Manx 2 dash pics

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
garthom

Manx 2 dash pics

Post by garthom »

I'm looking for pics of gauge location on dash of manx 2. I want to find a location for tach & Speedo so I am able to see them easily. Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary
markmark

Post by markmark »

Here's my dash which is pretty much a copy of the Manx 2. Image I cut a big hole in mine so the instrument panel is removeable so that I can have access to the wiring at a later date. Image
markmark

Post by markmark »

The instrument panel... Image
Gene-C

Dash Pics

Post by Gene-C »

I made templates of each gauge, switch, and the speedo/tach combo and overlaid them on a piece of aluminum that was cut to serve as the dash itself. I kept moving the templates until I got the layout I wanted. Do not be in a hurry, you will look at this for a long time after it is installed in your buggy. The first two pics have the aluminum with a light coat of line-X bed liner applied for a sealed textured finish. Image Image The following dash is made of formica laminate in a birch pattern using very old school Stewart-Warner 1965 era gauges. Image For the MANXTER, I followed the same approach. The dash was powderedcoated aluminum. Also be sure to consider the wiring technique used behind the dash -- Neatness counts. Especially if you need to rework some of the wiring. Again, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! Image
Gene-C

More Dash Pics

Post by Gene-C »

Gotta love the 4 pic limit per post. Anyway, here is a shot behind the dash. Image
ManxRob

Post by ManxRob »

Here is my Manx dash. Gages from left to right: Turbo Boost, Tachometer, VW Speedo w fuel gage, Cylinder head temperature, Oil Pressure. I suggest you take into account seating position and steering wheel location in your dash planning. I find I have to move my head to see the tachometer. Also the reach is rather long to the wiper switch on the far right. The ABS dash cutouts will be covered by upholstered fiberglass patch panels. Image I too have questions about the Manx2 dash. My Manx2 dash is quite different from my Manx dash. The photos showa side X side comparisons of my Manx2 dash (white) with a ManxClub supplied new replacement dash, (which has the same shape as my old ABS Manx dash): Image 1) The Manx2 dash looks to be a smooth black gel-coated fiberglass factory bounded to the hood. 2) The Manx2 seems to have a taller instrument panel, though this may just be my aluminum plate patched dash. This could help ease speedometer installation and reduce interference problems with the VW wiper motor. 3) The Manx2 dash does not have as deep an ?eyebrow? return from the windscreen. Image 4) The Manx2 appears to have a cutout on the bottom that would make underdash wiring much more convenient for fat fingered folks like me. I am trying to verify this though. Image My Manx2 is going to be a restoration project, so I would prefer not to replace the dash with the available Manx replacement. Does anybody have an underside view of an un-patched Manx2 dash that I could use to pattern my repairs? I?m particularly interested in the existence of, and size of the relief cutout below the gage cluster. There doesn?t seem to be a provision for any steering column support/brace on my Manx2 dash. Does anybody have a copy of the Manx2 assembly instructions that can explain what the factory intended for steering column attachment? Thanks
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

http://www.meyersmanx.com/classifieds/s ... roduct=351 SeabeeBuggy is advertizing an unused Manx II shell in the classifieds (link above). Ask if he will post a pic of the dash underside...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Here is a picture of the dash on one of my Manx bodys. The body is a Manx and the hood is Manx II, sort of. I was told the dash shape is Manx II. My guess is, the body was built during the transition when Bruce was leaving. Image