POR 15 Question

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Reverb

POR 15 Question

Post by Reverb »

I have a quart of BlackCoat that I ordered from Por15. Does this stuff need to go on top of Por15, or can I just use it alone. I`m in a very dry climate in Arizona, so moisture is not an issue.
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

I think that is a "none of the above".... POR15 base is put on after the cleaning and acid wash. Any subsequent painting must have a tie coat (a POR product) to let it adheare to the gloss finish of the original POR. POR is a very forgiving, high gloss paint that is designed to stop rust. If you are going to use it as a top coat, please read the instructions, if I remember correctly, POR does not have UV resistance - they recomend the tie coat and then a finish with UV inhibitor properties... I put it on my Berrien Chassis with a foam paintbrush, straight from the can. It shows no brush marks - flows out really nice. Just my 2 cents..
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

That`s why I bought the BlackCoat, because of the UV issue. I also have a bottle of Marine Clean for prep. I`m just not sure if I should use the BlackCoat alone.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

My floorpan has been painted with POR15 for 3 years and it shows no signs of fading....granted, I'm not in Arizona :roll: