Iron Bottom 500

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
Gigantalope

Iron Bottom 500

Post by Gigantalope »

Hey Gear Heads...in April every year there is a sort of "Underground" Drive/Race that begins at the Rose Bowl and ends at a Mexican Restaurant in Salinas. It's called the Iron Bottom No Frills 500. It's sort of based on the old Pan-Am road race in Mexico, and it's for '73 and older vehicles. There are lots of folks in Euro Rallye rigs, and others in such things as Vista Crusiers with a bar in the back, so ya'know the jackassery level is pretty high. It's really difficult to find info on the event, because nobody involved is stupid enough to use thier real name, however it does occur. for three years now I've been juggling stuff, and expect to have my Tourista running and in the event, get time off and be ready. It would be swell if anybody else in thier Manxs jumped in too. I don't know how the race prizes work, but I think you are considered a "Winner" if you make it to the Mexican Restaurant in Salinas before they run out of beer. Paul
Gigantalope

Iron Bottom Revisited in a Buggy

Post by Gigantalope »

Hey there Amigos, last year I posted a bit of info on the Iron Bottom No Frills Motor Tour...3 days of driving sportycar fun. This past year, after bugging folks here with a million moronic questions, I finally got my Tourista finished and was able to embark on high adventure in my Buggy wearing my finest Kilt. The event is roughly 1086 miles, and the company is such low-brow rigs as Gullwings, Lamborghinis, Alfas, Jags, and so on. http://www.flickr.com/photos/21199629@N06/sets/72157604547624685/ Not everybody was super excited about me keeping up thru the twisites with the more elite cars, but most people were quite friendly. Things did get a bit unsteady above 75mph, and that's where my playmates, on long straight roads would leave me behind. The event has been going on for 10 years, and while I would be happy to invite everybody to join the fun next year...there won't be a next year thanks to some really foolish behavior. Thanks to all the folks who answered my questiosn about tires, displacment, beer, electrical, morros, and so on. Paul