Shuffle to Buffalo 2015

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
Millertime

Re: Shuffle to Buffalo 2015

Post by Millertime »

Hi Scott, Thanks for putting the truck together for the trip back. If you need a drop spot for the three San Diego cars your welcome to use Frontier Fence in Escondido.
dr.drywall

Post by dr.drywall »

Add two to the Buffalo run. Roger white #4388 and Dennis Rapp. Roger glamis365@gmail.com 909-740-4660
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I'm currently in Mexico with the NORRA 1000 crew, I will touch base with you when I return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Millertime wrote:Hi Scott, Thanks for putting the truck together for the trip back. If you need a drop spot for the three San Diego cars your welcome to use Frontier Fence in Escondido.
Thank you Mark, your generous offer. I'll take you up on that!
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Well, just 45 days before we pull out of Rancho Cucamonga, California and point our Manx hood badges towards Buffalo New York. If you're like me, you've started to go through your buggy to make sure it's capable of driving a couple thousand miles without leaving you stranded. That, and a conversation with Bruce Parrish, reminded me of a list that Mel Folkertsma put together for the Sea to Sea Safari a couple years back, Here it is:

Freeway speeds generate a lot of heat and are known to be potentially devastating to air-cooled engines. Even with an already reliable air cooled engine consider going to high octane fuel (91) as it has a longer chemical chain so burns slightly slower. In theory that equals less heat at TDC and less chance of harmful detonation. Backing off the ignition timing a few degrees can also help your engine stay cooler on a long run. You might want to carry extra jets of the next larger sizes. Read a spark plug after a period of unusual motor exertion or after a long day. If it is burning too hot, or the engine still needs more cooling, you can try going up on the primary carburetor jetting. If your air cooled buggy has had reliability issues then please consider not making the trip.

Suggested Air Cooled VW maintenance prior to attempting this trip:
⃞ A general tune-up including engine timing and valve clearances. How is your oil pressure when the engine is hot? Any leaks? Look for visible deficiencies like worn fan belt, torn boots, etc.
⃞ General check of all problem areas you have had in the past.
⃞ Are all aspects of the buggy street legal?
⃞ Check engine compression. All cylinders should be above 90 lbs and within 25 lbs of each other.
⃞ Take a long run at freeway speeds and read your spark plugs. Re-jet if necessary.
⃞ Adjust your alternator belt. (Also, old belts tend to slip more)
⃞ Change engine oil. Due to consistent freeway speeds consider using a slightly heavier oil than you normally use, or better yet, go to synthetic for the trip.
⃞ Change fuel filter. Carry an extra or two. Install new fuel lines.
⃞ Check brake system thoroughly: Fluid level, shoe adjustment, e-brake function, look for leaks or seepage.
⃞ Your buggy needs to have a fuel range of at least 200 miles (more is better).
⃞ Check Transaxle fluid level. Adjust clutch. Does your buggy ever pop out of gear?
⃞ Check tire condition and set pressure for a street run. Check lug nuts/bolts for proper torque.
⃞ Grease all front end fittings. Any steering slop? Find out why and repair if necessary.
⃞ Lights. Are all lights working? Check headlight alignment.
⃞ Have a working CB radio and check CB radio functionality. We need to be able to talk to each other over perhaps a mile.
⃞ Check rear brake drums for spline slop and replace if necessary. Check torque on rear axle nuts.
⃞ Do you have a way to get out of the sun/rain while driving? A soft top or rack might be advisable.
⃞ Carry a rain suit and other clothing for most any type of weather.
⃞ Have a working windshield wiper. Motorized recommended. Rain not guaranteed but one would think probable. Rain-X the windshield inside and out. Carry a small squeegee to get water off the inside of the windshield.
⃞ Exposed air filters should have some sort of cover to shield them from rain.
In addition to buggy specific and personal items you need, everyone should carry necessary tools, an extra fan belt, fuel filters, ignition module or points, engine oil, brake fluid, spare tire and any fuses they may need. A working cell phone, street GPS unit, and a fire extinguisher are also good ideas.

So, there you go . . . Something to do this weekend! A special ”Thank You” again to Mel Folkertsma for the careful thought he put into this, and for allowing his list to be used in this forum. Thanks Mel!
RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

Thanks for posting this list, Scott! Those are great tips and we used that list when we prepared for the ECVW 14 (along with LOTS of questions and fretting). I would like to add a few items and observations.

Our tank hold around 8ish gallons and we can get around 25 mpg. That barely makes the 200 mile range, so we prefer to start looking for a station at the 150 mile mark. Plus, that's about 2 hours in the buggy...time for a break! :-)

If you run an electric fuel pump...bring an extra. Nuff said.

CB Radio- This was a great addition and was used frequently. Highly recommended! Cobra makes one that's basically all in the handheld unit and takes up very little space.

Other items we found were useful were sunscreen (obvious), ear plugs and a way to secure your buggy for the night. Ear plugs were useful in the Kansas winds. Kept our eardrums from being sore later.

Looking forward to the ride!

Tim and Barb
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Great additions Tim, especially the earplugs! Good point on refueling as well. We do shoot for 150 miles between gas stops as a rule of thumb, but find it helpful if the cars have a little more range just in case we're out in the middle of nowhere with gas another 10 or 15 miles away.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

OK All Shufflers . . . . An announcement and a request.

Announcement: We are rapidly closing in on our transport company with four cars definitely coming back, and one still a maybe. If there are any other participants out there that think they might want to ship their car back, please speak up now before the contract is signed. It appears our carrier will be Ace American Transport out of Las Vegas, Nevada (Thank you Mike Heilbronn at CPR Classic Restoration, and Bruce Parrish for the referral). They can accomodate all of our requests: Buggies picked up on Sunday, June 28th in Buffalo, NY, with two drop off points, one in Escondido, CA and one in Glendale CA., delivered in an enclosed trailer without moving them off and on between other trailers, and delivered on or before Tuesday, July 7th. The cost will be dependant on how many buggies we commit to transporting, but the range is between $1,600 each down to $1,300.00 each. Once we commit, we cannont cancel, so each of us are on the hook for the transport rather or not our car makes it on the truck. To date, those who are on the truck are Mike & Lori Ann Dario, Bruce Parrish, Mark Miller and myself. Bruce and Winnie Meyers are still on the fence, as they may not be coming back at the same time the rest of us are. (They are, however, 90% sure they'll be on the truck).

Request: For EVERYONE that is coming along on the Shuffle Off to Buffalo tour, please email me your Names, Email address, and cell phone number to scottdrolet@live.com. Mike & Lori Ann Dario and I will be putting together a directory and programing our phones so we have the ability to send group alerts via text message and email when we're out on the road. Once we have this all put together, we'll send a copy of it to all participants so everyone can contact everyone else. Please do this as soon as possible before we all forget :shock:

Just a few more weeks left . . . Is this going to be a blast or what!?!?!?!?!?
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I already have the info for the following.

Dario
Drolet
Meyers
Baumgartner
Tebbe
Miller
Myers
Landon
Connelly
Parish
Luttrell
Yahn
Byrnes
Paola
Nitzsche
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
RedBaronofRedBud

Oh...one last thing that Barb reminded me was a well stocked first aid kit! It means the difference between a clean, sterile bandage and an oily rag wrapped in electrical tape! (Yes, there is a story behind this...)
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

vwmanx

Post by vwmanx »

Don't forget Bars Leak! :crazy:
RedBaronofRedBud

Don't forget Bars Leak! :crazy:

That stuff rocks!! Made believers out of us!
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Will there be any chase vehicles on this trip that might be able to bring a New Manx hood to Buffalo?

The Franken Manx I have is in bad need of a new hood.
vwmanx

Post by vwmanx »

Good question joe. I am thinking to possibly get a spare manxter windshield
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I think so, I will check and get back to you.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)