wiper arms are available, the late model ones fit modern wiper blades from any auto part store. The stock VW unit is a durable piece, and will show if it is worn out. New units are too expensive to consider, so find a good used one. As to a top: I recommend a soft top, I live in a area were rain happens, and I stay dry. When the sun shines the top is folded down and stays with the buggy. With a hard top: you remove it and leave it home, when it rains latter in the day you get wet. Also I have never had a hard top that I didn't bump my bald head on. :lol:50634357
VW Aircooled Society

Post by VW Aircooled Society »

5150bossman wrote:That is a nice unit. Just keep in mind that with it installed on the top of the windshield frame, you won't be able to put either a hard top or soft top on the buggy which leaves the occupants exposed to the full force of the elements (sun, rain etc.).
With my MANUAL WIPER SYSTEM KIT you can mount on the side of your window frame and still have a soft top... i have a photo so i have to to see how i can upload it

Products Manager @ VW Aircooled Society
Innovative Products: http://www.VWAircooledSociety.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'64 Manx Classic Dune Buggy
'67 Split Window Bus
'66 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug
'69 Bay Window Weekender Bus
trugreenguy

Post by trugreenguy »

Hello, I just ordered your manual wiper kit. My buggy has a front roll bar that goes around the inside of the windshield frame, I hope there is enough room between the windshield frame and the roll bar to mount this on the side of my windshield frame as I also have a soft top. I will post a picture if it works out.