Iron Buggy-Save the Texas Dune Buggy Rally

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
manxvair

Iron Buggy-Save the Texas Dune Buggy Rally

Post by manxvair »

We had managed to accumulate a lot of miles on our Dual Sport since it hit the road in April 2017 (2 NORRA Mexican 1000's, St Louis, MOAB, Lake Topaz, NV & MOTB to name a few) but no Iron buggy. On our return trip to Southern California from the 2018 MOTB event we hit some cold and rainy weather from Louisiana to Arizona. We would be home for a few days before heading out to Texas for the Save the Texas Dune Buggy Rally, so Lori Ann and I agreed we would just trailer to TX. Well after a few beautiful days in So-Cal we figured WTH we would drive the buggy. We were offered a place to stay in Alpine, TX and decided to go for the Iron Buggy. We left our home at 0504 hrs PDT on Tuesday 23rd Oct with clear sky's and temps in the 60's. The weather forecast along the route was a chance of scattered showers. All went well with just the standard gas stops. as we approached Tucson, AZ the weather looked wet so we stopped and installed the doors, sure enough shortly after, it started raining. It continued to rain light and heavy the remaining 537 miles, somewhere around Las Cruces, NM I actually had to put my hat on in the car to keep the rain that was blowing in from getting on my glasses, that's about when I asked who's bright idea it was to drive and not trailer. We arrived at our destination at 2316 hrs PDT (0116 hrs CDT Wed 24th Oct) Travel Time 18 hrs 12 mins, distance traveled 1066.4 miles. It was definitely 1 hell of and trip thankfully our return drive from Texas was dry, and a lot more comfortable.
Our starting mileage from home in So-Cal
Our finishing mileage in Alpine, TX

phpBB [video]

A little view of our driving conditions.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
GotManx

Re: Iron Buggy-Save the Texas Dune Buggy Rally

Post by GotManx »

Nice job, that is quite a drive. I don't think I could have made it with Gusano in 18hrs and 10mins.
RaulNi

Post by RaulNi »

GotManx wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:11 pm Nice job, that is quite a drive. I need reputable probiotics for ibs like these and don't think I could have made it with Gusano in 18hrs and 10mins.
Man, things got a little dodgy because of that rain. Were you close to just stopping and waiting it out?
Last edited by RaulNi on Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

RaulNi wrote:Man, things got a little dodgy because of that rain. Were you close to just stopping and waiting it out?
Our weather apps led us to believe the rain wouldn't be that bad, and it wasn't raining at our destination, plus I was trying to get to the Hwy we needed and off of the Interstate and away from all the big rigs.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Yup, the spray from big rigs can be worse than the rain.
Not that you southern boys would likely have experienced it but those same conditions are even worse in snow! :crazy:

Paul
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

hillmotorsports wrote:Yup, the spray from big rigs can be worse than the rain.
Not that you southern boys would likely have experienced it but those same conditions are even worse in snow! :crazy:

Paul
Yeah it was a total white out when the tractor trailers passed us doing in excess of 75 mph.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)