hard cranking prob and question

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

no. the 12 volt flywheel is larger and it will not fit into the housing without some grinding . not much it hits in 2 areas i believe.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

[QUOTE="seabeeBuggy"]no. the 12 volt flywheel is larger and it will not fit into the housing without some grinding . not much it hits in 2 areas i believe.[/QUOTE] True, I've done it many, many times. But you cannot operate a 12V flywheel with a 6V starter. Well, let me rephrase that. You cannot turn a 12V flywheel with a 6V starter for very long. You MIGHT get a dozen or so starts out of it until the gear on the starter gets chewed up. They have different teeth counts. With that said, you can operate a 6V starter on a 12V system, as long as your flywheel is 6V as well. Spins nicely! Wuzabug said he had to grind out the bellhousing for the larger flywheel, so that means he wasn't using a 6V flywheel on his 12V engine. So, this implies that he was using a 6V starter before...
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

well ifound out they do make a SPECIAL tool for the job at a wooping 38$ for something i probably will NEVER use again, I will just keep whacking my head on the bell housing until i passout or decide to pull the damn engine for the 3rd time. sorry for whining and *****ing... Its just this kind of bs you dont anticipate ya know.... or scroung up the $ to buy a self supporting one. I Really appriciate all your guys info and help, I am so glad there are poeple like you in this forum, because ive seen the worst, and now i found the best. C-Dub ps any and all comments or suggestions are welcome Thanks!
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Every time you pull the engine, you get that much better at it. Practice makes perfect! I wouldn't pay the $40 for the tool. I've got a tap that will get the brass bushing out and I STILL prefer to pull the engine to change it. It makes me feel better to get it pressed in straight and true. Don't forget to grease the support shaft after replacing the bushing, if you go that route.
Gene-C

Im Finished.

Post by Gene-C »

ok peeps.... IM DONE, I will be treking to the auto parts store to get a (self supporting) starter, It appears that all that means is a starter for an automatic trans with no funky half dome over it? by the way i did get it out useing a tap as suggested and a drill that was not. i put the new one in i suppose impateintly as it broke into pieces. I PICKED THE WRONG DECADE TO GIVE UP DRINKING!!! ha Thanks again all