which forum is best for technical info?

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
jimmy

which forum is best for technical info?

Post by jimmy »

As a new member to the club I could use some technical advise for my buggy project. Any guidence would be appreciated?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

If you post your questions right here I'm sure you'll get a quick reply. The Samba also has a very good search engine for technical threads in the Fiberglass Buggy Forum. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=38 Here's a couple books that might also be useful. They're all on Amazon:Image Image 750){ this.height = Math.round((750/this.width)*this.height); this.width = 750; }" border=0> Image 750){ this.height = Math.round((750/this.width)*this.height); this.width = 750; }" border=0>Image
90volts

Post by 90volts »

welcome to the club! also if you are looking for vw basic technical info I would suggest you take a look at the bentley manual available at http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=v121 Image Image and the John Muir manual- how to keep your volkswagen alive.available at http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-A ... 994&sr=8-1 Image
fubar

Post by fubar »

I see the same questions posted here and on the DSB forum. The more information the better, but sooner or later you will have to get your hands dirty.
jimmy

Your warm welcome is appreciated!

Post by jimmy »

I'm trying to mount an original Manx on a 70 pan. I have two gas tanks, one old style and one off the 70. I would like to use the electric fuel assembly on the old tank as it seems to clear a little better replacing the mechanical one. Will it work out? Also, is it best to have the filler dead center on the tank or leave it on the front where it is?
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

One other thing you may want to check is if I am correct the 70 pan is an IRS and if your body is a manx I it will not clear the battery well or spare tire well. I had this problem with my 72 pan and rather than cutting the body I converted the suspension to a swing axle. Just something you may want to check into before you get to far along.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="jimmy"]I'm trying to mount an original Manx on a 70 pan. I have two gas tanks, one old style and one off the 70. I would like to use the electric fuel assembly on the old tank as it seems to clear a little better replacing the mechanical one. Will it work out? Also, is it best to have the filler dead center on the tank or leave it on the front where it is?[/QUOTE] I believe its safer to move the fuel filler to the top rear of the tank. I believe that in any kind of front end accident, having the fuel filler low and protruding at the front edge of the car is a bad design. I believe an electric fuel quantity sender will fit a tank that previously had a mechanical sender. It looks more symetric in the rear center but its a little easier to reach with the nozzle if its located to the side. Does your body have a battery and spare tire well or is it a Manx 2?
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Just my 2 cents' worth but if you're going to move your fuel filler (and I agree with the others, center rear is the best place as you get greater capacity there too) be very carefull welding an old tank. The official 'heath & safety' line will always be never to try to weld a tank that's ever held gas. The 'shadetree' line is steam clean the tank out thoroughly and fill with water before any welding or cutting. For the price of them I'd always start with a new tank as previous Buggies I've had have been plagued with gas problems caused by rusty old tanks...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
fubar

Post by fubar »

I agree, if the first thing you do is blow yourself up , you will not enjoy the whole build process. I have made several new fuel tanks but to this day refuse to weld on anything that has held fuel previously. Plus a new tank is less likely to get jizz in the fuel system.
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

Another tip... Even new tanks need to be rinsed out and sealed with a protective coating. I used Kreem. Worked great. Also, VW tanks lose capacity when adapted for use in a buggy. I have about a 8.5 gallon useable gallons. Depending on your hood style you may need to "massage" the front corners to get the hood to fit with the tank in place. My hood is very similar to that of a Manx 2 and that's what I had to do. Good luck and have fun! Some useful web forums... Dual Sport Buggies RBC Dune Buggy Club The Samba Texas Manx Club Most of the users that post here frequent those sites. You can get great information on any one of them. Usually there is a run going on just about every month and there is usually a seat available if you are so inclined. Saturday breakfasts are not uncommon either. Welcome the the madness.