Manx Restorations, Arcadia, CA, 1978

Show us your dune buggies! Empi Imps, Bounty Hunters, Funco Wampuskitties, Veeps, Hooker Wallabugs, Llamas, home builts, etc. Good ole buggies!
CairoManx

Manx Restorations, Arcadia, CA, 1978

Post by CairoManx »

In early 1978 there was a small ad in the back of a single issue of DB &HVWs, for a company named Manx Restorations. They were in Arcadia California. I wrote them and got back their 4 page catalog. They listed everything from bodies to bumpers for sale. I ordered and received one of the stainless steel plates that mount the license plate in the back, and fill the carburetor cut out. I also ordered a front emblem. They returned my money for the emblem with an unsigned note saying, they were out and didn't know when they would have any. In 1983 I was transferred To Norton Air Force Base in southern California. I took the opportunity to try and look up Manx Restorations. I drove to Arcadia and found the address listed was a nice older home, just a few blocks from the Santa Anita horse race track. The house was vacant and for sale. The trail for Meyers Manx parts had gone cold. I've always wondered who Manx Restorations was. I've heard a few stories about different companies buying the Manx molds and company assets at auction. I'd really like to know the whole story about what happened after the bankruptcy. I think whoever Manx Restorations was, could probably fill in a big chunk. This also makes me realize how fortunate we are that back in 95 Bruce was inspired to get back into the Manx world. For me, that I can just pick up the phone and call and get a new emblem, bumpers, dashes, rollbars, sidewinder exhausts, etc., is still a little hard to believe. Let me tell you, for a Meyers Manx fanatic, it was a long drought. Image