2014 Baja Tour

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
ManxManiac

Re: 2014 Baja Tour

Post by ManxManiac »

Congratulations to Bruce & his crew & the "Baja Bunch" for proving that dreams can come true!!! This trip in itself has probably broken a bunch of records & been a true "Once in a lifetime" adventure!!! Then you add the NORRA 1000 & the quest to get Bruce a "finish" in a race down Baja!!! Just think about how many have never finished Baja & will never get an opportunity to do so!!! My hats off & a big thumbs up to all of you!!! Thank you for the photos & reports when you could give them!!! Everyone get your buggies serviced & get plenty of rest... Big Bear isn't very far away!!!
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Rest day, (continued) A group of us took a drive down the highway about 20 Kilometers to Cabo San Lucas, the place where most people either arrive by cruise ship or airplane. That wouldn't be Manx club style though. We decided on a little boat ride for sightseeing and of course that meant booze cruise!. We saw some magnificent sites, where the Sea of Cortez meets the Pacific Ocean, Lovers beach which is 1 cove over from divorce beach, we all decided to stay in the boat! Lands end, the very tip of the Baja peninsula. Once again we found an incredible place for lunch, the smoked marlin tacos were a match for the lobster tacos in Los Barriles. While returning to our hotel we found a beach to drive on and took a swim in the Sea of Cortez.

Booze cruise!
The point where the Sea of Cortez(nearest) meets the Pacific Ocean(farthest)
Lands end of Baja California
Lunch along with adult beverages in red solo cups. Awesome smoked marlin tacos!
beach just north east of Cabo San Lucas,
time for a swim in the Sea of Cortez.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

San Jose Del Cabo-Mulege. This days drive would cover over 450 miles, not easy in Mexico. We left our hotel at 0600 hrs in the dark, air temp was t-shirt & shorts. Once we rounded the tip of Baja and headed up the pacific coast side it got a bit chilly, very scenic but chilly. Breakfast stop in Todos Santos again another hidden gem from the memories of Bruce & Winnie's previous journey's. There were a lot of road construction projects between La Paz and Loreto this meant driving in the dirt alongside the highway for 5-6 kilometers (3-4 miles) on unwatered, poorly graded dirt, the dust was so thick you couldn't see 15-20' combined with 100+ temps and it was not the most ideal travel conditions. After about 12 hrs on the road we arrived at our "rustic" hotel in Mulege, thankfully they had a pool and a bar so we cooled off and re-hydrated.

Sunrise while on the road.

Breakfast in Todos Santos, another little gem of Bruce and Winnie's

making our way North, driving along the Pacific Ocean side of Baja.

1 of the many road construction project bypasses.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Mulege-San Quintin, again another 0600 start with 434 miles to look forward to, not as much road construction but we would have to cross the Vizcaino desert. On the drive south we were informed by our chase truck (windows up, a/c on) that he was showing 110+ temps. Early start to try to beat the heat, only around 90 this time through. We definitely tested the cooling abilities of our air cooled engines. We would also encounter multiple Military check points, they decided to perform closer inspections this time through. This leg we also gained the hour we lost when we crossed the Mountain/Pacific time zones at Guerrero Negro. At Chapal Junction the  group went 2 directions Phil-Moore and Beccarita (Phil & Becca Moore) along with Manx Team Nacho Cheese racing, John Steinhilber, Joe, Warren and Jim broke off and headed up to San Felipe. The rest continued up to San Quintin and another little hideaway location called The Old Mill, where we greeted by the owner with an ice cold cervesa while we checked in, no pool so a shower and our last night's supper in Mexico.

another early start.

Philmoore and Beccarita, yes, ask her how she got that nick-name.

Team Nacho Cheese, L-R standing Warren, John, Joe and Jim with Andy Felix in the middle.

Occasional traffic slowing.

1 of the many Military checkpoints. Their rifles were indeed loaded with ammo!

L-R Lemon Tebbe, Doran and Tibor Dobranzsky, Jim Chamberlain, Andy Felix and Mark Tebbe.

L-R Lori Ann Dario, Justin Acker, Bob Kornoff, John & Charli Paola, Bill McLean and of course Bruce & Winnie
The last supper in Mexico!
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

San Quintin-USA, 1 more early start! although we were only 3 hrs from the border we still had to get across it on a Sunday, drive to our tow vehicles located in the San Diego area and still drive home. Breakfast consisted of sweat rolls and coffee (no coffee the day before) in a PeMex gas station store and then the journey north stopping only for fuel and bathrooms. In Mexico the tractor trailer drivers are just flipping nuts! they will drive like there is no tomorrow and pass you in the craziest places. the only drivers crazier are American chase vehicle drivers, they will pass you more aggressively then the locals, look out here they come! The border crossing wait was only about 45 minutes (not bad on a Sunday I'm told) and again we all went our separate ways. After some lunch and some business to finish at Meyers Manx HQ, Lori Ann and I headed home completing our day of driving around 9 pm. Another awesome adventure in the books!

Dave bear watching me load the buggy 1 more time.

1 last am drivers meeting.

Chase truck driver Bill McLean, no tow bar but the drinks were always cold in his ice chest.

Jim Camberlain and Andy Felix, worked their butts off on the race car and were just fun to be around.

US off road race/chase drivers won't hesitate to pass you!

The wait to cross the border, about 45 minutes.

Back in the USA!
marklandon

Post by marklandon »

Great job with all the photos Mike and Lori Ann it was a great adventure with all the buggy people and the race teams
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Some numbers from our trip,
Distance traveled in the Buggy=3,932 Kilometers or 2443 miles.
Max speed 128KPH or 79 MPH (whew!)  average pace about 96 KPH or 60 MPH
Approx Fuel used in Mexico 476 Liters (6,350 peso's) or 126 Gallons ($508)
Averaged 8 Liters per Kilometer or 19 MPG.

There were no major vehicle issues on this journey. In San Diego there was a loose coil wire-fixed, Leaking oil seal and brake master cylinder malfunction-fixed and later they met us at Horsepower Ranch in Ensenada.  I had a stuck carb float/needle at Horsepower Ranch on Saturday that Bob Hunter and Greg Lewin helped me repair before I headed south(also thanks to internet and Corvair forums). On the way to Bahia De Los Angeles 1 buggy suffered a flat tire that was quickly replaced, and another buggy ran out of gas about about 15 miles from the next fuel stop. There were a couple of other occasions where buggies ran a little short of fuel but we carried extra. and once Doran ran out, others would dump in their spare gas. Mexico doesn't
have stations on every corner so you need to plan your travel by fuel
stops. The race cars on the other hand weren't so lucky, Team Nacho Cheese Manxster #119 may have inhaled a little to much silt and had to retire at the end of the first day. The crew quickly turned there efforts to assisting with Bruce's car. The #1964 Manxster needed 2 transmission's and 2 engines to complete the race, plus a lot of hard working crew members and Marty Fioka's personal Manxster for donor parts.

Race car repairs in Bahia De Los Angeles.

There are speed bumps in all the towns, some are bigger then others and will test your suspension travel (right Mark Tebbe?)

Beccarita is queen of the world!

Bob Kornoff and his race car, grandson Justin Acker who also drove and rode as navigator.

Winnie's picture of her crossing the Finish line in the Kick out before Bruce did!

The occasional turn around, 2-3 a day was good luck!

Sunset in La Paz(this is where Beccarita earned her name, Lol)

We left our mark just like at Graceland, we needed flat buggy!

Did I mention the KILLER Lobster tacos in Los Barilles!

AM drivers meeting in Loreto. NOT a Police line up!

some of the scenery along the highway.

Dinner at Horsepower Ranch, If you walked away hungry it was your own fault!

Bruce, Rozita and John kickin' it.

Made in California!

The people in Mexico were very friendly and welcoming, proof that the
dune buggy is an International invitation to smile and wave! As with
our Sea to Sea Safari this adventure was INCREDIBLE, the people were
INCREDIBLE and worth every minute of it! A very big Thank you to all the race team crew members for their hard work and sacrifices, Thank you to all involved for memories that will last a lifetime!
"WOW what a ride!"
"Mike out"
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

Thanks Mike for the pictures and posting. It was indeed a trip of a lifetime especially being with Bruce and being able to help make a dream come true. I am especially grateful to all the club members who made this trip very special for my grandson Justin. He just can't stop taking about it and I'm sure for a long time to come.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

I finally uploaded my pictures, and even though they mirror Mike and Lori Ann's, I thought I'd share them. I'm ready to plan a second trip already, this time for two weeks,  so we can explore more than just a couple of the dusty side roads we had to rush by. A beautiful place that needs more time to fully appreciate. As Bruce said: "Most Americans think there's banditos in Baja who want to take our heads off, but the experience is always the exact opposite". What a great country, culture, and experience. Mark my words . . . in ten years I'll be a retired expat happily living on the beaches of Baja.

Waiting for Bruce and the race car in Santo Tomas on Monday, day one of the race.

Our first rest stop after Bruce had driven his first leg of the race and rejoined the group. Somewhere between San Thomas and El Rosario.

Stopping for lunch at Mama Espinoza's in El Rosario

Mama Espinoza is 108 years old and still active in the business. She was under the weather this day, but Bruce spotted her daughter, who he's known since the 60's

She spoke of her mother, and of Bruce and the early days.

After lunch, we began the 170 mile drive across the dry, dusty, windy desert between the Pacific and the Bahia De Los Angeles on the Sea of Cortez. The temperature reached 104.

It was soon after this point that Becca and Phil Moore got a flat tire, our first and only breakdown on the entire trip.  We reached the Bahia just as the sun was beginning to set.

Day 2, Tuesday, sunrise over the Sea of Cortez

The group ready to leave for our next stop over - Loreto.

And, we're off!

Stopping for lunch at a taco stand within the oasis at San Ignacio

Also a checkpoint for the NORRA

And a place where you can use the bano for 5 pesos:-)

The Mission San Ignacio was built between 1728 and 1840, and still stands today

Off again! Continuing to Loreto

A side trip through Santa Rosalia offered another chance to get tied up in a couple of one-way street circle abouts. We drove around in circles three times before we were able to break the pattern.

Driving through Mulege, right before the Bahia Concepcion

As we approached we began to burn daylight

A beautiful sunset before we hit Loreto.

Wednesday, May 13th - A beautiful sunrise the next morning before heading off to San Jose Del Cabo, and the finish line.

Charly and Jon - We swapped buggies at the lunch stop so they could see how David Barrett's chassis rode - (They loved it, as do I)

One of the many churches we passed in each town

All of us wearing our Dust to Destiny shirts to cheer Bruce over the finish line. This is the amazing Lobster Taco place where we ate in Rancho Leonero.

Then, thanks to Mark Landon, who accidently crossed the finish line about a half hour earlier, he took us back so we could all crossed the finish line together

Clearly we confused some people

The woman in the middle holding her hand up (third from the left) was pitching a small fit and wanted all of us to turn around.

No comprende, we wanted to finish

at least somebody was happy for us . . .

He wasn't too sure . . .

We took over the first row when we arrived . . .

But thought better of it and moved them against the back wall before the officials asked us to leave.

Here comes Bruce!

Let the celebration begin!

On the road at 6 since it was now Friday and we only had three days to get back home. Breakfast at Las Fuentes in Todos Santos -  a beautiful small town  on the Pacific side of the peninsula

It was really hard to leave all of this behind . . .

Heading home we hit some road work that had us stopped for about an hour outside of Bahia Concepcion. This night we stayed in a "rustic" hotel in Mulege.

The next night, we stayed in San Quintin at the Old Mill Hotel. A really nice place, not just the hotel, but the beautiful ocean that surrounds it.
We're in the home stretch now, just a few more hours to the border. So, again,, cars are moving at 6- am

Chase car extraordinaire, Bill!

I was down to about 10 bucks in pesos, but I was determined to cross the border on just this amount. Fortunately, Doran had pity for me and threw me a 20 spot (and Winnie offered as well)

Mike and Lori Ann as we headed into Ensenada.

Cool hotel-slash-winery in the wine region of Ensenada. Those odd little boxes on the hill are hotel rooms!

Closing in on the Tecate border

Waiting at the border - For a race weekend it wasn't bad, less than an hour to get across.

Mark Landon heard I was low on cash and donated about 20 pesos to the cause. At this point, I just had to make it about a quarter of a mile.

Mike and Lori Ann made it across before me. Our agent was the slowest of all lines open - he was a bit of a talker.

Back in the good Ol' USofA

The end of an amazing trip with a terrific group of travelling friends.  I couldn't have asked for a better team with which to travel. Truly, they went out of their way to work together and make the trip enjoyable for all. Thank you all for a great week!
Surf58

Post by Surf58 »

Great pictures and story of an "amazing trip" Scott. Thanks to all again for taking us along.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Thanks for posting the pictures Scott.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

Ok super cool Run, and no one can complain not enough photos. Too cool thanks