Start Up Problems

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
bountyhunterdm

Start Up Problems

Post by bountyhunterdm »

Ok I started the engine for the first breakin run for about 5min at 2000 rpm. I'm suppose to make another run at 2000 rpm for about 15min after It cools down and I re-adjust the valves. I know this may differ from other methods but this is what Tim at Berg told me I should do. So. Here's what happened. Everything was goin good untill the Jet Coating started buning off of the #2 and #4 pipes. I guess it was too lean. So I finished the 5min run and shut her down. The Alternator light came on and I though it was toast but after I shut her down I restarted it and found that the light went off and I had a good reading on the volt meter. See this :eek: Image Any suggestions or tips as to how to fix the lean burn before the next startup? This is a fresh 1776 with duel Kads out of the box. I turned the mixture screws in to the stop and then backed them out 2 turns. What about the Alternator, do you think it got too hot? Thanks
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Pull the sparkplugs and check the color to confirm you have a mixture problem Kadrons are 1 barrel carbs. There shouldn't be any difference in mixture between the two cylinders on one side. You might have manifold leaks.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I agree with CairoManx, you probably have a vacuum leak. Kadron manifolds are known to have sealing issues at the head. If you are not already doing it, use the thick paper gaskets instead of the stock tin VW gaskets.
bountyhunterdm

Post by bountyhunterdm »

Good advice I'll take a look at all of that plus the timing and step up the jets.
bountyhunterdm

Post by bountyhunterdm »

Need some more advice, after removing and re installing the dist drive gear,I set the static timing to 8 BTDCwe tried to start it and had trouble until I turned the air bleed in about 1 turn , I had them set at about 2 1/2 out. We started it up and ran it at 2200 rpm for about 10 min before my temp light started to flicker so we shut it down. During the ten minutes the exaust got real hot again. During this time Iit looked like the timing :x was between 25 and 30 with the light. IT was hard to say . Any one have any suggestions. Does everyone mark the degree'd pulley with white paint cause it sure was hard to tell where the timing was. Help me out the wife is really upset as I can't get the thing running. I hope I didn't cook the engine. :help: