Old new member updates on Manx Body

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
flaboyjim

Old new member updates on Manx Body

Post by flaboyjim »

Some of the new guys might not know me, and some of the "old" guys might not remember me (that is the second thing to go). After too many years, I have gotten the Manx body painted - thought that I would share it. This flame job is invisible when viewed straight on, but in the sun, the phantom flake from Paint with Pearl flip flops and pops the flames out..... Sparkle Sparkle I always say....
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Beautiful job! Can you describe what the process was for applying the metal flake? Was the original paint flake? Did they have to take all the old surface off first? I understand you need to put a black primer coat on when you use flake?
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Exceptional !
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

glad you ask - from start to finish - the body was blue when Bruce made it, but someone along the way painted it several colors and ran into something with the left hand front. They tried to fix it, but really botched the job. I had a boat place sandblast it then fiberglass all the holes and fix the front end, final was to have the boat company re-gel coat the entire car with black gel coat. this was used for the base. It was then painted blue and the flake applied a little at a time to keep any from "standing up", followed by thin coats of clear, then more flake. Then sanding, then clear, sanding clear etc. The flames were a standard stencil purchased from a local automotive paint supplier. They were applied and then pulled clean in the middle. the paint with pearl flip flop gold flake was applied and left to dry. three more coats of clear and liberal sanding over to level the hood out and here we are....
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Welcome back to the fold Jim!!! Awesome paint-job!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I thought it was going to be "DEERE GREEN !" :D :D :D :D