M O T F Recap

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
FarmerJohnLI

M O T F Recap

Post by FarmerJohnLI »

Day 1 Wed. left my house a little after 4:00 AM to meet with Ron Bruckner. We managed to get off Long Island with no traffic , we proceeded up to Port Jervis to meet up with Bud , Christopher , & Paul . Bud told me that we should meet at the local bowling alley , when we got there they were waiting in the side parking area that was gravel , I couldn't resist goosing the go pedal and fishtailing into the parking lot
:roll:
.After eating some bagels with the boys , nature called me to the back of the building where I discovered a 55 gallon drum with full of old bowling balls that I had to rummage through in search of a blue metal flake one to match my buggy , no luck , but I did find an old bowling pin .We left Port Jervis heading up scenic Rt. 97 , Ron almost picked up a deer that I think wanted to jump in with him ! We met up with Vincent & France in Endicott NY and continued the caravan to Buffalo , checked in to the hotel , had dinner at a nice little place and stopped at Marc's bar "Frizzy's"

Day 2 Thurs. morning started off with Paul & Christopher putting a new exhaust on Ron's buggy as his exhaust decided to fall off while being towed up . Marc Frisicaro was able to locate & get one there for first thing in the morning . We then took a road trip to Canada Vincent Parisien & France Rousseau led us across the border and on a beautiful drive along the river past some magnificent homes and finally to the falls !! Words & pictures can not describe the beauty and power of the falls .. We met up with another Canadian , Jean Gauthier and headed back across the border to the hotel .When we got there the "shuffle To Buffalo" crew had arrived and buggies were taking over the parking lot . That night we went to Frizzy's to kick off the weekend celebration , I found out that I must be allergic to "FireBall" , because after having a few shots I had some kind of reaction that my brain & body were no longer in sinc !! After Frizzy's the party & shenanigans continued at the hotel parking garage .

Day 3 Fri.- woke up looked over at the other bed & it looked like Craig Irwin was trying to suffocate himself with a pillow ! , actually he was just trying to block out Ron Bruckner's snoring . It was a bright sunshiny day but everything was a bit cloudy & fuzzy to me , (must have been the allergic reaction to the Fireball & the nighttime shenanigans) . We met at the park to leave as a group , cruise and see the falls from the NY side . Vincent Parisien went over the "Usher" system as we seem to have problems with it here on the east coast ! Well true to form we messed it up again
:shock:
though the lights & intersections of Buffalo and 30+ buggies do not make it easy to keep a group together , we did all see some of the sights of Buffalo & finally get to Niagara Park , a quick lunch at the Hard Rock then we took in the falls from the American side. A boat ride on the "Maid Of The Mist" to the base of the falls really lets you see & experience the power of the falls! Some of us were brave enough to do the Cave of the Winds tour too. Oh , there were some parking lot shenanigans here too

Day 4 Sat . the day I was looking forward to , touring the USS Sullivans with Bruce , the ship that rescued him and the other survivors of the kamikaze attack of the air craft carrier Bunker Hill . The morning started off damp , I assured the Californians that it wasn't really raining yet and that we they would get to see some real rain . As the dampness turned into showers the show & shine turned out to be soak & shine , big thanks to all my fellow club members that voted for my car even though it was quite messy , it's nice to get recognition from your peers . Before the show portion was finished it was coming down pretty good but that didn't dampen our spirits and we went off to the naval park . When we got there parking was scarce so I asked if I could park my buggy under the sub "sail plane" & permission was granted (cool photo op) .As Bruce boarded the ship it seamed as though an energy came over Bruce , as though those long dormant ships boilers were fired up & it was full steam ahead ! We started off with a tour guide but when he turned right Bruce went left & took over as the guide/story teller his 89 year old body going up & down ladders and stepping through doorways like a man 1/2 his age ! The the experiences Bruce told us of that day were so full of emotion that I don't think there was a dry eye of those that were listening even the tour guide who was now following was amazed . When we left the ship a small ceremony was arranged whereby a color guard was present & Marc Frisicaro presented Bruce with a flag and an engraved flask with brandy to commemorate the shot of brandy Bruce had 70 years before when plucked from the sea by that ship . Later that day we had the dinner and then raffles & awards back at the hotel .