2015 - ECVW 2015 - It's on!

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
vincent9993

Re: 2015 - ECVW 2015 - It's on!

Post by vincent9993 »

Nice and longue day. We started it with our departure from Mount Shasta around 6:45am. It was chilly but the sun was present. We headed to San Francisco through the Golden Gate bridge. Surprize, there an electronic toll and we have to pay the tolls by internet. You ask why the tolls, we ended up driving on the bridge twice due to a small error from Vincent and I… Oups – sorry. The positive outcome is that we have some nice pictures (thanks to the Boston-Mabin family). When we stopped at the Vista point, there was a queue of people taking turns to take pictures of themselves in front of the buggies! We then drove to Lombard Street. All the tourists were taking pictures of us, was pretty funny. Quick stop in the « Fisherman Wharf » for lunch. We were about 2h from the hotel in Salinas and we had to deal with San Francisco traffic… Oh my god! We had to be pro drivers and we made it to the hotel. Too tired to go out to eat, we opted to grab some In and Out burgers… Tomorrow will be another long day as we drive to Anaheim through the PCH. Let’s hope the weather will cooperate for some nice pictures. Tonight was our last meal with Todd and we`ll see him at Big Bear. We will also loose Darlene and Joe and Shannon and David who will part was to head to Santa Barbara. Mark will leave us once we get to Anaheim to head home. We will see them at Big Bear on Friday.

State : Californie
Avg temp : 27C / 80F
Beers : Aucune (Yes you read correctly)
Distance : 647KM / 402 milles

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Everything went well today…a day that will remain engraved in our memories for a long time. We arrived late in Anaheim, so no time for a recap tonight and only a few pictures (more than a 1000 were taken today….no time to select them). Mickey and Minnie are waiting for us, so we need to sleep a little bit to be at our best. Happy Birthday aunt Gilberte.

Vincent and/et France

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

July 8th: We left Salinas for Anaheim. We knew that it would be a long day but we were prepared for it. Today we celebrated the 50th anniversary of our friend Joe. He will not forget this day I guarantee you. We were driving along the Pacific and every turns we would have stop to take pictures. You will see that the pictures are amazing….I took 1000 pictures today so the triage was tough. After Tom Iacoboni’s suggestion, we stopped at the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park…a really nice place to visit. We had a chance to see whales. We stopped at the Lucia Lodge for lunch…if you are passing near that place, you have to stop…the scenery is amazing and the Fish ‘n Chip…one of the best that I ate. After that we stopped at Pismo Beach to take a few pictures. After, direction Carpinteria for dinner. It was at that place that Shannon, Darlene, David and Joe left us. To avoid the traffic in Los Angeles (that was 2 hour delay at the time), we celebrated Joe’s birthday with him at a Mexican restaurant. We went back on the road around 8:30pm with Mark and the Mabin. Mark was leaving on the road to go back home. I can tell you that to drive in LA at night, you need to be a strong driver…the three drivers got all my respect…god job Brittany, Paul and Vincent. You will be able to see a few pictures of that wonderful day of 376 miles / 605 KM. Oh yes, the weather was perfect, not to hot, not to cold.

Bonne journée / Have a nice day.

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

July 9th: We spent the day at Disneyland. Our hotel was just across the street of Disneyland, we went there by foot. Thanks to Dennis Rapp and Roger White for their generosity, we spent a wonderful day and evening. We started the day under clouds, but sun came back around lunch. It was not really hot, but just perfect for that occasion. The night parade is really nice.

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

July 10th: We were going to Big Bear for the three days of events. Shannon, Darlene, David and Joe were meeting us at our hotel so we could all drive together to Big Bear. We were supposed to leave at 10am. The morning picture was taken, we started the engine but whoops, Joe’s engine didn’t want to start. After many investigations, the guys thought that it was the battery that was no longer good. An Auto Zone was within 3 miles from the hotel. After another verification, the diagnostic was that it was not the battery but the starter that was defective. After few adjustments, we were good to go back on road….two hours later. We arrived at our hotel (at Big Bear) around 2:30pm. A lot of people already onsite. I did my laundry and I relaxed at the pool. During that time, Vincent cleaned up the dune buggy and talk with people. For dinner, we went to an Italian restaurant with the Mabin, Cash, Wheeler and Paola. It was another great dinner with friends. 85 miles / 137 km today. For the beers the last three days…no beer on the 8, one at Disney on the 9 and today….sorry I lost the count.

Bonne journée / Have a nice day.

ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Thank you for the photos & trip report!!! It has been like a dream following you on your adventure "west bound"!!! Patricia & I greatly appreciate all of you for such an exciting trip!!! We'll be following you home too!!! LOL
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Today was the Show ‘n Shine where we were able to exchange with people and vote for the most beautiful buggies in their respective categories. After that, Vincent and I joined a team for the Poker Run with LaVern, Mary and Bob Yahn. We had such a great time….that we finished first, that gave us 100$ (33$/buggy). After we had dinner, the awards and the dance. In the Kick Out category (traditional or SS), Vincent and I finished first…I was really happy. Other participants of ECVW2015 earned an award in their respective category, Darlene and Joe Wheeler, Donna and Mark Landon, Todd Triebler, Mark Gruenke and Charlene and Jon Paola. We need to highlight that we had new members in the select club of the Long-Haul League to go to a Manx event (driver or passenger) by driving more than 1000 miles. They are: Brad Connell, Shannon Cash, Darlene Wheeler and Stephanie Boston-Mabin. Another person also earned the pin, Tom Grither, but he was not there so he will receive the pin at another event. The youngest ECVW2105 participant had fun on the dance floor, they were nice to see. Tomorrow we are going to Las Vegas by driving through Death Valley.
Tomorrow, our niece Cassandrine will celebrate her 21st anniversary. Despite her handicap, she knows how to touch our heart and we wish her a wonderful day. Kisses from uncle Vincent and aunt France xxx
Talk to you soon

RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

Safe travels as you travel east! Barb and I are planning on meeting up with the return crew Saturday. Cya then!
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

A great weekend just ended. We were 233 Dune buggies at Big Bear and we had an awesome time. Thanks to our Big Bear Bash organisers. We left the Northwoods resort around 11:30. It was nice but not too hot. We stopped for lunch in Barstow and it was 43C/107F. We were passing trhough Death Valley Junction and we were worried it would be very hot. We only had 37C/99F when we got to Death Valley and it was only 39C/103F at Valley Junction. We arrived at the hotel in Vegas around 7:30pm and it was a little crazy getting to the hotel but we got there. For dinner, we went to the Outback steakhouse. We then went back to the parking lot to replace an exhaust gasket on David’s buggy and tighten Paul steering wheel. Stephanie, Brittany, Shannon, Alexandra, Mackenzie, Evan and I went to visit the Venetian hotel and returned to the hotel. Tomorrow we’ll be in Moab, UT.

States : Californie and Nevada
Avg temp : 35C / 95F
Beers : Samuel Adams Seasonal
Distance : About 480KM / 300 Milles

neohic

Post by neohic »

Safe travels on the return trip. Hell of a journey already... huge respect for anyone to do this in a buggy! :clap:
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Though once again Patricia & I couldn't make it up to Big Bear, we were there in spirit!!! Y'all that are heading back "eastbound & down", safe travels & the best of health to you all!!! To us, y'all making the "long haul" look so easy, inspires us to hopefully give it a go on a future crossing!!! Thank you for all the photos, please keep them coming & your synopsis of the day's adventures really tie it all together!!!
Hope to meet all of you "pioneer buggistas" sometime in the near future!!!
Have FUN FUN FUN... Michael & Patricia - the "ManxManiacs"
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
langan

Post by langan »

Wow really great pictures.....Thanks almost as good as being there..Wow again
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

We arrived in Moab around 6pm and tomorrow we will take the opportunity to visit the area. Today’s recap will be done tomorrow because the miss would like to sleep a little bit longer. We enjoyed our day and you will see pictures tomorrow.

Visited States: NV, AZ, UT
Max Temp: 96F / 36C
Consumed Beers: Dead Horse Amber Ale, Cutthroat Pale Ale, Johnny’s IPA
Distance: 459 miles / 739KM

Vincent et/and France
eurekagary

Post by eurekagary »

Safe travels, We were your leader from Big Bear to Barstow. The VW Golf with the yellow peace sign on the back. Wish we were with you you guys.
Gary and Annie Dam
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Another wonderful day with the ECVW2015 gang. This morning we went to visit the Island in the Sky Park. WOW! Dave Barrett suggested a few places to visit and we decided to go to that one. We could have stayed on the paved road, but we decided to be more adventurous and went on the non-paved road to go further down. The downhill was a little bit rock ‘n roll (congratulations to Stephanie who drove the Durango in this winding road). We visited the Musselman Arch and I walked on the top of it…me who is afraid of heights…I was really proud of myself. Joe, Shannon, Mackenzie, Alexandra and Evan also walked on the Arch. After that, we continue our route to visit the Mesa Arch. At that place, I didn’t walked on it….but Joe did it….braver than I. The day was mostly cloudy but it was okay like this otherwise it would have been too hot. We got rain, but nothing to disturb us. For lunch we went to the Moab Brewery…it was really good. After that, Paul, Vincent and I went on the road that you need to drive to arrive at the Red Cliff Lodge (where we were staying the last time) to take few pictures. We stopped a couple of time to take pictures. The pictures didn’t show the reality and the beauty of the place. Vincent and Paul went to wash the dune buggy…a little bit too much water in the Kick Out because it didn’t start. Vincent and Paul repaired it by removing the water as much as possible ….we should be good tomorrow (I am crossing my fingers). We could spent many days in Moab and we will never see the same scenery…it is so beautiful. Darlene, Joseph, Shannon and David stayed at their hotel and we did the same. Later in the evening, we (the Mabin, Vincent and I) ate pizza, at the outside pool, near the fire…it was great.

Destination tomorrow: Cheyenne WY.
Visited State: Utah
Temperature: 90F / 32C
Consumed Beers: Porcupine Pilsener, Rocket Bike Lager, 2 x Full Suspension Pale Ale
Distance: Sorry we didn’t get the final count.