VW Classic June 10, 2012

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
jsturtlebuggy

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Here is a few pictures from the Classic and the Barris buggy Randy Carlson own and was on display with his oddities.
Had a great time and event keeps getting bigger each year.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by 1856 »

Joe, thanks for sharing the pics ... what did you see that impressed you?
Mark
Art3358

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by Art3358 »

Hey Joe,

Do i see the tree rash fixed on your buggy?
Ed-Chenal

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Joseph,
It was good to see you at the Classic.  Thanks for the pictures.
Good to see your buggy back in proper order too.
Ed
jsturtlebuggy

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

It was a long weekend for the Classic for me.  Yes I fixed the wing and body under the tail light where it was cracked before I drove it to SoCal.  
Left on Thursday Morning early for the 400plus miles drive in the Manxter.  Stopped in early afternoon at Outfront to talk to all the guys, Mac, Lance, John (owner), Ron, Jeremy and the other I forget all the names.  The black buggy in the picture is Mac's.   He started with a old glass body and went from there with building a chassis and widening and lengthing the body.  It has a 2.5L turbocharged, Medeola trans.  It really is an awsome buggy.  Also has heater, and heated seats.
Friday morning was Pierside Parts(VeeDub Parts Unlimited) for their open house and car show and free food cooked by Rick and Kevin from CB Performance.  In late afternoon stopped by Nick's for the car show there. 
Saturday morning left early for 85 mile drive to Escondido for Breakfast with Bruce, Winnie, Karen, Jim Guthrie, and a few other that I not remembering all the names.  Went to Manx Central and spent the rest of morning talking with Bruce and Winnie. 
Had to leave at noon to make it back to the Toy Show at hotel in Irvine.
A few of the items I found.  The large orange buggy I bought from Hot Dog Fred,  he was making good deals on what he had for sale.
Sunday morning left early for the Classic (10 minute drive), got there an a very short line to get in.  Found where Bruce and Winnie had set up for the club to park. 
2 cars that Roger (Rear engine) Smith's had built in his shop where there, Rivets and the race car.   Marty Fiolka (Dirt Sports Magazine) had his yellow Dual Sport there.  This is the first ever Dual Sport made. 
Bob and Diane drove their Manxter from Arizona in the Morning to the show.
It was a good turn out of buggies with some coming in later and a few leaving early.   The Classic is getting so big I am having a hard time seeing everything before my legs start to hurt to much from all the walking.   Found Ed and Jay at John's Topline tent across from the In & Out Burgers truck.  Good size swap meet area.
I heard someone bought a Tow'd in the parking lot. 
Winnie's Son Inlaw John from back east came out with them.  John is in to buggies and VW's.  He has an Manx SR and a few others in his collection. 
Monday morning left early to try and beat traffic heading north.  Decided to take the PCH (hiway 1) from Santa Monica to Oxnard to visit a few friends.  Just past Pepperdine College see Helicopters in air, start down the hill and traffic is dead stopped both ways.   Many emergency vehicles in area of Dan Blocker County Beach and Corral Canyon Rd.  After waiting a few minutes and see others turning around and heading south I did the same thing and went back to Malibu Canyon road and a few other roads out to the 101 freeway and on to Oxnard to visit with friends.  After that drove up the 101 to Pismo with a drive down the Beach. 
This at end of beach.   Cool and overcast along the coast,  as soon as I climbed the hill out of San Luis Obispo to Atascadero it became Hot quick.  Rest of trip home was in the high 90s with a hot wind from the west.  Arrived home around 8PM and it was still hot. 
Found today noise I started hearing on trip was the left inner rear axle bearing was going bad.   It will be ready for Big Bear       
Last edited by jsturtlebuggy on Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
BuggyBob

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by BuggyBob »

Great story Joe and great pictures. I wish I could find more time to cruise with you to these evnts.
manx1111pla

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by manx1111pla »

Thanks for the pics and the story Joe.
Scott-Drolet

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Talk about a packed schedule. Sounds like you really had a great time Joe. I see the Peppertree Mountain Goat and even "Rivets" made it to the show.  I wish I could have been there but I had a graduation I had to attend :-/
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jsturtlebuggy

VW Classic June 10, 2012

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

It was a lot of fun to do.
Cannot let Bob & Diane,  and Vincent & France get all the long distance driving awards.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095