June '68 Manx Period Restoration

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
calebmelvin

Re: June '68 Manx Period Restoration

Post by calebmelvin »

Not much to report. I did get the NOS Lucas signals mounted today. And finally put on my registry tag. Progress! haha

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

I always feel like things come in bursts. Right now I am waiting on the wiring harness and after that a lot can get done quickly!

I did work on one project that has been on my list for a while. I fabricated the sheet metal panel that came with the kit to fill in under the license plate. It actually wasn't bad to make. Got my plates on as well!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Got a little more work done today. The roll bar is finally in! And I started working on my tin in anticipation of the motor being completed soon.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Well my Dune Buggy Brothers wiring harness came in today. I would highly recommend it. Like a kid at Christmas, I immediately started putting it in. The harness was the first piece in the puzzle to get this thing looking like a buggy at last.

Once that was in place I was able to get the hood and windshield on. I forgot that the dash frame needs some bending so I fought with that for a bit to make it work.

Then got the headlights on so it looks like a real buggy!

I am really liking how it is turning out. I still have a bit of small stuff to get squared away before the motor is done. I am hoping to have it driving in a month or less, just in time for summer!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

I started prepping the top this weekend. I needed to put some glue to tack a few areas of the trim (hence the tape).

I also fitted the seal for the gas filler on the hood. It is fun to start on the small details.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

So the first of my fun period finds are these correct "bell shaped" Manx wheels. They have an interesting history. They came off of the great VW pioneer Lee Leighton's drag Manx. The buggy is still in the family (with a more road worthy set of wheels and tires) but I was able to secure these beauties for my build.

I also got a set of NOS Gates for the rears. I had the wheels powder coated to match my fronts and will be putting them on for shows and whatnot.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

A little more work today! Still hooking up wires but getting close to done there.

Did get the steering column mounted along with a NOS signal switch, and my restored Koch steering wheel on. Also put on some other goodies. NOS Delswift was mounted, along with my spare tire bracket and CB antenna. I love these small details.

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

A couple more period details I am working on now. I have a set of OG Manx valve covers that are going to go on the Manxpower motor as soon as it is ready. Also found a Shoemaker Pretzel exhaust that I am going to use as a template to make a reproduction. Can't wait!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

So......

Life is fun isn't it? I've had some family stuff going on, along with working crazy hours, and haven't been able to touch the buggy in a while. I was really feeling like it wasn't going to get done this year.

But a couple friends of mine volunteered to help get the final items (the seats and engine) put in and get it on the road. They picked up the buggy from my house last week and took it to Cameron's shop, which is amazing. He and Josh got to work on the seats first.

They immediately ran into problems. The pans were good, but those funky seat mounts that the first owner put in were problematic. They started to try to make it work but threw in the towel and sent me this photo with the caption "sorry". :shock:

They pulled the body off and realized that the easiest way to make it work is to replace those pans completely. They were a bit funky and they had a new set of WW pans in the shop, so next thing I know they were sending me these photos.

In a two day period they got them done. It was insane!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Next up was getting the motor in. I built a Manxpower stage II from a very nice cam bearing 40hp case. It was built by John at Morris Race Engines. They used the Shoemaker Pretzel exhaust I found as a template to create an exact replica. I think it turned out very well and sounds amazing!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Next they worked on the seats. Since we now had some stock seat tracks, they decided to use a set of stock seats and cut down the frames to make them look correct. Using this photo as inspiration, they sourced some period correct vinyl and made these custom covers. I am super excited about them!

calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

It is done!! Got the finishing touch (the top) on it and went for a spin. The kids love it.

I also tested out my "show wheels". A pair of Manx bell shaped wheels with NOS Gates for the rear. They look so good!

rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Well done, sir! Well done!!!!!
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S