'66 Manx Period Build - Milo

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
calebmelvin

'66 Manx Period Build - Milo

Post by calebmelvin »

From the time I can remember by Dad had VW's. Baja's, buggies and the occasional sedan where always in my driveway. I can distinctly remember bouncing around in the backseat of a Baja when I was 5, smelling the "VW aroma" of gas and exhaust fumes, and the musty horsehair seats. The ones that drew me the most were the buggies though. They reminded me of a cartoon, super fun but don't take themselves too seriously. I always wanted one.

When I was 18 I happened to run across an old buggy down a dead end alley, just sitting in someones back yard with a for sale sign on it. Obviously they were in no hurry to sell, but something told me to knock on the door and so I went. After meeting a very nice older gentleman and establishing myself to be trustworthy (my dad knew his son somehow), I drove away with a nice little Manx clone and $300 less in my pocket.

That summer was incredible, I drove that thing everywhere. Trails, street, up mountains, down mountains...places I had no business being. I even got a reckless driving ticket for "racing", although that term was used very loosely by the officer because I never exceed 40mph, but with the exhaust I had you could hear me from across town. I was hooked. I passed that buggy on to someone else at the end of the summer and bought a bus, and then a bug, and then...you know the story, 30+ VWs later I am still looking for that next project. Well here it is.

I grew up in the early 80's, so I never got to experience the thrill of buying a kit from Bruce and building your own honest to goodness Manx. I did build another clone after my first buggy, but it just wasn't the same. When I heard Bruce was releasing the New Classic Manx's this year, I knew this was going to my last (and only) chance to go back in time and have this experience. Plus my son is now 5, it is a great chance to pass this love of VWs on to him!

I am sort of a stock purest. I love history and think driving a 100% correct reproduction of a car is as close as you can get to going back in time. I knew right away that if I am going to build this thing, I am going to go back to 1968 and build it as close to the Meyers catalog as I can.

Here is where I started. I picked up a very nice donor buggy with excellent pans and running gear. I had shortened a buggy pan before and knew that it was an experience I didn't need to relive. :)

I was debating on the color so I created a poll here and you all helped me pick the color. Top Tomato was our winner and we ordered it from Winnie. Here is is coming off the truck. New Classic Manx #54.

Last edited by calebmelvin on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
rzeller

Re: '66 Manx Period Build - Milo

Post by rzeller »

Cool story. Can't wait to see the progress pictures.
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

So between these two updates my Mom passed away. She was 56, healthy, but pancreatic cancer is a bitch and took her. I worked on the buggy quite a bit but forgot to take many photos. Getting the body on was easier than I expected. With the holes already in the pan it was just a matter of drilling and bolting. The roll bar took some creative thinking though. I ended up using a ratchet strap to bring in the lower ends slightly so it could slide down into the body and then mounted it up. Releasing the strap was a bit tricky but I did it.

Glassing the dash was an adventure. I used the instructions Vince had here and even drilled the holes to use the washer method. It didn't hurt that my step-dad, who used to be an airframe mechanic, helped out. Test fitted the windshield ... I think it turned out pretty nice!

langan

Post by langan »

Wow, looking great!
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

Well they say when it rains it pours right? Well not long after we lost my Mom we had our second child, a baby girl! Considering all of the craziness I actually got a lot done on the buggy. My wheels came in and I had them powder coated. They are widened bug smoothies, 6" front and 8" rears. I eventually want to get correct bell wheels for the rear, but that is going to take some time to source...these will do for now. The tires are MT mini-mags on the front and ATZ rears. I also test fitted the top and put on a set of NOS Racimex headlights. I am really liking the look!

rzeller

Post by rzeller »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Holy smokes that's looking great. I have a couple of questions for you. The MT Mini Mags: is your primary driving going to be off-road or are you expecting these tires to handle street driving duties? Second (and related to the first question): the MT ATZ tires, are they for off-roading in sandy conditions or more hard-packed terrain?

Beautiful buggy.

Thanks,
Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Those front tires are awesome but I would expect some rubbing. If not already done; make a steering stop by adding one long bolt to the backing plate on each side, then grind to to needed stopping point.

Build looks great and where did you get the back rims?
John & Sonya Kieslich
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

rzeller wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: Holy smokes that's looking great. I have a couple of questions for you. The MT Mini Mags: is your primary driving going to be off-road or are you expecting these tires to handle street driving duties? Second (and related to the first question): the MT ATZ tires, are they for off-roading in sandy conditions or more hard-packed terrain?

Beautiful buggy.

Thanks,
Bud
Thanks so much! It will be used for road driving (slow, around town) and trails. Around here it is going to be for hard-packed terrain. I plan on getting a set of sand tires for when that becomes an option.
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

jhkinca wrote:Those front tires are awesome but I would expect some rubbing. If not already done; make a steering stop by adding one long bolt to the backing plate on each side, then grind to to needed stopping point.

Build looks great and where did you get the back rims?
Thanks! Great idea, I need to look into making them. Don't want too much rubbing. The wheels were made by this fella: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1172589
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

More progress! I had a nice set of German tail light housings and a '66 license light chromed (that was not cheap) and got them installed. Really made the tail pop!

langan

Post by langan »

Very nice, my favorite light set up.
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

langan wrote:Very nice, my favorite light set up.
Thanks langan!!
calebmelvin

Post by calebmelvin »

We have been super snowed in but when it cleared I was able to get a couple things done. I put on some Lucas signals to round out the front. I went back and forth on clear or amber but I decided on the ambers. I also started working on the top attachment. I have it attached to the roll bar now and have an idea for the front, but am waiting for parts. I'll post an update when I get it done.

Last edited by calebmelvin on Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

That is looking Awesome! and coming together rather quickly, great job! Will you be bringing it to the Texas event by chance?
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
principiab

Post by principiab »

What a beautiful build! Looks like an original black CA plate which you don't see too often. Hope to be able to see it in person at some point!

Connie Breedlove
Member #1634
Manx Club Vice President &
Sponsor Coordinator