Our 77 EG33 Powered Baja Bus

Bring your Burros, Sportsters, and other steel bodied buggies out of the corral.
Oz-Towdster

Our 77 EG33 Powered Baja Bus

Post by Oz-Towdster »

As well as my Towd we have also had this Baja Kombi since 2006 and yes like the Tow'dster it currently is under a major restoration
Baja Kombi's were quite popular here back in the late 80's / early 90's and as such ours was lifted by the man that did most of them and made a business out of it at the time
Fast forwarding to 2006 when we first bought this one it had , had the lift done a few years earlier and was powered by a 2lt type 4 which was basicully stock , coupled up to a 3 rib 002 bus tranny that gave it reasonable gearing combined with the 33" rear tyres on road but in my opinion was bloody hopeless on anything but hard sand and you darent take it anywhere near rocky offroad or the diff and gears were quickly mush .
So given all of that it wasn't to long before i had done a deal with Brad ( Turn Key Manx ) when he still lived here and i purchased off of him a Subaru EG33 3.3lt flat six that he had partially installed into another kombi of his at the time but like so many of Brads grand projects it never quite got finished , anyway like i said i bought it and over about 8 months installed it into our Baja Kombi with a 091 6 rib bus box this time as the 091 gearing would better suit the power of the flat six
The engine conversion was along with quite a few rust repairs completed around Oct 2008 which within 48 hrs we had cruizing on the Fraser isl beaches .
In the next 9 months we refined a few of the driveline and engine transplant modifications while keeping it at the time a daily driver and basicully from then up unto now i have been repairing the rest of the body , etc etc etc , did i mention AC , and about a thousand other modifications .
Anyway i'll let the pictures tell the story , and feel free to ask questions etc on how i've done anything as it's pretty much a solo built one off

Anyway thanks for looking and i'll throw up some more build pics as it gets closer to getting back on the road