The Volvo Burro

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
steve heckert

The Volvo Burro

Post by steve heckert »

Here are some pictures of the Volvo powered Burro that raced in the 1968 Baja 1000 and was driven by Bob Sinclair and Bob Anderson. There were a lot of pictures of this Burro coming across the finish line on three wheels. The Burro was rolled about 60 miles from La Paz and the left fron spindle was broke off. I bought this Burro from Bob Sinclair a couple of years ago in very poor condition. I restored the Burro back to the way it looked at the 1968 Baja 1000. Dirtsports and Dune Buggy & Hot VWs both did write ups on the Burro after I restored it. I sold the Burro back to Bob Sinclair a year ago. The pictures show the Burro before I restored it and after I finished. Steve 1949
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Steve, thats an Interesting story,,, nice work :cool: Which Volvo motor did they uses back then, or from which sedan?
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

Steve If I remember correctly you in or near Granite Bay huh. (update: never mind I just realized it was in your profile) I did enjoy the story and the background of the burro in Hot VWs. too bad its gone wuold have liked to have seen it for in perrson.
steve heckert

The Volvo Burro

Post by steve heckert »

Carlton Yes I am in Granite Bay, I still think of it as Roseville though. I still have the Burro # 8. Are you in my area?
steve heckert

Post by steve heckert »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]Steve, thats an Interesting story,,, nice work :cool: Which Volvo motor did they uses back then, or from which sedan?[/QUOTE] It has the B 18 motor in it and Crown made the adapter and modified flywheel.
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

I live up in placerville. Dennis (Dennis & cathy) usually organizes some sort of breakfast/ lunch in the area usually in the fall/spring we all show up somewhere in the sac area nice bunch of guys/gals and toys that are driven in. Check it out http://p066.ezboard.com/brbcdunebuggy RBC seems to be a "club" that is not a club more like minded folks with buggies, or what not. Real low key. A and there are about 10 -20 people around here as well. Maybe more! most are members of Manx Club