rear seat

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
Gene-C

rear seat

Post by Gene-C »

I am trying to find a two piece rear seat do go in my manx. can anyone lead me in the right direction.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The usual back seat in a manx is just a couple pieces of plywood padded with foam rubber and covered with vinyl or fabric. People used to attach them with screws from the underside, but its much better to just use some heavy duty velcro. You'll need to make a paper or cardboard template pattern of the bottom and rear of your back seat area, then transfer it to the two pieces of plywood (3/4" thick). Leave enough of a gap around the edge of the plywood for the covering to fit. The best thing would be for you to cut the two pieces of plywood and take them to an upholstery shop and tell them to make up covers that match your front seats.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

Cut out the shape you want out of a piece of plywood, for both the bottom, and the seat back. Attach some stove bolts for mounting on the buggy later. Take them to an upholstery shop and have the padding and covering put on. They can probably match the upholstery on your front seats.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

Looks like Cairo beat me to the punch :D :eek:
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Reverb, Pretty much identical advice, That's funny. I really like the velcro though, I hate drilling holes in my fiberglass. The other thing I do is have the two little ears on the front edge of the seat extend wide enough so they tuck in behind the rollbar. That way the rollbar also holds the seat bottom in place.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

I like the velcro idea. Does it hold the seats down enough? I`d be worried the seats would blow out when towing. As far as the holes are concerned, there`s already holes in the body from the previous rear seat.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

If you check in most hardware stores, there are several different grades of velcro. The heavy duty stuff is just amazing. I have to fight my back seat to pull it loose. I towed my Manx to Lone Pine and the seat never budged.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Notme, Here is another option. Scroll down to the last seat on this page. They are a good outfit and a manx club sponsor. http://www.prpseats.com/suspension-seats.html
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Neal from Texas does custom rear seats... http://hometown.aol.com/lonestarbuggy/page5.html ...or I cut my own (3/8") boards and covered them using vinyl and foam sewn up by Mel Hubbard's wife. Image Held in mainly by double sided badge mounting tape.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
joemama

Post by joemama »

My back seat area has the cut out for the spare tire and the battery box, so it needs plywood over it in order to use as a seat. However, I bolted down the plywood to the body, and just the cushion velcroes to the plywood, this way I can remove the cushion and still have a flat area to carry things. Also I strongly suggest you waterproof the plywood you use.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="joemama"]My back seat area has the cut out for the spare tire and the battery box, so it needs plywood over it in order to use as a seat. However, I bolted down the plywood to the body, and just the cushion velcroes to the plywood, this way I can remove the cushion and still have a flat area to carry things. Also I strongly suggest you waterproof the plywood you use.[/QUOTE] Good point. I forgot to say I used marine quality ply wood.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I had the chance to work with a product known as "Starboard". It is a polymer sheet used in building boats and boat interiors. I plan on using it for the seat bases on my Siggy Manx. It won't delaminate like plywoods and is basically unaffected by moisture not to mention quite rigid. Take a look and see what you think. http://www.kingstarboard.com/Products/starboard.aspx
MickeyUSA

Post by MickeyUSA »

I like it.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

How about glassed in buckets like in Mel Hubbard's friend's new Sidewinder Buggy??? Image Image Really nice cage and high-level brake light too!!!
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Im trying to post two more pics of that buggy to ya Dave, but you know what im like on these things,,,it wont send,, maybe later. That orange is a popular choice,, you should start up the Tropicana buggy club UK Dave :laugh1: