Buggy's To The Banx, October 11, 2015

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
joescoolcustoms

Buggy's To The Banx, October 11, 2015

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Last year Keith Johnson, (lives 40 minutes from me) and I drove our buggy's to the OBX for the week long Manx On The Banx (MOTB) event, and then back home. In discussion with others, it was apparent that several others want to do this this year. So, here we are, about 75 + days away from the event start and plenty of time to plan this out.

Start Location
I live just outside of Charleston WV and Nags Head NC is 520 miles from my house. A very easy days drive in a buggy. I have found a Host Hotel in Charleston that has given a discount rate for Saturday, 10-10-15 and will the leaving point for this trip. (more on Hotel Info later) This hotel is 504.45 miles from Jennette's Pier in Nags Head NC.

Long Haul League
If you do not know, there is a League of about 75 people who have qualified for, and are in the Long Haul League. The Long Haul League is an award for either riding in a buggy or driving a buggy over 1000 miles one way to a sanctioned Manx Club Event. This is not a round trip total, but an accumulated one way travel to a MC Event. The creation of the award was to encourage people to Drive their buggy's and enjoy them more.

It is possible for people to make a Saturday drive/ride at 500 miles or more getting to Charleston WV, then driving/riding the next day the additional 500 miles to Nags Head NC to total over 1000 miles one way and qualify for the Long Haul League.

This is a honor system, but the integrity needs to be kept if you would like to do this. Bud Zeller did this in June driving from his home to the MOTF Event. Plan your route, post up the route you are taking, take a few pictures showing you are driving the buggy and may have a passenger, a few photo's of landmarks/road sign's and post it up in this thread so it does not get lost on FaceBook, or start a new thread of your journey.

Route Traveling to MOTB
I have traveled several different ways to MOTB and the OBX, pulling trailers, driving direct and in the buggy. The trip I will take is the route I like the best due to traffic patterns, hills crossed and scenery. I will head South out of Charleston WV on I-77 to Mount Airy NC, then onto I-74 East to Winston Salem NC and onto I-40 past Rocky Mount NC onto State Route 64 East into Nags Head.

<iframe style="height: 270px; width: 45 ... ></iframe>

I will post up a map of the route once I figure out how to copy it, or link to it.

Leave Time and Stops
We will leave from the host hotel at 0630. Please have your buggy already fueled, hotel checked out, loaded and ready to ride.

First fuel stop will be in Wytheville VA at a Exxon, about 130 miles from the host hotel. You will travel the entire length of the West Virginia Turnpike and the toll for a buggy is $ 2.00, truck pulling a buggy/trailer will be $ 2.50 each toll. Total of three tolls.

Second Fuel Stop is in Graham NC. About 132 miles from Wytheville VA.

Third Fuel Stop is in Rocky Mount NC and about 111 miles from Graham NC.

No fourth fuel stop because Jennette's Pier is about 138 miles from Rocky Mount NC.

There are several fast food choices at Graham NC for lunch and we will take about 45 minutes for lunch and rest there.

Buggy Prep
If you have not done a trip like this before, expect to travel between 60 to 67 MPH for the distance between fuel stops, pending local speed limits. In a buggy, traveling in a group, this is about a 10 to 10 1/2 hour trip. Fuel stops are planned so even a tilted tank in a buggy should be able to make a 140 mile run. A few of us will be carrying fuel on their buggy's in case.

Your buggy should be in good mechanical and electrical condition. Check your wheel bearings, brakes, tires for dry rot, change oil and fuel filter, update fuel lines if old and hard, check torque on rear axle castle nuts, top off or change transaxle oil, make a spare accel cable and clutch cable, make sure all lights work and wipers are a nice accessory.

Weather
As Bruce Meyers once told me, "you get what you get in a Buggy". It will be the start of Fall and it could be anywhere from cold to nice. Typically it has been in the low to mid 50's when we leave the Charleston WV area. Last year it was a pleasant trip East to MOTB, but upon returning home, it was 42 degree F. Pack your clothes and buggy wear accordingly.

Optional Mountain Trip on Saturday 10-10-15
If you have extra time and are interested, I will lead a tour through the WV mountains on Saturday 10-10-15. A trip across Gauley Mountain, Hawk's Nest, through Historic Anstead, to the New River Gorge Bridge and a trip underneath to Fayette Station driving through the canyon with lunch in Fayetteville WV, then back home across Cotton Hill. About a 6 hour trip and 175 miles.

But let me know 2 weeks before hand so I can pre-run the trip to ensure all roads are passable.

Host Hotel
Holiday Inn located at 107 Alex Lane, Charleston WV 25304
http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/ho ... oteldetail

Quoted a $ 102.00 plus Tax rate for the night of 10-10-15. It is under "The Manx Club" or my Name "Joseph Wheeler". Several fast food and sit down restaurants close by to have dinner/breakfast. Most likely we will have a group dinner on Saturday evening some where close to the Hotel.

No Buggy Left Behind
In the travels I have made, we do not leave a buggy/person behind. I have been on both sides of this. When we travel, we are a family and we take care of each other. If you break down, we either get you fixed, tow you to a better area for repairs, or do not leave until secondary transportation is secured for you and your buggy. It is a buggy code sort of thing.

Chime in and let me know what you think and if you would like to join in on the fun!
RedBaronofRedBud

Re: Buggy's To The Banx, October 11, 2015

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

Barb and I are in! If there are members that would like to join us from St Louis, we will be going on Saturday morning. Joe's is about halfway for us, so if you roll out from the Lou with us, you will be right at 1000 miles when you reach the beach!

Just like Joe said, check your buggy out and make it the best you can. Problems will be handled and Noone left behind.

Barb and I have started wearing earplugs because the wind has been messing with our ears, so I would suggest having a pair.

Joe and I have CB radios. If you have one too, that's great. If you can add one, that works too.

Thanks to Joe for adding this awesome event before the event!!
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

joescoolcustoms wrote: This is a honor system, but the integrity needs to be kept if you would like to do this. Bud Zeller did this in June driving from his home to the MOTF Event. Plan your route, post up the route you are taking, take a few pictures showing you are driving the buggy and may have a passenger, a few photo's of landmarks/road sign's and post it up in this thread so it does not get lost on FaceBook, or start a new thread of your journey.
For anyone that is thinking about joining Joe and has never done a trip like this before, let me tell you from first hand experience that it is a lot of fun and personally rewarding. There is a great deal of satisfaction in making a plan and following through on it. Joe has provided some great ideas for preparation and was one of my resources for my trip. I took a lot of what Joe provided, along with other seasoned buggy travelers, and put together a comprehensive checklist. If you don't want to reinvent the wheel, have a look at my checklist as it might help you out. I will add that I didn't need a single item from my list, but did need something that wasn't on the list - a spare tire :evil: but it all worked out. Here is a link to my thread with the checklist. http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3393

I can't wait to see this merry band of buggy'ers arriving en masse at MOTB 2015. Enjoy the adventure.

Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
LADTOWD

Post by LADTOWD »

Great job at explaining everything Joseph :) Can't wait to see you all again, safe travels ! 8)
ARIZONA
Manx Club #957
Membership Chair
Lily Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
DSBE302 (Ours)
joescoolcustoms

Thanks guys! Can never be too prepared or too safe.

Here is a link to the driving route we will take.

http://mapq.st/1fIAdbF
PowersBuggies

Post by PowersBuggies »

Rebecca plans on doing the "Tow'd on the Road" ... Craig will have the "Manx in the Box" coming down... We're planning on heading down Friday so that we can do the run with Joe through the Mountains etc... the Manx will get to stretch his legs then too.... afterall... W.W.J.W.D???? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Craig and Rebecca
Manx Club #3634
66 Manx/68 Towd - His
67 Tow'd/67 Manx - Hers
67 Dune Buggy - Our Build
69 Empi Imp - Korinne

2016 Goals: Rebecca - Joining the ranks of the Iron Buggy and Long Haul League

***ACCOMPLISHED!***
2015 GOAL: MOTB 2015 HERE WE COME! - With the Tow'd and the Manx!
joescoolcustoms

Have a few updates on the fuel stops for the trip so if you want to run a GPS, you can plug it in.

1. After leaving Charleston, the first stop will be at Exit # 77 on I-81/I-77 (both interstates run together for about 7 miles at Wytheville VA). About 128 miles from the Host Hotel in Charleston WV. 2 hours and 6 minutes travel time estimated.

It is right off the exit to the left across the 4 lane and straight in. Exxon service station and has had clean restrooms in the past.
1286 E Lee Highway
Wytheville VA 24382

2. Leaving Wytheville VA, the next fuel stop will be in Mebane NC. Exit # 154 on I-40/I-85. About 141 miles from the first fuel stop. Again, 2 hours and 13 minutes estimated.

It is right off the exit, turn right and then on the Left. Sheetz service station also has had clean restrooms.
1237 Mebane Oaks Rd
Mebane, NC 27302

This will also be a good place for lunch. Will be about 5 hours into the drive and 4 1/2 to 5 left to go (with stops). There is a Wendy's, McDonalds, Romas's Pizza and sub-sandwich's at Sheetz to choose from.

3. After leaving Lunch in Mebane, we will run to Rocky Mount for fuel stop #3. Exit # 472 off of State Route 64. About 107 miles. Estimated time is 1 hour 43 minutes.

Turn right off of the 4 lane and Exxon on the left with a McDonalds.
1211 E Raleigh Blvd
Rocky Mount, NC 27801

4. Next stop is the OBX! Janette's Pier. About 139 miles and 2 hours and 20 minutes.
7223 S Virginia Dare Trail
Nags Head, NC

The tally on mailes shows 514. But, from experience, it will be a little more due to getting on/off and moving around. More like 520 to 525 total miles.

NOTE: It may sound like this is cut and dried, but it is not and we have the option to change it as it progresses through the day. We may stop in between if we need to and that may change the fuel stops. Or some may add fuel if we stop between. This is a good out line for a decent do-able trip that is not too hard of a run between fill up's for both driver fatigue and mileage range.
Last edited by joescoolcustoms on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joescoolcustoms

Since we are around 6 weeks out, can I get a count on who may be coming on this journey?

When you will make it to Charleston, # of people in your party, if you will be driving a buggy, towing or just tagging along. And if you are going to MOTB, but do not have a buggy, you are still welcome to join in the cruise, just run the rear for us.

Right now I have the following people:

1. Joe and Darlene Wheeler driving a buggy From Saint Albans, WV
2. David and Trish Cash driving a buggy From Cross Lanes, WV
3. Todd and Donna Hudson Driving a buggy From Charleston, WV
4. Wayne and Donna driving a buggy From Milton, WV.
5. Tim and Barb Byrnes driving a buggy from Red Bud, IL
6. Brian Giles driving a buggy from Columbia, SC
7. Wesley Eric Allen driving a buggy from St Mary's, GA
8. Jessica and Rick Ditolvo driving a buggy from Somerset, NJ
9. Tony Meyer driving a buggy from Sedalia, MO
10. Dawn and Marty Gain driving a buggy from Belleville, IL
11. Jeff Holt driving a buggy from Columbia SC
12. Bill Synk and Sandy trailering the buggy out of Cleveland OH

Thanks!!
Last edited by joescoolcustoms on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RedBaronofRedBud

Tony Meyer will be driving from Sedalia, MO in a buggy and Marty Gain and Dawn will be driving a buggy from Belleville, IL. We will all three come together on Saturday
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

joescoolcustoms

WOW! This is going to be a large event and rolling 12 buggy's into the OBX on Sunday evening.

Thanks all that have responded. I am working on a couple more to try and get them to come along.
TSFR

Post by TSFR »

There's a strong possibility that I will be tagging along on this adventure. I'm right at 450 miles away from you so, I may have to do a few laps around the parking lot to earn my long haul pin....Maybe I can get NASCAR sponsorship for "The HolidayInn Express 50!!" :lolno:
Thanks,
Jeff TSFR
joescoolcustoms

TSFR wrote:There's a strong possibility that I will be tagging along on this adventure. I'm right at 450 miles away from you so, I may have to do a few laps around the parking lot to earn my long haul pin....Maybe I can get NASCAR sponsorship for "The HolidayInn Express 50!!" :lolno:
I just added you to the list Jeff. You and Brian drive towards Wesley to meet him, then turn around and come on in. That will get the 500 miles for both of you for Saturday.

Will be glad to have you with us!
RedBaronofRedBud

Joe, you need to add the Raspberry T to that list. I have a feeling that Rick will have it rolling by MOTB at the blistering pace he's setting! :-)
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

joescoolcustoms

RedBaronofRedBud wrote:Joe, you need to add the Raspberry T to that list. I have a feeling that Rick will have it rolling by MOTB at the blistering pace he's setting! :-)
That would be cool! Even if he towed it there, then drove around and towed home.
joescoolcustoms

This past Saturday, Paul Mabin and I did a Pre-Run for this cruise. We checked the mileage and the fuel stops.

Because of limited restrooms and not very easy access, one stop will be totally changed. Another stop will not change the exit, but the location will change because of the same circumstances.

Don't forget to register for MOTB before the end of this month to get the discount for the event!

Getting excited!