Sidewinder exhaust

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Gene-C

Sidewinder exhaust

Post by Gene-C »

Does the sidewinder exhaust sold in the Mnax store have a heat riser? If not has anyone had any issues?
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The 1 1/2" version has a heat riser connection. I don't know if the larger version has it. If you really want it to look nice, I suggest you buy it uncoated. Clean it up (excess welds, rough surface finish & flange work) and then get it coated. We welded the muffler to the collector to avoid one possible leak point. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks for the advice Tom & Kathleen. Do you guys or anyone else know how loud this system is? I am about to put my buggy thru DMV inspection. I have dual cannons on there now. I know they will fail. Here in Delaware, the limit is 92 db at 2500 rpm. I probably wont go the raw steel route because I need to get this buggy on the road for the Bug-Out in May.:driving:
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

It's nowhere near as loud as dual cannons but depending on the engine combo, the Sidewinder can be loud. the closer the engine is to stock the quieter it will be. On a stock 1600 they are very quiet.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

that will be a lot more quiet than the duals! i had the duals originally. dave has the sidewinder and its not that loud.i would think it would pass the noise level test. ours is about the same here for inspection.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Noise I suppose is relative. I am not sure what 92db's sounds like but I do have a meter for my home entertainment center. Perhaps I can measure it for you in a non-controled enviroment. I had the dual cannons on my last buggy and even with the inserts they have a bite. The sidewinder on my 1835 when idling is fairly mellow, however the minute you start giving it gas it makes more noise.
Lee

Post by Lee »

"On a stock 1600 they are very quiet." Jerry, I normally agree with what you have to say, but I wouldn't exactly use the term "very quiet" to describe what my 1600 sounded like with the Sidewinder. In fact, when I first put the fiberglass hard top on (before I installed a headliner), the noise was quite uncomfortable. There is a big difference in sound level between no top and a hard top, more than I ever thought there would be. Fortunately, the sound level of the Sidewinder can be cut in half simply by adding a Supertrapp to the end of the tailpipe. They make clamp-on Supertrapps that you could install for the inspection, then remove it if you don't like the looks. I highly recommend the Sidewinder from the Manx Club. It is a sturdy unit made of nice thick tubing. You do have to drill out the heat risers (no big deal - the flanges are there), and you should check all the welds. Mine had a leak at the #4 flange. This is why Tom recommended getting the raw steel version - so you can coat it after you "fix it". It's not that big of a deal, as you can always get it recoated later on.
domorr

Post by domorr »

The side winder has a good throaty sound. i would not spend the money for the ceramic coating. Mine has rust bleeding through it after a couple of years and my buggy is kept in the garage! I have spoken to other people and there is a thread here somewere on this subject so it is not just my exhaust that this is happening to. I have switched to a tri-mil bobtail glass pack. It is quiter and the ceramic finish is a whole lot better than my sidewinder ever was. it is also cheaper!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks for all the info guys. I will order a Sidwinder today. I'm goint to take my buggy thru inspection with the duals on it just so they can find something wrong. It has been my experence that Delaware DMV looks very hard at older cars trying to find something wrong. If they find one or two things, they generally stop looking...
Lee

Post by Lee »

Scott, Good luck with the inspection! It's a good idea to let them fail you with the duals, then you can come back with the Sidewinder and show them just how much you were able to quiet it down. It reminds me of the smog check fiasco, which a fellow made the most of: http://inertia.org/ACVWJYRO/echeck/advent.htm
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Lee, Thank you for the laugh... Thats a great article and I now have a better perspective for MY trip to DMV...:rock: