Dakar Cancelled...

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
manxdavid

Dakar Cancelled...

Post by manxdavid »

I heard it on the BBC Radio news yesterday... Bugger!!! http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080104/ap_ ... akar_rally
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

'They scored a media victory without firing a shot' :x Im with Louis Caprioll on this.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]Baja isn't much safer now. [/QUOTE] I think Dave and Buggy Pete found that out at the 03 Baja trip :eek:
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]I think Dave and Buggy Pete found that out at the 03 Baja trip :eek:[/QUOTE] That was 02, time flies!!!! Seriously Baja's a beutiful place, or would be if they'd tidy up all the old shredded tires and crap...Not too sure if I'd go back unless 'cause there's some scarry and desperate people down there. Saying that though I'm not going back to Atlanta or Barcelona in a hurry either for much the same reasons. I'll take my chances in Liverpool. Been there done that got those T shirts...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

There's always Devon.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]There's always Devon.[/QUOTE] Nice place, lovely; I've got family down in Paignton, but Britain's too expensive for vacations these days. I like to take full advantage of the weak Dollar so I'll be back in Pensacola for Easter then I'll see what Sandals has got to offer for Summer...huricanes permitting of course...
Gigantalope

Post by Gigantalope »

Maybe they should sort of think backwords and actually make new races in such spots as Detroit, or Glasgow. It could give that same sort of edgy 3rd world feel, and yet the location is conviniant.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

That's a good idea, but I think Glasgow has changed a lot in the last few years. I understand its almost as classy and expensive as Edinburgh and London now. Maybe Mancester?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid"]I like to take full advantage of the weak Dollar so I'll be back in Pensacola for Easter then I'll see what Sandals has got to offer for Summer...huricanes permitting of course...[/QUOTE] I used to be at Eglin AFB in Ft Walton Beach. You should check out Destin. There's also miles of open trails on the Eglin range you can explore if you get a permit. Just be careful if you notice an AC-130 circling overhead. http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/cooperative/eglin_afb.asp
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]I used to be at Eglin AFB in Ft Walton Beach. You should check out Destin. There's also miles of open trails on the Eglin range you can explore if you get a permit. Just be careful if you notice an AC-130 circling overhead.[/QUOTE] Destin's lovely, my wife just loves the new 'Silver Sands' outlet mall there, had a great lunch in 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' as well!!! Is there a beach there too??? :D
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Versus channel is showing an encore presentation of last year's race and showing a banner for the first 30 seconds saying this year's was canceled and to go to their web site for more details... :x
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]http://www.30a.com/[/QUOTE] Thanks for the link Nelson, looks like I've got some new places to check out if I can give my 'kin folks the slip... They're so cheap, seldom take us to places with cuttlery (silverwear?), you can only take so much of Chick-fil-ay... :help:
Gigantalope

Post by Gigantalope »

Fantastic bloke runs the Braelossie in Elgin, he's an RAF fellow, and into off roading and hunting...maybe you know him. (This was a few years ago) I was in the UK last month again and would encourage anybody who can make the trip over here to do so. The price differences are outragious. Shame about Glasgow being regentrified, there goes that idea(r)...Maybe a Merseyside Ralley? Would the Scouses be good hosts?