Help with New windshield install

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
mstokes

Help with New windshield install

Post by mstokes »

I have been doing a Restoration on my Manx and now am up to installing the New windshiled. Of course I want to utilize the existing holes in my dash and metal dash frame. The problem is getting the windshield in the exact correct location with enough downward pressure to flatten the new rubber gasket, so I can mark the hole locations on the windshield frame legs (from inside and under the dash) The new rubber gasket wants to roll away (and move the bottom of the windshield forward) when downward pressure is applied. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for this task? Thanks Mike
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

On my past two Manxes I've ha to trim the rear lip off the seal so they would sit correctly with the screen at the correct angle, ie not too upright. These cars both had hoods with the dases moulded in one with them so not too sure if yours is the earlier type...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

If you believe the original builder did a good job mounting the windshield, using all the original holes is a good idea. Bruce has said the slope of the windshield should follow the angle of the rear of the hood and the holes should be right on the seam between the hood and dash. The legs of the windshild frame cover the seam. If you're reusing the original windshield, reusing the original holes in the frame makes good sense. If you have a new fiberglass dash, and are repainting the body, you might want to consider drilling new holes in the hood/dash. You could also weld up and redrill holes in the dash frame if needed. The frame needs to be modified for a fiberglass dash anyway.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I put 2 strings lengthwise under the rubber gasket, leaving a considerable amount of string hanging out that you can grab, when the windshield frame and rubber had pressure on them, I had someone grab both ends of one of the strings and slowly pull. This pulled the lip of the rubber out from under the frame and allowed the frame to drop in further. Repeat the process on the other string. I also used lots of liquid dish soap. This is the best pic I have of the finished product. Image
manxfwin

winshield

Post by manxfwin »

Check out the post on windshield bolts,the bolts and brackets idea is the best way to go.Even though I used the carriage bolts/slide the frame over them etc.I can see that the bracket idea is by far the easier method.