Electrical Question

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
bountyhunterdm

Electrical Question

Post by bountyhunterdm »

I'm testing as I hook up my wiring and this came up. When I turn the key to the ON position, I get continuity on the starter selenoid lead.I have the coil + connected to the key "on" switch lead and the selenoid wire connected to the start position switch lead. This means to me , when I turn the switch to the on position, it will activate the starter . When I test the switch without wires connected, it checks out good. If I remove the wire form the starter selenoid, the switch tests good. Now the question is, is using a continuity tester a good method. I'm I seeing the ground bleeding over making it look like there's a connection? Should I just test it with power? :x
fubar

Post by fubar »

A test light should work. Or make sure it is in nuetral and try it out.
croakintowd

electrical question

Post by croakintowd »

Howdy, While wiring my buggy, I found that the new ignition switch was junk. When I tightened the nuts that hold the wires on, the post would spin a little, and in turn, change the position of the contacts inside the switch. This made things be "on" that should be "off", and vice versa. I bought a better switch, and all is well. I'm not real good at reading a problem and seeing it in my head, but I'll give this a whirl. The wire from the battery should go to the large terminal on the starter. Then from that same terminal a "Main" wire should run to the fuse panel, and switch, headlights, and whatever else needs power under the dash. It should also loop into the ignition switch to provide power to it. Another wire should go from the "Start" terminal, back to the solenoid, and connect to the remaining terminal. The "on" terminal should run to the coil, and anything else you want controlled by the key. So, you should have power to the large terminal on the solenoid all the time, but the smaller terminal should only show power when you turn the key to "start". To check it, just unplug the wire on the small solenoid terminal, attach a test light to the wire and a ground, and turn the key to "start". It should light up when in "start". When you release the key, the light should go out. The coil would "light up" with the key in the "on" position, and stay on until the key is turned "off". I hope this helps. Good luck,
domorr

Post by domorr »

Using a muti meter and checking for continuity is fine for checking the switch. On the wiring I would hook up the battery and use your test light or your meter on the twelve volt setting while having someone turn the key with the car in nuetral. This would tell you the amount of battery voltage. The ground thing is what bothers me. If you checked for continuity with the battery hooked up and your meter in the OHM's position you probbely fried your meter.