Security System?

Upcoming events and get-togethers. Where are we going next?
flaboyjim

Security System?

Post by flaboyjim »

One of my friends is an electronics tech that develops weapon systems for the DOD. He has offered to help me set up a "simple" basic stamp computer system for the buggy. There are a lot of routines that would work out - like flashing the headlights or brake lights before the engine would start; control all the lights - like having an auto cancel for turn signals after a certain period of time; horn and lights would flash if someone trys to start without doing the start-up routine..... :confused: he helped someone do this on a bucket T Rod - cost was about $65.00 - can program it via home computer USB port. ANYWAY :eek: Has anyone done anything like this? Its an interesting concept anyway.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I have a system like that on my 33 Ford. It has a Ron Francis wiring system in it and the system is available thru them. Believe me, it cost considerably more the $65.00 from them.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Here in Oz we must fit elecronic imobilisers to all new cars and to all cars that are sold on the second hand market. It has reduced car theft. It cost about $140 to get a simple set up that turns off the fuel and also neutralises the ignition. I carry a little black doodaa on my key ring that has to be put into the flashing light gizmo on the dash board to cancel it out. There are lots of other types that you zap the car with and it makes the lights flash, the horn blow etc. I also had a strong flexible motorcycle cable that was bolted to the passengers seat and which was padlocked to the steering wheel. Only then was I happy to leave the car alone at night. If you can get a home built programmable set up for $65, go for it, but I would recommend a mechanical back up system as well.
croakintowd

Shoot the thieves!

Post by croakintowd »

Howdy, I had the idea to hide a normally open, spst, magnetically operated, switch on the buggy somewhere. If ou put it in the wire to the starter solenoid, you'd have to hold a magnet to the switch to close it before it would start. the idea being that only you woulsd know where to hold the magnet. Simple and cheap. Some home alarm systems use a magnetic switch that might work. I guess you could wire in a latching relay so that if an unauthoried human tried to start it, the lights could flash and the horn would honk. I also heard of a vehicle alarm that lets the thief "steal" the car and move it a few feet before shutting it down. The idea was that Insurance companies don't pay as well for the damage if the car is vandalized to get in. So, if the car isn't successfully stolen, you would only have a claim for vandalism. If the car is moved, even with the same amount of damage, it is "stolen" and you end up paying less out of your pocket. It sort of sounds like it's one of those tricks with the "Deductible" portion of your liability. True or not? I dunno. I saw it on TV a few years ago. 4 what it's worth,
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

The magnetic switch is a good idea but there is a problem with carrying a magnet in a pocket/wallet/bag. Don't let it anywhere near your credit/bank/library/ cards as it will zap the magnetic strip and disable them. Because of the powerful permanent magnets in a TV/stereo never put a magnetic card on one. It can be affected.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Seems to me that any electronic theft deterrent could be bypassed in about 10 seconds by someone that knows anything about buggies. I think a chain around the wheels, or steering wheel, would be an easier (and more effective) deterrent. Or, you could keep a guard dog in the spare tire well.... Image
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I believe most of the devices mentioned go with the assumption that the buggy is going to be taken by way of someone starting it with the ignition switch. My personal thoughts are that the buggy will just be rolled away or hotwired. Even with a fancy electronic ignition deterent the engine is in the open. Walk up and snatch the wires off and and hotwire it. Personally I believe making the buggy un-rollable or non steerable (steering lock and e-brake lock) is the better way to go. Someone here suggested a false coil wire a while back. I think that is a great idea. No one is going to stick around long enough to trouble shoot a non starting engine after it is hotwired. :2cents: Dang you UncleBob, I've been trying to figure out how to use that picture. :x
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

That poor pooch scares the hell out of me. An inexpensive way to disable your ignition is to take your rotor with you when you park the buggy. I think lots of thieves carry bolt cutters, but how many bring a VW Rotor and a test light?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thats one UGLY dog!
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I think he's more scary then ugly. Well OK, maybe ugly and scary. I would be afraid of catching some wicked sickness from an ugly beast like that.
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

What sort of dog is that? I looks like a gargoyle.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

shaihulud wrote:What sort of dog is that? I looks like a gargoyle.
Sam Ugliest Dog Winner
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

You'll get no argument from me one way or the other! :eek: Now, if I found THAT in tha back of my car some dark night, I'd chew my OWN arm off to get away from it! :help:
allen pierce

Post by allen pierce »

Hey guys, Take it easy there, Sam is one of my neighbors here in Santa Barbara. Not exactly our claim to fame, but, he is a three time winner! Darn ugliest dog anyone's ever seen, but, pretty friendly, these days. Not a security tool in any way.
flaboyjim

Post by flaboyjim »

How in the world did this thread get from a weapons geek designing a security system for a buggy to ugly dogs? :rock: CA claims all the good stuff - Lots of Buggies, Ugly dogs, Beautiful Girls, next thing you know they will be saying that the Governor is really a movie star. All we have in FL is Orange Groves, Rain, and a Governor that wants to follow in his brothers footsteps..... :laugh1: