Axel Bearing Question

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
L0084MC

Axel Bearing Question

Post by L0084MC »

When installing a new outer axle bearing.( swing axle ) once it is pressed into place should there be any play or movement in the axle. Should you be able to pull and push the axle back and pull it forward? (about 1/4 inch)
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

Yep. As long as you put the approprate number of gaskets behind the Swing arm Cover. the axle should move in and out. it will snug uw when you torque the biga$$ nut. It allows for the length change in the axle during up and down movement. I found out the hard way I had allowed the pivot plates to fall behind the axle inside the tranny. Kept getting a false reading and no end play. Boy was it hard to find replacements...... Carlton
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Once you install the spacers, seals, gaskets, slingers and brake drums and torque the nuts on the drums, there won't be any more in and out movement.
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

ok thanks, all of that information makes me feel better. I was thinking I was doing something wrong. I was sure it would leak oil if I put it back together like that.