CONFIRMED: Bruce & Winnie have been invited to Carlisle!

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
vincent9993

Re: CONFIRMED: Bruce & Winnie have been invited to Carlisle!

Post by vincent9993 »

We're leaving around noon, if you want to follow us live, here's our tracking feed:

Vincent & France's tracking feed
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Vincent & France's Day 1 Recap
We’re back on the road for more beautiful dune buggy adventures. Today we left the apartment around 11:20 under sunny sky. It was about 17 deg Celsius. We were heading to Carlisle, PA. The day was a little windy and a little chilly. We were lucky to have the sun and only a few clouds. We took the 401 (really boring) then headed south on I-81. At the border crossing, we had a Nexus line (fantastic) and the border crossing agent asked us 4 questions: Where we were going?, for how long?, If we had built the buggy ourselves? And what was the motor?

In a convertible, we have the pleasure to see beautiful scenery and smell the odors around us: Lilac, the flower from NC that I don’t know the name (smells nice), the grass freshly cut, but also the skunks, the sewer and manure from the farmers… For all tastes!

When we stopped for fuel, we liked Golf’s slogan… See picture… It matches our lifestyle. At the last fuel stop, we were chatting with the locals and commented that we would be rich if we charged for people to take pictures, as we said that, someone comes over and asks to take a picture! They saw that we were not lying!

We arrived at the hotel around 8:30pm. Naturally Vincent wanted to have a nice cold beer. We went to the only restaurant around the hotel that was still serving dinner and had beer. After 10-15 minutes of waiting, the server came to tell us that the regular cook was not in service and they only had burgers and fries… We had eaten burgers for lunch so we retreated to the restaurant next to the hotel where beer would have to wait… Vincent was a little disappointed but he will make it up tomorrow.

Provinces / States: Québec, Ontario, New York (Message to the governor, we did not see your NY welcome sign) and Pennsylvania.
• Temp Min : 16C / 61F
• Temp Max : 22C / 72F
• Mileage : 842 KM / 523 Milles

Have a good evening.

manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I'm jealous!
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Got an OK from the surgeon that I can drive again. A day late. Enjoy the weekend. See all of you at MOTF next month. Guess Carlisle will be there next year too. Putting it at the top of the bucket list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Vincent & France's Day 2 Recap

Today was a nice day. After cleaning the Dune Buggy, we sent shopping for to supplies (cups, pretzels, rhum, beer), in short, what you need for Carlisle. Something new this year, you can now buy a case of 12 bottles and not only a case of 24 (speaking of beer of course). Once shopping was done, we headed for the campground. Just before arriving, we ran into Keith, John, Ron, Adam and a couple from Maryland. Once we got to the site, we also met Kathleen, Tom and Rod. We also met Winnie and Bruce. They are so charming, I think Bruce looks even younger… Even at 89. We also met others including Joe Wheeler, Chris Lewis, Brian Giles, Jack, Scott and others. As you can read, we were a decent size group for a work day.

Around 4:00pm, we went to visit the Tröegs brewery in Hershey. When we arrived in the city of Hershey, we were surprised to see the lamp posts in the form of Kisses. On Fridays, the parking lot is very busy. I went in to explain to the staff that we had a tour at 5:30 and they suggested the buggies just drive around until we find a spot… I pleaded with the girl in charge at the brewery and explained we were in buggies and told her we could park on the grass. I sweetened the deal by telling her about Bruce from California. She was all excited and found us 6 spots in front. Jack went to the Outlets for some shopping while Stephanie and I had a drink and ate some cheese while we waited for the group to visit the brewery. Hard life!

Once the tour was over, we headed to Appalachian brewery to meet up with the rest of the group for dinner. We had a great time. Vincent stuck to water having had enough to drink during the tour and still got his picture with his thumb up!

Once we got back to the campground, we served our famous Spik-in. Everyone enjoyed our local Maple Syrup drink. Kiera and Chloé (Adam’s family) were present and Kiera had prepared cupcakes to complement the Spik-in. Very tasty!

The weather was really nice today, we had a few drops of rain in Hershey but noting more.
We should be going for a ride in the country tomorrow weather permitting.

Later.

hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Mike Dario:
You're not alone, Rosemarie and I are jealous as well!
Hopefully we can meet all the gang at MOTF next month!

Is it just me or are there no Tow'ds there?

Vincent/France....please give Bruce and Winnie our best regards!
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Another great day. When we stopped for fuel this morning, a car stopped next to the buggy and a man and woman asks: Hi France, how are you? I wanted to be kind and replied, I’m fine and you? I remember having seen them before but can’t remember their names. When Vincent returns from paying, they salute him as well. They tell us they’re on their way home from Florida and saw on Buggy Quebec’s facebook page that the Carlisle show was happening. Once we left the gas station, I ask Vincent who they were and he replies he doesn’t remember their names. They came to the show and Vincent introduced them to Bruce and Winnie.

Today we had a lot more buggies, we almost ran out of space to put them all. The sun was out and it was hot and humid. We Rick and Jessica as well as Vince (from MOTB). To entertain the kids and the adult kids, we setup a racetrack on the table, I think everyone liked it. At 1:00pm Bruce told us a little more about his life, he was very interesting. At 3:00pm we left for a Dune Buggy ride. Guess what? As we left, it started to rain and we got wet but everyone enjoyed the ride.
At dinner we were 40 people. The food at the Marcello’s Ristorante was good. We had a great time and Bruce awarded a trophy “Bruce’s pick” to Jessica and Rick.

To end the evening, we went back to the campground and watched movies (ECVW and MOTB). Obviously, we also served Spik-in.

Have a good evening and tomorrow we’re heading home.

Vincent et/and France

hillmotorsports

Still no sign of a Tow'd....
Are they THAT scarce?
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Once again, Carlisle was a great time. We got 2nd place for club participation in kit cars. If we get @ 60 buggies there, we may be able to beat the Speedster group! Thanks to all who attended. Tom
hillmotorsports

How many made it there Tom?
Did YOU see any Tow'ds? :?
I can't believe none made it.......
[image][image]1147

IF we can get over this hurdle we hope to eventually get it to a meet!
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Tom, is the participants award split between import and kit?
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Our 1st Dune Buggy trip of the year was fantastic. We knew it would rain at Carlisle, otherwise it would not be Carlisle. This morning the sky was raining. We went back to the fairgrounds to say goodbye to our friends. We’ll see a few of them again in Buffalo, some at ECVW 2015 and others at MOTB. We spent more than 1h with Winnie and Bruce… How we would like to see them more often but feel grateful that we can see them when they visit the east coast of the USA.

We left Carlisle around 10:00 with the top. About 30 minutes later, the rain had stopped and an hour later we took the top off. The I-81 and 401 are not the most exciting roads but at least the weather was nice. It was 27C.

Before I conclude, I want to congratulate Stephanie Boston Mabin who drove the Dune Buggy from New Jersey to Carlisle and back… Wow Stephanie, you’re a true champion. Thanks to everyone who came to Carlisle, we need to convince more people for next year.

We arrived at the apartment aroung 7:00pm after having driven 845km (525 miles). It’s a good thing we don’t need to wakeup early tomorrow. Home sweet home! We’ll be back on the road in 5 weeks, we can’t wait.

KM Total: 1,928KM (1,198 miles)

RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

Thanks for the great pics and updates on the weekend! I'm certain there will be many campfire stories from this event! Barb and I have put this event on our "to do" list for next year!
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Adam - the participation awards are split between Import cars & Kit Cars. Tom
bim55

Post by bim55 »

Here's a link to a short vid of the buggy's heading out for the Manx Club Cruise, ,

http://youtu.be/uJpmshYn-68

Great event and a nice job organizing by all involved.

Boston Bob E