Fiber jet Rough Terrain build

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
Willstang

Re: Fiber jet Rough Terrain build

Post by Willstang »

So I finally spoke to my engine builder about the overheating issue and after he gave me his speech on proper engine tins and flaps (which I have) I asked about my compression numbers and he flipped out asking why I would build such a high compression motor. 170 psi for most cylinders. This puts it in the 10:1 category or higher. I then asked him why he built mine that way. So he is now in the process of getting the compression ratio correct to a milder engine. I suppose it won’t be as quick as it was but I’ll take a slower engine to one that gets HOT in less than 15 minuets of mild driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

WillStang - Not sure if you have your engine overheating issue fully resolved; you are real close to GEMVW (Menifee CA). He is very knowledgeable; does all machining in house, and will break-in/tune the engine with your carb and dist. All you do is put in car and drive away. Just throwing this out there should you need a plan "B".
John & Sonya Kieslich
Willstang

Post by Willstang »

GOOD NEWS GOOD NEWS:
I have picked up my motor from the builder and installed it yesterday morning. It has had its compression lowered quite a bit as it doesn’t shake much when starting, starts pretty easily and runs very nice. It idles smoother and most importantly didn’t get HOT! It did loose some power but it still is fun to drive and second gear still pulls pretty well. It is easier to get off of idle and into city driving where before the throttle was so touchy and would easily get over 3k with just a slight tap on the pedal. My son and I went for a drive and didn’t shut it down for over two hours driving through Bee Canyon (after being stung by a bee) bouncing along the trail as fast as I dared to go. So much fun to have it good again. Probably going for a trail run today.

On another positive note, last weekend I installed larger rear turn signals (without blinker fluid) to match the brake lights and now my blinkers work while the engine is running. I do have a digital flasher because I had small led lights before. With the motor off they blink but while the engine was running they didn’t ,just would light up so I would resort to manually turning them on and off in random patterns just to amuse me. For what ever reason they all now work and I am happy about that.

Willstang

Post by Willstang »

jhkinca wrote:WillStang - Not sure if you have your engine overheating issue fully resolved; you are real close to GEMVW (Menifee CA). He is very knowledgeable; does all machining in house, and will break-in/tune the engine with your carb and dist. All you do is put in car and drive away. Just throwing this out there should you need a plan "B".
Thanks jhkinca,

I had called GEMVW after meeting you in Big Bear last year and just couldn’t get the timing right with him to take the car in and have him work on it. I have heard great things about that shop and if I were in the market for another motor that is where I would go.

jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Sounds like you have everything sorted out; great news and see you on the trail soon.
John & Sonya Kieslich