Believe it or Not!

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
laughlin riverrat

Believe it or Not!

Post by laughlin riverrat »

Believe it or not!

So, about 20 years ago I see this little metal flake buggy sitting on a corner for sale in a little desert town in southern Nevada population approx 2500. Some of you may have heard of Laughlin Nevada? I thought it was a cool looking buggy with 4 seats and real low sides. I thought it was a home made job but I liked it and ended up contacting the seller and buying it. Over the years I started to fix it up. I had the motor rebuilt, I put some carpet in it and different wheels and tires and added some lights and finally I had a buddy paint it. After about 10 years of owning it I wanted to know if this was a home made job or did some body make this thing as I had no seen anything like it. So I consulted the 8th wonder of the world…the Internet. I started to look at all the different sites that dealt with dune buggies. I found by the back seat a little metal tag with a faded B F M something or other and a clearly stamped number R0075F010E. I end up talking to this guy named Tom and he says “Based on the Manx codes on the Manx Club web site - R = Resorter, 0075 = # 75 in production, F = June, 0 = 1970 & 10E is the color code. I would have to dig more for the color codes. Is it original gel coat? I didn't know they made so many Resorters ( I have also heard them called Tourista's which is why I called it that at 1st). Tom”
I am thinking wtf is a Resorter? Well I found out all about resorters. Basically a limited production buggy built for hotel chains in Hawaii and the Caribbean. That explained the low sides and the bars that come down. I found out about B.F. Meyers and Co and the history of the company. And what really floored me was when I read this”…. In subsequent years B.F. Meyers & Co. built 5,280 Manx kits, several hundred Manx 2's, about 1,000 Meyers Tow’ds, a couple of hundred Manx SR’s and 75 Resorters - a total of nearly 7,000 kits.” 75 resorters!!! No F W! Ya Way!
There is so much more to tell but over the 20 +/- years that I owned it I have driven it MAYBE 500 miles maybe. It just sits you would thing living out it the desert I should be out working it but NOT I do not want to bend my aluminum wheels :) and getting it dirty... the garage queen can not get dirty! Actually, I may put it up for sale in the near future as it just sits. I am number 327 on the manx registry. Anyway, that is my story believe it or not!
tgodber

Re: Believe it or Not!

Post by tgodber »

You should drive it. Have some fun. Life is too short to let that beauty sit in a garage.

They make aluminum rims and paint every day!