dropped front end and rims

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
chopperdentist

dropped front end and rims

Post by chopperdentist »

Hello, I'm a new Manx club member from Italy. I 've just bough an '71 Autozodiaco buggy, it's really similar to the Manx, but i'd like to customize it. I fall in love for a buggy I've see on the net and I'd like to customize mine in that way. This is the buggy i fall in love for: Image this winter I rebuilt mine so: which is the best way to dropp the front end? adjustable front axle beam or lowered spindles? Thorq Trusth wheel are made only for chevy, ford and mopar car.. how can I put it on my buggy? Do you know which tires are these and what size more or less? My front end is a ball-joint front suspension with coil over shocks (it's so hard!!) and the brakes are 66-67 original beetle drum brake (i think) this are the pics of my buggy and her front wheel Image[/IMG] Image[/IMG] thanks a lot Davide
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Davide, You can start by getting rid of the coil over shocks. Find a set of standard beetle shocks and the ride will soften up. ALso, try no more than 15 - 18 pounds of air in each tire. You will be amazed at the result.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I agree with manxter 10 about removing and replacing the coil-overs but I'd also remove the anti-roll bar as they're not really necessary on a car so light as a Buggy. My Buggy rides best on 12psi front and 16psi rear tire pressures. Easiest way to fit mag wheels is to use adapters like these... http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... C10%2D6705 ...or fit '68 on drums, re-drill and fit studs to suit. The wheels pictured look like 7x15 rears and 6x15 fronts. Front tyres look like standard old Beetle cross-ply 560x15s. Rear tyres look like ancient Goodyear Polyglass ones that really shouldn't still be on the road in my opinion. I'd go for something like 235/75x15 for the nice high look. You've got a nice looking Buggy Davide but I see it's got a Meyers Manx badge fitted that IMO shouldn't be there...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
chopperdentist

lower frontend

Post by chopperdentist »

The previous owner of my buggy replace hood, gastank, windshild and roll bar and put on it an 1600 cc engine with dual 40 weber. what do you think about the best way to lower the frontend? thanks.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The best way to raise or lower a front end is to use weld in adjusters on the center of the beams.[/FONT] Image It also looks like you are missing some lug bolts and need to get some studs pressed in.
ManxMe

Post by ManxMe »

dropped spindles are easy to install (no welding required) and may get you down to the height you need. Removing the coil overs will probably drop your car a little as well. I have heard that you can remove a leaf from the front suspension as well, but I have never tried it and don't know if it's true. My car has adjusters AND dropped spindles.
chopperdentist

Post by chopperdentist »

thanks everyone for advices. really appreciate! Manxme, can you post a pic of your buggy? thanks a lot