Anybody Using a Rotery Engine?

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
Gigantalope

Anybody Using a Rotery Engine?

Post by Gigantalope »

Sorry if this topic is old, I searched it, and could not find. I'm in the slow process if getting my Resorter back going, and hope to get a new engine for it. I was thinking of a modern VW 1900 however, a few guys here had been raving about how well the Roterys do in Buggys. Of course, nobody who spoke about it has one, but everybody had heard what an easy fit it is, and how well everything works. I am worried about reliability, as the Roterys are known to be quirky. Also they get quite hot. I understand they are thirsty...is this tru in a light vehicle like a Manx? Is the sound horrible? I would drive it more on the street than off road, but it's going to be set up for trails. I look forward to any tips, advice, rants and lies on the topic. Cheers
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Between the awful amount of exhaust noise, finding a place for the radiator, the cost of the adapters to install it, poor fuel economy and the inherent "quirkyness" of the rotary engine, I can see no reason for even considering one. If you are going to go thru all that work and money, go with a Subi and have a nice dependable improvement on the back of your buggy.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I agree with Jerry that the radiator size/location issue and the need to custom fabricate an exhaust with a big muffler, would be two big negatives for a rotary in a Manx. Also, the engine puts out lots of power but at a higher RPM than a conventional engine so a large ring and pinion gear with a low ratio, like on a Vanagon would probably be necessary. On the postive side, the engine is much smaller and lighter than anything with comparable power and I think they're cheaper than Subaru engines too(nobody wants them). I think if you could figure out how and where to mount the large radiator and electric fan without trashing up the looks of the Manx, it might be worth considering.
joemama

rotary power?

Post by joemama »

Unless your goal is flat out speed, I dont think there is anything wrong with a vw engine, the buggy was designed to work with one, the trans was designed for one, they have been around for ever, and all performance modifications have been tried and proven, you can easily boost stock horsepower by 50 to 100%, and still have a very reliable engine. Granted, fuel injection and hydraulic lifters are nice, but I (and I think most of us), dont understand or can repair fuel injection, and simple maintenance is part of the fun of a buggy. When looking at the cost of an engine, you need to include all of the incidentals, like radiator, custom fuel tank to work with fuel injection, custom exhaust system, reinforcing for heavier weight of engine, engine to trans adapter, possible reworking of gears in the trans to match power curve, possible reworking of the fuel injection computer, and the list goes on. A good friend of mine repowered his sand rail from a 2275 vw to a 5.3 chevy v8, he found a good used engine for 1600.00, but then he spent about twice that much in necessary peripherals, and figures his Mendeola trans is borderline. He is happy with the poer and smoothness of the fuel injection thru the rough stuff.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

At the last Lone Pine I went on the average adventurers run. Bob Lee lead about 25 of us up Mazourka Canyon toward the top of the ridge on the east side of the valley. It was around 10,000 ft. The last couple thousand feet to the summit we were all in first gear the whole time. Just before the top, we came to a steeper section with a lot of loose shale. The guys in the light buggies like Towds or those with bigger engines made it to the top. These guys got their speed up on a flatter section and held their gas pedals to the floor the whole way up the steep part. There were seven of us who basically ran out of power on the steep section. If you slowed or stopped, it was all over and you had to turn around. My buggy had a stock dual port 1600. Driving around town its got plenty of power. Even on the freeway it will do 80, keep up with traffic and pass trucks. But up around 10,000 ft., when I'm carrying tools, a cooler and a passenger, I need more than stock VW power. I'm planning on a reverse rotation 2.7L Corvair engine with either fuel injection or a turbo/fuel injection on a 094 transaxle. I'm looking forward to installing and sorting out a Megasquirt computer fuel injection and crank trigger ignition system. A Subaru or a Mazda rotary would both be good and probably cheaper options but I've never seen a practical/decent looking radiator installation on a swb Manx.
joemama

rotary power?

Post by joemama »

On my buggie I have a 1915, 110 engle cam, stock dual port heads, lightened flywheel, 009 with compufire, Manx sidewinder exhaust, single Zenith 32 2 barrel carb, a couple of years ago I drove it up and down the Tioga Pass Road into Tuolemne Meadows, at its highest point, it is over 11,000 feet, I had with me, my wife, 11 year old daughter, 14 year old son, the buggie had enough torque to climb the pass in 3rd gear, granted, this is a smooth paved road, and I could build up and maintain normal speed, unlike a rough curvy road. I built the engine my self, using a used case machined by Rimco, and some low mileage used heads, used rebuilt carburetor, all else was new, including the tin, as I did not have an engine at the time, cost was less than 1300.00. That was about 5 years ago.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"] I've never seen a practical/decent looking radiator installation on a swb Manx.[/QUOTE] Could you not run water pipe-work under the fenders & fix the radiator under the hood where the fuel tank would go,, then vent the hood with a hood scoop & fit an electric fan, maybe relocate the fuel tank to the rear?.Just a thought. Hey, CairoManx & Joemama.. I enjoyed reading about your high altitude adventures,, sounds great,, a good challenge for the old 1600 d/p & its driver,, aint that what its all about?? :rock: :D
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

There is plenty of room for a radiator in the front of a buggy. I've seen them there. It can be done very discretely with a minimum of cutting needed for an intake vent at the front. Make sure that the pipes to and from the front are not side by side or the hot pipe to the radiator will heat up the return pipe.
Lee

Post by Lee »

CairoManx, One thing that will help is better ignition. If you are running points or just a Compufire / Pertronix points replacement module, there's one other improvement you can make. A CDI module will give ANY engine more power over just points (or Compufire / Pertronix module). If you aren't running one, you should be. You get more complete combustion, which helps in those high altitude rich running conditions. It also improves fuel economy, which means longer range. I am using a Mallory HyFire VI-A and am very happy with it. The Compufire points replacement module works great with it. The CDI module works with a stock coil, so if it fails you simply bypass it. http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproduc ... 04&cartid= CDI will really wake up a stock engine. I can only imagine what it would do for a larger engine!
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Lee, I think you're right, a CDI would probably be a good idea. I have a standard compufire and blue coil but not a CDI. It probably would make a difference. I got hold of a live CDI ignition spark plug wire on a motorcycle once. Wow! However, I'm already getting Corvair parts together. I have a 140hp engine and an VW adapter. I'm definitely going to rebuild it with reverse rotation but am still making up my mind whether to turbo it and/or use the big valve heads. Mel, I posted a pic I shot on the trail at Lone Pine. Sorry its so small. I'll try again to get the pixel thing sorted out.