AN6 or AN8 VW Fuel tank Fitting & Other part sources.

Where did you get that part or get that work done? If you have a gadget or service to share, please do!
Tom-Szwajkos

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

CB Performance sells a neat AN6 or AN8 VW fuel tank adapter assembly.  It allows you to connect a flared tube &/or stainless steel braided flex line to your existing VW fuel tank.  The CB performance # are 3288 for the AN6  and #3289 for the AN8. Web site price is $7.95.  Many times I see VW's with the rubber fuel lines and the see thru filters.  This type assembly is a FIRE waiting to happen.  My son was in a VW that started on fire when the cloth braided OEM rubber fuel line failed.  You should use stainless steel braided fuel line whenever you go from the solid metal fuel line to the tank or carb.

CB also has an  aluminum racing spring plate cover set for swing axles.  The part # is 6231 for $36.95.  I saw a set on a new Kick Out Manx at the VW Classic and they really looked nice.  Plus you could polish or powder coat them some wild colors.  They look alot better than the OEM covers. For swing axles only.
CB Perfornamce web site is http://www.cbperformance.com/

Another great site for parts is Speedway Motors.  They supply a lot of hot rod parts that can easily be adapted to your buggy.  They have great prices on gauges and other accessories. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

Last but not least if you need metric hardware or other special  items, try McMaster-Carr.  you can buy just about anything from them.  They carry almost every possible size and type of grade 6 and grade 8 stainless steel hardware that you will need for your Manx.  http://www.mcmaster.com/

My Manx has a 180 HP Corvair Turbo with a Corvair Transaxle.  I did not even try to use the VW clutch cable. If you install a HD clutch you should look at a hydraulic clutch assy or push/pull cable assy.  I intalled a jacketed push/pull cable assy in my Manx.  The company that made the clutch cable assy stated it was the same cable diameter that they use on a Kenworth truck.  I have never adjusted it since it was installed over eight years ago.  This cable will never stretch or break.  I purchased two of the cable bracket adapters and installed one in the shifter tunnel and one at the clutch arm.  If you're having clutch cable issues this is the way to go.

Good luck!

Tom 
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Tom,

The aluminum spring plate covers are for use with the short torsion bars 21 3/4in. Can be used on IRS by coverting back to the short bars. This what I did for tire clearance and used adjustable spring plates on my Kick-Out. Also switch from a 22mm to a 21mm diameter bar from a 67-68 swing axle bug to soften the ride.

I am also using SACO yellow spring plate grommets as they squeak less. They don't make a 2in ID grommet so I had to use a 1 7/8in ID bushing and machine it out on a lathe. Thanks to Mike at KarTek for the idea of freezing them be trying to machine them.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970