Big Bear 2013

Trip tales and travel stories from around the globe. Share your adventure!
Old-Towd

Big Bear 2013

Post by Old-Towd »

Another fun weekend at Big Bear Lake.  Lots of Buggy's  and lots of Buggy Buddys.  Super thanks to all the hard working event staff.  

Here is me and Christy waiting to receive our plaque I think someone gave us false information, no plaque.    

Here is the big guy Bruce Meyers at the drivers meeting -

Here is the leader of the Blue run Kevin -

Lunch break -

A few of us at dinner Saturday night -

The view from our motorhomes RV spot Big Bear Lake -

Man Christy is checking out the Manxter and ignoring our buggy - 

Where was this buggy when I was a kid ?  One of these was raffled off at the awards ceremony -

Awards Ceremony -

On the left Dave Barrett's Kubel Lite  on the right I was told this is the only Kubelwagen that Bruce Meyer's made -

On our way home down Hwy 38, about 80% down the hill we over heated the breaks and lost all breaks.  We learned if we stood by the cliff and extended our arm over the cliff we could barely get phone connection.  We were able to talk to our daughter which in turn called Kevin to see if he had already started down the hill so he could help us.  But by the time we received the reply, Kevin got the message but he was already at home about 80 miles away and he was on his way back to us.  We thought for sure we were looking at about a $1200 tow service to get it back to Orange Co. Kevin arrived and by then I finally found the master cylinder under the inside engine cover down below the engine by the exhaust which I couldn't reach  ( Thanks to the manufacturer of my Flair motorhome for hiding the master cylinder so well ) 

Even though Kevin denies it I think he took Yoga just to be able to get in position to reach the master cylinder.  The fluid level was ok but we added some.  Kevin being the Buggy Buddy he is and being able to slip under the lower part of the motothome to adjust the E-brake, by now it has been a few hours and the system must have cooled off and we had brakes again.  These Flair Motorhomes have an unusual vacuum power assist that we think is having a problem.  Anyway, we unhooked my buggy and hooked it to Kevin's truck and he followed me slowly down the rest of the hill with only a few fellow Americans giving us the one finger salute as they passed us.  I wasn't real thrilled about trying the rest of the hill with a vehicle that had break problems and Christy got quite annoyed when I mentioned she could drive the motorhome and I would ride with Kevin.  There will be no end to my payback to Kevin for rescuing us.  He spent the weekend at Big Bear with all of us went all the way home and came back to rescue us and was cheerful about it.  If there is an award for  Buggy Buddy of the year, Kevin deserves it.  Like I say, I can't thank Kevin enough.   

Jay - We Sacrifice Quality So You Can Save
1969 Sand Rover T pickup
1962 Baja / 1986 CT110 Honda Trailbike
1973 Thing / Yorba Linda,Ca.
MC 2693, RBC, DSB, SoCalBajas, hondatrailcts, BurroBuggies
Lee-Hoffer

Big Bear 2013

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

Excellent story and photos, Jay! Sounds like quite the adventure coming down the mountain. You're right, Kevin is the best.
myspeedbuggie

Big Bear 2013

Post by myspeedbuggie »

Kevin also rescued me this weekend too! I was driving my buggy up the mountain and ran out of gas. I called AAA. They brought me 2 gallons of gas. I was not sure that would get me up to Big-bear. I still had about 20 miles to go. I called Kevin be stopped in Redlands got me a five gallon can and filled it up! He is a great friend!
Thank you Kevin250r
Last edited by myspeedbuggie on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
marklandon

Big Bear 2013

Post by marklandon »

So cool thanks for putting them up!!!
Kev250R

Big Bear 2013

Post by Kev250R »

Thanks for the kind words guys, I was just doing what any friend would do for another.  Jay is too polite to mention it but I was saddened to hear that for the ~2 hours he and Christy sat on the side of the road with the hood open on their motorhome that 'Buggy after 'Buggy passed him without stopping.  As I was coming-back up the hill I saw two 'Buggies going-down the hill being flat-towed.  I'm not advocating making a habit of stopping for anyone stopped on the side of the road but if you see it's a fellow club member with a 'Buggy attached, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to stop and see if there's anything they need.  In Jay's case all he needed was a long-screwdriver, a small bit of brake fluid and some time.

I'll get-off my soapbox now and post-up some of my pics.  It was a very enjoyable weekend and I think I'm starting to get the hang of this leader thing.  Thanks for everyone who followed me on the Blue Run, here are a few of my pics:

Camp K-Dog at Holloway's

Headed home, ready for the next adventure!

Kevin

Big Bear 2013

Post by 1856 »

Kev, excellent point. and thanks all for shareing the pics and stories
MnC
Last edited by 1856 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed-Chenal

Big Bear 2013

Post by Ed-Chenal »

I concur with 1856 ..... in the Redwoods.
Ed
Art3358

Big Bear 2013

Post by Art3358 »

Sounds like Mr. Toads wild ride. LOL

Good seeing you Jay. Glad all turned out ok.
dcamomanx

Big Bear 2013

Post by dcamomanx »

Jay,
I'm glad you made it home safe. I also want to thank Kevin for helping you out. I feel the same and am surprised no one stopped. On our trip down we stopped to try and help another buggy buddy on the side of the road. He lost the nut that holds the tow ball on to the hitch. Luckily he had pulled over and as he was leaving was when the buggy went free. By the time we stopped he had already found a new nut and was about to re hook everything again. There wasn't much to help with at that point, but at least we knew he was on his way OK. I agree with Kevin, I don't stop for everyone, but if you see a fellow club member in need of help, it nice to stop and see if you can help. You never know when you may be the one in need of help.

On another note, I had a great time and can't wait till next year

Doran  
Last edited by dcamomanx on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.