Shock Recommendations

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
YellowTowd3582

Shock Recommendations

Post by YellowTowd3582 »

I am looking to upgrade my shocks on my Tow'd.  After this weekend at Big Bear, it took quite a beating.   It survived unscathed, well almost, but would like to find a more forgiving shock package.  Any recommendations on shocks and where to buy them?
Lee-Hoffer

Shock Recommendations

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

I have been running Fox class 11 shocks on my Manx for the past eight years, and I would definitely use them again if I were to do it all over. They can be rebuilt / revalved, so you can experiment until the ride is just right. I bought mine at McKenzie's (http://mckenzies.com/), and have had them revalved by Rich, who still works there. The rear shocks have reservoirs, but the fronts do not. I can drive the buggy on rough roads all day, and the shocks never fade. The only drawback is the price, but I feel they were worth the extra cost 100%.
5150bossman

Shock Recommendations

Post by 5150bossman »

The conventional wisdom is for a FG buggy to use a stock, NON GAS shock for an old Beetle.  Some even say old blown shocks will work since a FG buggy is so much lighter than a stock Beetle.  I am running OLD KYB gas shocks all the way around and they work just fine, though if I were to replace the front shocks with new ones, I'm not sure how much that would affect the ride.  Also make sure you have liberally lubed the front beam (both sides upper and lower).  When we first got our buggy, the ride was bone jarring.  After lubing the beam (and a couple of good off road runs), it loosened up very nicely.  It must not have been lubed for several years by the previous owner.
GotManx

Shock Recommendations

Post by GotManx »

The Fox shocks are probalby the best way to go because of the adjustability.  The worn out oil shocks on the front work good.  For the rear a medium priced Bilstein (maybe around $100)shock works well.  I've got the KYB GR-2 on the front of my Classic Manx and Bilstein's on the rear and it seams to ride nice and handle the bumps.