2015 - ECVW 2015 - It's on!

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
neohic

Re: 2015 - ECVW 2015 - It's on!

Post by neohic »

Have a safe drive guys!
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

This morning everybody was on time….thank you. Just before we left, we got a visitor. Marc “Frizzy” came to say hello….really nice. We left under the rain. The day was kind of split in two, rain for the first part and sunshine for the second part. Oh yes, as per our Arizona friends, I should not say rain but “liquid sunshine”. Around 11:00am we met Darlene and Joe Wheeler and as well Shannon and David Cash. We now have all the buggies with us. Only Tom Tom was missing, but we met him at the hotel. Before we arrived at the hotel tonigh, oh boy….I can’t remember how many tolls and different routes we took….to keep everybody together (9 dune buggies and two support cars) wow…a worthy Olympic challenge. Everybody arrived safe at the hotel and Tom Tom was waiting for us with two other visitors, Jayne and Joe Spittler. Jayne and Joe had dinner with us before going back home in Woodstock, IL. It was really a good day and a nice evening. Tomorrow we are leaving early again (6:30am) to go to Alexandria, MN.

States: New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois
Avg Temp. 74F / 23C
Beer consumed: 2 x 123
Mileage: 577 miles / 929KM

Have a good night and talk to you tomorrow.

Brad

Post by Brad »

ok I'll ask ... whats with the blue tape on the fuel gauge ?
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

It's my reference on how far Mark G. Can go without refueling. Todd can go 2 of my fuel stop before refueling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

This morning it was, I would say cold in Schaumburg. The temperature was 55F (13C), but at least it was not raining. The sky was mostly cloudy, so another good reason to keep the top. I would say that about an hour after we left, the sky became blue, so we decided to remove the top at the next fuel stop. The heat was not really there but at least it was nice. At lunch, I would say that it was warmer. We found that the day was passing quicker than the day before…what a nice sun can do. However, we should not have said that because 80 miles after we left lunch, Todd had a problems with his dune buggy. After investigations, towing to the Travel Centre (which was just beside us) and more investigations it was decided that the battery needed to be changed. This little break was about 2 hours, thank God the sun was there. Back on the road, obviously we were stuck in traffic that I would say was heavy traffic. When we passed through the traffic, we were stuck behind a really big accident on the road. So, like you can read, it was a really long day, but at least the weather was good, so nothing really to complaint. We arrived at the hotel around 8:15pm. The dinner was at the Doolittles Woodfires Grill restaurant. Oh yes, Ben and Ben from the forum The Samba joined us at the hotel and stay for dinner. Tomorrow the destination is Glendive, Montana.

Visited States: Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota
Avg Temp: 79F / 26C
Consumed Beers: Stone’s Throw, Sweet Child of Vine
Distance: 505 miles /813KM

neohic

Post by neohic »

^That's my car! Really too bad it's only MOSTLY a dune buggy. :lol:

Anyhow... Greetings from Alexandria, MN!!!

So nice to be able to sit down and break some bread with all of you. Really neat to see these cars in the flesh instead of through small pictures online. Beautiful cars... awesome people... what better way to enjoy a road trip, eh? Those empty seats were all too tempting!

Went straight home and had a long, stern talk with my buggy in the garage. Had some strong words for it... I sure hope it got the message that it needs to shape before next time!

Yes... yes... I know the tire on my trailer is flat. Apparently that how we roll in MN. (For those who were yelling at the guy in the Mazda at dinner. :eh: ) Have a safe drive the rest of the way! :wave:
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

If anyone wants to follow us live, here's the URL.
http://debrouillard.ca/findmespot/vincentfeed.asp

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

We have a lot to talk about today. We left the hotel at 6:40 under a cloudy sky but not menacing. The more we traveled west, the more it looked like something we had seen before, then it came to me, it was the same as our wedding trip. You see, North Dakota is just south of Saskatchewan (Canada) and it’s where there are forest fires. They normally have around 150 active fires at this time of the year but now they are fighting around 550 fires. Due to the winds, the smoke is pushed to North Dakota. So even if the weather is clear, the skies are still cloudy from the smoke. We can even smell the smoke. You’ll notice the 1st picture, the skies are not as clear but it not the camera nor the photographer… Just as we left the gas station at our 1st stop, the sheriff came to see our Dune Buggies, he thought they were really cool! The end of Minnesota and half of North Dakota is boring, very boring…
We had planned to drive to Bismarck for lunch but were not sure everyone had enough fuel to make it. Well, they did not! We had to stop twice to add fuel to buggies.

On the way, Kathleen received some bad news from home. Her son’s wife (who just had a little girl 5 weeks ago), was hospitalized. Here in the States the maternity leave is only 5 to 8 weeks. Kathleen decided to take the plane back from Bismarck. Tom Tom drove her Manxter for the rest of the day. Tom and Tom will decide tomorrow as to what they do. All our thoughts are with Kathleen and her family.

As we drove west, the smoke started to disappear. We arrived at the hotel around 4:30pm. To celebrate the 4th of July, Vincent and I gave the group flashing bow ties. Some of us left to visit the badlands at Makoshika State Park and the Bell Street Bridge to then meet up for dinner at the Mexico Lindo restaurant. We learned that Tom would probably leave for St-Louis in the morning to join Kathleen. The news was not great, and again our thoughts are with them to help them overcome this terrible challenge.

States visited : MN, ND, MT
Average temp : 28C / 83F
Beers : 2 x Corona
Distance : 806KM / 501 Milles

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Another beautiful but long day. This morning, Tom and Tom Tom left us to go back East. We do not have more news but our thoughts and prayers are with them. It was really nice this morning and the sun stayed with us until the end of the day. It was nice to see but much better to drive the buggy into the mountains. We stopped for lunch at Lewistown (Montana). Half decided to go to McDo and the other half to Subway. Surprise for those who went to Subway (Vincent and I were part of that group), it was closed due of the parade and all the activities for the 4th of July. We went back to meet the other group at McDo (yes, twice within less than a month for Vincent). Our friend Joe got a rash and due of his condition we fond an ER. After tests and communications with his doctor (to know what he can take or not), it was agreed that he could take the medication as he had shingles. After two hours, he was in good enough shape to continue because he now knows at least what it was) and decided to continue on the road with us, driving his buggy. The scenery was really nice today. The hottest temperature got (to my knowledge) was 96F / 36C. We stopped to take a picture at the Continental Divide which is at 5610 feet / 1710 metres in altitude…really cool the picture of all the buggies aligned. For those who want to know what the Continental Divide is, you just need to click on the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent ... e_Americas.

We arrived at the hotel around 8:10pm. It was still 92F / 33C in Missoula, MT. The dinner was at Famous Dave's Restaurant. It was our last dinner with Donna and Mark Landon and Charlene and Jon Paola, but the good news is that we will see them at Big Bear next weekend. Thanks to Charlene and Jon for the firework.

Visited State: Montana
Consumed Beers: 2 x Going to the Sun
Avg Temp: 86F / 30C
Distance: 522 miles / 840KM

Tomorrow’s destination: Hermiston, OR.

RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

Thanks for the updates and pictures! I'm glad the weather was better this year when you all crossed the great divide than last year. Prayers for Kathleen and Tom's family and also for Joe. Shingles is no fun, but hang in there, buddy!

Making great time and the pics are wonderful (as usual).
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
neohic

Post by neohic »

Sorry, Joe... couldn't resit.

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

This morning we left Missoula, MT around 7:15 and yes we slept in… It was this morning that the Landons and Paolas were leaving us to go their separate ways. This morning we were passing by Lolo pass at 1,595m or 5,233ft in altitude and we changed time zone to PST. It was a little cool at the summit. We then drove the 99 miles of ‘S’ curves. We stopped along the way to take a few pictures. Just before a stop, we hit a rabbit and injured him. He was still running but only on 2 legs… Yesterday I forgot to tell you that we also hit a bird. Speaking of the rabbit, a minute after that incident, we almost hit a dog on the road but we were able to avoid him. We did not have to visit the ER today but we had to use the first aid kit for Brittany… The asphalt and rocks got the best of her knee. The rest of the day was really hot… At lunch time it was 41C / 106F and at 6:00pm in Hermiston, OR it was still 40C / 104F. It was nice to arrive early at the hotel. Vincent had time to do an oil change on the buggy before dinner. When we returned from dinner, we learned the sad news that Liz, Kathleen’s DIL had passed away. A real tragedy for the whole family and in the name of all the ECVW participants, we would like to offer the Iacoboni family our sincere condolences. Be strong.

States : Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon
Avg temp : 37C / 98F
Beers : 1 x 10 Barrel Apocalypse IPA et 1 x Red Chair
Distance : 596KM / 370 milles

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Wow, another beautiful day. We left this morning Hermiston around 6:40am and it was nice outside and warmer than the other mornings. Several coastline with curves that we discovered different landscapes from each other, it was a surprise every time. During one of our gas stop, we met the UPS guy from the surroundings, a really nice guy. He asked us if they were all Manx…things that people don’t usually know. He suggested to us to do a little detour of 3 miles to go see a rock where people climb without equipment. The moral of the story is that when you are in a town that you don’t know, try to find the UPS guy, he will let you know what to see and where to go. We are once again proud to have managed with success to make our way to California. It is kind of a personal accomplishment. We arrived at the hotel (at Mount Shasta) around 5:30pm. The dinner was at the restaurant of the hotel. Tomorrow we might have less beautiful temperature and not as hot as the last days. Our destination tomorrow is Salinas by driving by San Francisco. At your request Cindy, Vincent didn’t drink a Corona tonight but one Oatmeal Porter Wild card Redding and a Fall River Blond.

We would like to wish our best wishes to two people who will celebrate their birthday tomorrow, Francine B and Vincent P-F. Vincent and I wish both of you a nice day and a lot of pleasure.

Visited States: Oregon, California
Avg Temp: 92F / 33C
Consumed Beers: Oatmeal Porter Wild card Redding and Fall River Blond
Distance: 432 Miles / 695 KM

ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Vincent & France... great photos & narration!!! On Wednesday the 8th, do you have a guesstimate of what time you'll be coming thru Ventura, CA.??? We are about 30 miles south of Santa Barbara & 25 miles north of Malibu!!! Patricia & I would like to get some photos/video of y'all cruisin' thru on the freeway 101 South!!! Thanks... Have FUN FUN FUN!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

It's going to be very difficult to predict as we'll be stopping often on the PCH for pictures. Your best bet is to track using the live tracker at:
http://debrouillard.ca/findmespot/vincentfeed.asp

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips