Manx on the Banx

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
louisb

Manx on the Banx

Post by louisb »

Want to attend the MOTB event but don't have a buggy? Need some minor repairs at the event? I just spoke with Valerie & Eric Stump of Island Cruisers, Inc. & Hatteras Island Performance about their buggy rental and VW repair shop on Hatteras island near where we are having the event. They have several buggies that they rent, including a couple of real Meyer's buggies. (I saw a Manx & a Towed or Towed clone on their lot.) They also sell VW parts and have a repair shop on the premiss. Typically they do not rent buggies over night, but they are willing to make an exception for Manx Club members attending the event. Their only request is that you keep them on the paved roads as they are not set up for driving on the sand, narrow tires and not enough clearance, but you could still participate on the street cruise. Here is their contact information:

Valerie & Eric Stump

Island Cruisers, Inc. & Hatteras Island Performance

(252)987-2097~ Rentals

(252)987-1250~ Mechanics Shop

www.islandcrusiersinc.com

Thanks,

--louis
Last edited by louisb on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed-Chenal

Manx on the Banx

Post by Ed-Chenal »

At the rate they are acquiring vehicles, Bob Hunter and Scott Drolet may soon go into the same Buggy Rental business here on the West Coast.
Ed
louisb

Manx on the Banx

Post by louisb »

From talking with Eric it is a lot of work to keep them up and running. And then you have idiots that drive them into the surf, get them stuck in the sand or stick 8 people in one and drive around drunk. I assured him that we would not have that problem with club members. They have a towd which I am thinking of renting for the event if it is available since my buggy wont be ready.

Though if Bob and Scott do go into business maybe I can rent one for Big Bear next year. Image

--louis
Last edited by louisb on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kustoms

Manx on the Banx

Post by Kustoms »

Finally got around to resetting my account here. It’s been a long time.

Just wanted to say I will be there and have rented a buggy. Looking forward to seeing you all again. Tom, AKA “Kustoms”, AKA “Mr Towd”
louisb

Manx on the Banx

Post by louisb »

Good deal, see you in a couple of weeks.

--louis
vincent9993

Manx on the Banx

Post by vincent9993 »

This event better get here soon! We're suposed to get 2" of snow up north this week-end. If we end up leaving Montreal in a snow storm, we better get proper recognition and/or treatment for being this mental! lol
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
louisb

Manx on the Banx

Post by louisb »

What's snow? (says the Florida boy)

Oh and it looks like we are closing in on 40 attendees registered. Going to have a good sized group for our first go around.

Thanks,

--louis
Siggymanx33

Manx on the Banx

Post by Siggymanx33 »

A few quick questions...

I renewed my membership, but probably too late to recieve the mailer.  Can I register down there?

Is anyone going down Thursday night?

What hotel are a majority of the folks staying at?

What are the plans for Saturday night?  With 40 to 50 buggies, is a potluck easy to pull-off?

louisb

Manx on the Banx

Post by louisb »

Hey Siggymanx33,

You will be able to register at the event on Friday night at the Outer Banks Brewery and we will have an up to date membership list at the site. (People will also be able to join the club at the event.) I will be arriving Thursday and will probably organize an impromptu dinner for who ever is already in the area. If you want to email me your cell# I can give you a call once I know what the plans are. It will depend on how late the Meyers are getting in that evening. My email is louisfbrooks@yahoo.com. Folks are pretty much staying all over but all the hotels listed are within 5 minutes of everything. (You have been there before so you know it is a small area.) Sat night we will be having a bonfire at the beach, weather permitting. We will also be having a local BBQ place cater the dinner. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will see you in a week.

Thanks,

--louis
Siggymanx33

Manx on the Banx

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Thanks...I actually took the time to read the flyer after sendign that email. It's all pretty explantory.

I'm either traveling completely solo or with my wife and two kids.  Depending on how that shakes out will determine my ultimate flexibility.

I believe I'm aiming for the Nags Head Inn...I sould really nail some of this down.
rzeller

Manx on the Banx

Post by rzeller »

Siggymanx33 wrote:Is anyone going down Thursday night?

What hotel are a majority of the folks staying at?

Dave,
My wife and I will be there Thurs afternoon and are staying at the Owens Hotel since they said they could handle our truck and trailer.  We are going to try and catch up with Louis that evening.  Look for us when you get there.
Bud & Sue
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
vincent9993

Manx on the Banx

Post by vincent9993 »

We're staying at Nags Head Inn as well.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Manx on the Banx

Post by vincent9993 »

We've finally ironed out most of the travel details...  We're leaving Montreal Thursday afternoon and driving to Newark (380 miles).  MS-Streets & Trips has us arriving at 6:00PM.  This means that we can probably arrive by 8:00PM, that's early enough to enjoy a nice cold beer.

We'll be leaving early on Friday (I'm thinking 5:30ish, France has more 7:30ish... we'll see) and head to Nags Head (430 miles).  We should arrive in Nags Head in mid afternoon after our 2 day drive down and a total of just over 800 miles. 

Looking forward to reuniting with our friends and our last trip of the season.

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
louisb

Manx on the Banx

Post by louisb »

Hey Vincent,

If you guys do drive to Big Bear next year and I take my buggy maybe we could meet up mid US somewhere and caravan. You guys are an inspiration.

--louis
Jon

Manx on the Banx

Post by Jon »

Got here yesterday, this place is just waiting for everyone else to arrive. This place is heaven. Another quick question....can I get one more reservation for Saturday's dinner? I'll bring money Friday nite.....

Jon