Join me (Madmanx) as I do the 2015 Manx Over The Falls

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
vincent9993

Re: Join me (Madmanx) as I do the 2015 Manx Over The Falls

Post by vincent9993 »

Glad to see you got some miles under your belt! Good job. It's Sunday night and we don't yet have the recap of the return trip... The suspense is killing us!
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

vincent9993 wrote:Glad to see you got some miles under your belt! Good job. It's Sunday night and we don't yet have the recap of the return trip... The suspense is killing us!

Ha, ha. Still in Charleston. We leave in the morning. I did have one mishap so far. My rear view mirror fell off my windshield due to the greenhouse effect - it's hot here. It was glued on with epoxy. I've glued it back on and hope it holds.

My goal was to have 1000-1500 miles on the new motor before leaving for NY. We rolled 900 miles this afternoon. I should have ~1200-1300 by the time I leave (four weeks from today!!!!).
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Finished our first long solo trip in the buggy (418 miles round-trip) and I used it as a wet-down cruise for my up-coming trip to MOTF. I decided I would try out some of the tricks and tips I've read/heard about from others. One tip was the use of blue painter's tape to record temporary notes and put them in front of you on the windshield. I decided to modify the idea and just use a blue dry erase marker and write my notes directly on the windshield (advantage of this is you can see through the notes and there isn't anything blocking your view). It worked like a charm, just don't clean the windshield until after you are done with the notes (see picture below - I put a piece of paper behind the windshield so you can see the notes):

I learned that no matter how much planning you do, there will be something you overlooked or forgot. In my case my rear view mirror fell off. Driving without one is stressful and dangerous in that you can't see what's approaching you from behind or safely change lanes. I bought Gorilla glue from Lowe's and put it back on last night (to cure overnight). Surprise, not the right stuff. Fell off again 3/4 on the way home. I stopped at an auto parts store and got the "right" stuff. Hope this holds. I'll be putting a new tube in my kit.

Another lesson learned: road noise (wind and motor) is deafening. I will be getting ear plugs.

Boredom: not sure what to do about this. Even though Sue went with me, there were long stretches of time where she slept and/or we didn't talk because of the noise. Made the road very long. I have music in the buggy but at 65-70 mph the road noise cancels it out. I'll be on the road to and from MOTF alone in the buggy. I'm open to suggestions on this one.

The trip was a resounding success for me. Proved the buggy WILL hold together and most importantly, boosted my self-confidence of being out on the road alone (so-to-speak). There was something comforting when we crossed back into our home state and saw this:

While this trip was/is no big deal to the road warriors, here are our stats anyway
Day 1
Miles traveled: 221
Hours: 5.5

Day 2 (return trip)
Miles traveled: 197
Hours: 4.5

Highest road speed: 73 mph (most comfortable at 65 mph)
Average gas mileage for the whole trip: 25.4 miles/gal
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Wow nice mpg!
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Congrats on a successful shakedown run! If the only issue you had was a rearview mirror, it's a positive sign that you'll do well on your trip up north!

As for borebom, I don't have the 1 thing that will help but I've learned to control it...

I try to eat as little as I can at breakfast and lunch and I try to shorten my stints after lunch when you're most prone to being tired. Mike Dario did get us hooked on sunflower seeds to combat drowsiness. I don't know if it helps but I try to keep a bottle of water in the car and will take a sip once in a while. If I get too tired, I will pull off an exit ramp and walk around the buggy twice and I can get right back in for another 1-2 hours without too much trouble. The last trick I use is: while keeping my speed below 60mph, I try to adjust valve geometry on the #3 cylinder <- Ok, you can't but thinking about stuff I want to get done on the buggy does contribute to keeping my mind active. Your 1st few trips, your worries about mechanical reliability should be enough to keep you from drowsing off ;-)

I bet your mechanical confidence got stronger as you crossed back in your home state line and were within tow-bar distance from home! Our 1st long trips, I would consistently drive the buggy harder on the return trip as we got close to home.

I can't remember who it was that was telling me about them a few weeks ago, maybe at Carlisle. But they mentioned that there are electronic ear plugs that will filter out the wind noise but keep the low sound stuff going through. I've always been afraid of using ear plugs on the freeway for fear of not sensing the elements around me (trucks, cars, engine, etc).

Congrats to both of you for the successful trip!
Mike1991

Post by Mike1991 »

Vincent,

You have my attention and curiosity up. My Manx really likes up to 60mph. If you could what would you do and why? Below is your comment from above. I would guess that heat is the issue.

"The last trick I use is: while keeping my speed below 60mph, I try to adjust valve geometry on the #3 cylinder <- Ok, you can't……"

It's all small things like:
  • Change the urethane bushings
  • Soften the front suspension
  • Make a new top
  • Install oil cooler
  • Rear disc brakes
  • Better CB radio
  • Improve weatherproofing
I'm probably not bored/tired enough to list the things I think about tweaking on the buggy. When the list gets thin, I start thinking about the next buggy we're building.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

I'm six (6) days :crazy: away from departure for my trip. So far Paul (Pongo) is traveling with me and Farmer John has indicated he may meet me in Port Jervis, NY on Wednesday morning (24 Jun). If anyone else is interested in joining along the route, please have a look at my latest route and timing and let me know. We are planning to arrive Buffalo late Wednesday (24 Jun) afternoon.

The butterflies are in abundance :shifty:

Ready or not....
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Hi Bud, just realized you're going through toll Chesapeake Bay Bridge and possibly a few other toll roads. If you have your EZ-Pass (or think you have time to get one), it would be a good idea. It may save you a bunch of time at toll crossings.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

vincent9993 wrote:Hi Bud, just realized you're going through toll Chesapeake Bay Bridge and possibly a few other toll roads. If you have your EZ-Pass (or think you have time to get one), it would be a good idea. It may save you a bunch of time at toll crossings.
Vincent, where do you get them?
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Got mine online and was pretty quick to get it (to Canada). The transponder itself is free but you have to top up the account on 1st use.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

vincent9993 wrote:Got mine online and was pretty quick to get it (to Canada). The transponder itself is free but you have to top up the account on 1st use.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml

Looks like a no-go on the EZ-Pass (5-7 business days to get the transponder) :-(
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Exciting news: Chris Lewis has decided to join the Bud Zealots (that's our group name) on my maiden long distance journey to Buffalo. Chris will accompany Paul and me from Manteo, NC starting on Sunday. Woo Hoo! Chris is getting a special treat in that he gets to spend a day relaxing in my home town (Port Jervis) with me.

Hmm, just happened to think, is this a Joescoolcustoms' spy????

T minus 3 days and counting! :clap:
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

A secret plant can come in many forms. But verification is an arduous task.

I hope you three have a safe and wonderful trip! Looking forward to some nice pictures.
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Wish our times matched up better, I'd love to meet up with you guys, but we can't leave until Thursday morning.
calvin

Post by calvin »

Bud, relating to the EZPass. There are several paces to just walk up and buy an EZPass here in VA. I think there is an office on RT 168 (The Chesapeake Expressway) that is right on your way. There is also an office at the south end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel I think.

Here is the VA web site with info.

https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/Store-Locations.aspx

In my last trip up that direction an EZPass would have saved money, but not a great amount unfortunately. It was most often only available to cars, and I happened to be towing a small trailer with a dune buggy on it ($42 one way on the NJ Turnpike ... Seriously???) The round trip from VA up Eastern Shore to Gloucester, MA was over $250 in tolls....

Calvin