rear tranny seal

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
mstokes

rear tranny seal

Post by mstokes »

I am preparing to change the rear tranny seal on my Manx. Does anyone have any helpful hints about this job?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Are you sure the trans didn't get over filled somehow. The fill plug is on the left forward side of the trans. The oil should be up to the level of the plug. If you remove it and any runs out, it was over filled. The fill plug is actually below the level of the input shaft on the trans, so you shouldn't get much of a leak at the shaft. There is also a vent hole at the top front of the nose cone which should be clear to prevent pressure building up.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

If you are taking about the mainshaft seal in the bellhousing, you will need a seal puller tool. I use a Snap-on #YA105. I have seen other brands in auto parts stores. What it is a flat handle that is about 1in wide by 12in long with 2 curved flat hooks on the end. You tap it in along side of the mainshaft and pry the seal out. Be careful of going to deep to the side as you can gouged out surface on the case the seal set into. For installing the seal, I use a piece of 1 1/2in tubing as a driver.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

Nope. It's the seal.
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

Thanks. I'll try to find that tool tomorrow. Advance auto has a similar one. It has a round handle and a flat piece with two different hooks, opposite each other. The hooks look big for the tranny seal though. It looks like a seal puller for the wheel hubs.
fubar

Post by fubar »

Take the motor out first.
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

Ha, Ha, Ha :laugh1:
Gene-C

Seals

Post by Gene-C »

You can get a seal removers @ Harbor Freight, a great place for tools not used daily.
mstokes

job completed

Post by mstokes »

I purchased a seal remover from Advance Auto ($10.00) and it worked great. Thanks for the advice, everyone! Mike :D
manxfwin

trans seal

Post by manxfwin »

Do you have a part/model # on the seal puller?I've got to do the same thing to my bug.
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

It is an AmPro Seal Puller no. T72138 And as jsturtlebuggy described You tap it in along side of the mainshaft and pry the seal out. Be careful of going to deep to the side as you can gouged out surface on the case the seal set into. For installing the seal, I use a piece of 1 1/2in tubing as a driver and a piece of wood to set it flush with the case. I put a small amount of gasket sealer around the case opening before I pushed it in, as recommended by John Muir in his Bible for us complete idiots. Be careful not to push it in too far. Mike
manxfwin

Trans.seal

Post by manxfwin »

Thanks Mike for the info.