Top Rack?

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
cboyles

Top Rack?

Post by cboyles »

Where is a good place to get a top rack that attaches to the windshield frame and single roll bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chicago Joe

Re: Top Rack?

Post by Chicago Joe »

Here is a sample of a DIY top rack that is easy to build and very strong. It was designed by Dave Helland. I used a modified design based on his instructions. Only took a couple of evenings to make it up.

Top Rack Drawings.

5385 5386

Loaded rack on my Manx

2000 BAJA Trip

One of the support tubs was extended towards the front to provide a mount for the 2-way radio.
On this BAJA trip we had 3 ea. 5 gallons of fuel, 1 each 5 gallon of water, a coleman camp stove,
2 sleeping bags, food and beverages for 5 days, 5# of charcoal, clothing for 5 days- we ended
up not using 3 days of clothing. We also had tools, a bottle jack, a piece of plywood to use as a
pad for the jack, camera, tripod for camera, 2 aluminum mess kits, a spare wheel w/tire plus
a ton of stuff I can't remember.

I bet that we had 300# on the rack and had no problems. We also used old worn out coolers to
pack things that we wanted to protect from the elements, and wrapped the whole rack in a
green tarp that was also used as a ground cloth and wind protection. The rack went on and off
the buggy in 10 minutes.

10 years later I think that I would cut the load in half and have more fun. Use you imagination
and find ways to have multiple use for every thing you put on the rack,
cboyles

Re: Top Rack?

Post by cboyles »

Wow, looks good! Thanks