Manxter 2+2 Build in Australia

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Hi there my USA Mates. I have started building my first Manxter down here in Australia and thought you might enjoy the read.
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

After quite a while in design and planning it is now time to begin what may well be the quickest Full Compliance Buggy Build many of you will ever see. The clock is ticking and failure is not an option. This Buggy will be on the Manx Club Fraser Island Trip in October this year. Now I see you laugh and snicker as you have seen many of my builds go by the way side in search of Buggy Utopia...... well this build has something those didn't ... direction from my wife to say we will not be driving a Cruiser at Fraser and WE WILL BE IN A 4 SEATER BUGGY.
So the time has come to Make Some Sunshine in the shed.
Sunshine will be the 1st Manx Built by Meyers Manx Australia and will be used to showcase our products as well as blaze the way for approved Manxter 2+2 Kits in Australia.
Build Specs:
  • Manxter 2+2 Kit - Silver Sands Metallic ( looks gold to me), with side pods, hard top and rear radiator wing
  • Ball Joint / IRS Buggy Pan
  • MMA Heavy Duty Floor Halves
  • CFAB 181 Front Beam and Brakes
  • MMA rear Disc Kit
  • Subaru Gears Reverse Ring and Pinion Set and 5 Speed Subaru Box.
  • Subaru EJ 22 Engine
  • Bruce Meyers Signature Wheels
So that is the plan. VWMA will be running a build story on it which is why I have posted it in Sneek Peek as I didn't want Manx Club Members to miss out on watching it evolve.
I guess the Build Officially started on 17 Jun 2011 when Ben picked up a Beetle for me that I found on Gumtree. The add was not very deatiled and said "Beetle rolling with wheels and gearbox ....maybe 76 -  $250 FIRM" now a 76 would make it IRS and Ball Joint which is exactly what I wanted to start this build so I rang the number and spoke to a nice lady who didn't really know much about it. She did send me some pictures though so that was a good start.

As you can see from the pictures it was not a 76 ( no padded dash, no rear 1/4 vents, wrong front guards, wrong rear guards etc)  so my heart sank a little as I had sort of convinced myself that it would be a 76 and mean I was getting IRS / Ball Joint from factory for $250 which would be sweet ...
But the above pictures didn't put me off as I could see it was a Ball Joint beetle which had the good 12V wiper motor .. then the third picture arrived which made me smile.
Can you guess why ?
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Ok so with the bug bought it was time to sit back and wait for it to arrive. Luckily for me Ben's little CRV was able to make it all the way to my shed and deliver Sunshine nice and safe, I would hate for him to get dinted and knocked about.
Once we had him back on the ground  we waved good bye to Ben and the CRV  as he went off to enjoy the rest of their  weekend, this was a good thing as it left time for Sunshine and I to get to know each other.
After chatting for a few hours Sunshine asked who else was hanging out in the yard, I explained that most of my VW collection had gone away but Billy Bob was still there and he had spent a lot of time playing with VW's. Wow,  Sunshine was impressed and asked to meet Billy Bob. Who was I to turn down such a request?
So Billy Bod was fired up and the two met up. I don't think it was quiet what Sunshine had in mind but I explained it was for his own good and if Billy Bob didn't help him out with his cancer removal who would know what could happen.
Billy Bob Soon had the situation in hand.
Not long after they met for the first time Sunshine had most of his problem areas removed.
At first Sunshine was upset and began to cry, so I showed him some pictures of his new clothes and explained it wouldn’t be long now until he was all dressed and turning heads like never before.
He soon began to feel better, even more so after his slushy Semi Auto Box was removed to make space for a Subaru 5 Speed.
Now feeling all young and light again he asked if I could help him out with a bit of a clean as the muddy flood water had left their mark. Now I am not usually one to wash things according to my wife, but I did manage to find 1500 PSI and a steam cleaner which did the job just nice.
Once that was complete I had to head off and do some other stuff, Sunshine decided to laze about and catch some rays.
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Well when I started this project I wanted to make sure it was as reliable as possible and that meant when it came to the transmission department there was only one real option.

Todd from http://subarugears.com/ has put in a great deal of effort into doing what many people said wasn't possible or viable and made using a Subaru 5 Speed Transmission on a rear engined config not only possible but a reality.

So I sent an email to Todd and he was nice enough to send me up one of his new 5 Speed Box's all modified ready to go. As the concept is still pretty new there is no real bolt in options when it comes to mounting and linkages etc. Luckily for me I happen to know a guy who has one under development which should be ready for release next week. So Meyers Manx Australia will be selling CFAB Transmission Install Kits to suit the SubuarGears.com 5 speed transmission into a Type 1 Floor pan.

Pictures to follow needless to say it looks SWEET ...

Ok so I get a call from Pete at Custom Vee Dub telling me a package has arrived .. I rush down after work and walla .. just like christmas.
Once home it is unwrapped it and admire the new mods Todd is doing to the box's
This is my favourite part .
And even though once mounted you will hardly see it ... it is always cool to know the end cap is much nicer then his fence post proto type.
Now I have it I will get the pan on the hoist and start to work out the mounting system.
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

So fast forward a few weeks and now I am down to around 2/1/2 weeks to go ...

So the start point is an almost clean work area, body sitting on Pan and a set of Bruce Meyers Mags in place to make me feel like I am getting there.

Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

So cause I have so much time to do the build I thought I might as well build a custom Fuel tank to suit. The tank will take the Subaru Fuel Pump and Sender unit as this will work well with the Custom Guage set and Subaru engine.

Initial cals should see me with around 55L of fuel which is more than enough.

Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Well it was another slow day I spent most of it sorting out suppliers and getting stuff sorted for a big Thursday / Friday.

That being said though I did do what I always seem to do and start cutting fibreglass .... yep thats right I have started cutting up my Manxter body to help fit the Subaru 5 Speed Transmission. Teh Subaru sits a lot higher than a stock Type 1 / 2 transmission and also a lot further forward.

I tried it with a 2" lift kit and it would clear without cutting so that was an option but in this case I want the body to sit as low as possible and to do that it meant that I would have to cut some fibreglass. Once I am happy with the clearance I will need to add some re-inforcement to compensate for the loss of the glass in the rear area. This Manxter will get a 3mm alloy cover which will be bolted to the glass with sika to ensure a good seal and best bond possible.

Hopefully I will get a start on the pan tomorrow now I don't need it for anymore body mods.

Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Ok so time moves on it is tiem to wind up the speed dial.

Pan is pulled and halves removed. Will be fitting a set of MMA Heavy Duty halves tomorrow before paint.

Why not do it tonight you ask ? Well because my inbox has gone ding dong and the CAD file of the Tank we mocked up is ready for a prototype run. Coming it at around 57L it takes a Subaru Pump and Guage cluster and fits under a stock Manxter tank with no lift kit ....

Thanks to Wes for turning my mock up and wacko ideas into a pretty CAD file so I can go play with cutting and folding ...

Time to go Play .....
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Ok, mockup is done from the DXF but like most things a few changes will have to be made as I forgot to allow for that fact that on a Manxter the headlighst go into the bonnet and hang through unlike a Manx. So with lights on it ain't going to fit ... doh ....

Anyway a few chages to the top plate and we should be all good to go.

I managed to get the Subaru Pump and Gauge assembly into the tank and the suction bag sitting on the bottom so it should pull quite well. Due to the design of the keel we have also avoided the need for a surge tank as such. The internal tank willhave several baffles added just to keep the fuel from any tank slapping.
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Ok a new day has started and hopefully if all goes to plan I will get the floor halves in today as well as a good pan clean and some sealing.

I have a rep from one of the big Industrial Sealant companies coming over so we can test out a new sealant process we have been working on. If it works as expected then Meyers Manx Australia will be very happy to add a DIY Pan coating and Sealant Kit to their line up.

The process will be a good scrub, remove all dirt and oil etc etc.

Apply layer one which is a penertrating and sealing coat. This takeas about 4hrs to dry and you can apply teh second coat wet. After two coates, all over including down the tunnel we will apply a 2 part apoxy sealent with a 20% blend of sealer. This will be sprayed on and take about 12hrs to dry. Once we have applied two coates of that we can apply the final coat and walla we should have a very well sealed and well painted pan.

It has worked well in testing but I guess we will know in the next 48hrs or so how it all goes.

Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

So with time slipping away work continues. I spent a few to many hours running around the country side trying to sort out the Hydarulic Clutch setup we will be selling. With that sorted I got back onto the pan.

As I am running a 5 Speed Subaru Box from SubaGears I need to do a few mods at the rear end. Once I had cut out a heap of sheet metal and made sure everything fitted I needed to clean up so add a gusset plate to give it some more strength and also clean up the appearance. I had to allow for retaining the current chassis number as well.

With that in place I moved onto the rear forks. As these are spot welded from factory I liek to clean them up and seam weld them. This reduces the changes of teh spot welds opening up and letting salt and crap in and it also makes them stronger. When I do this I also make sure I remove the old heater box control cables and close the holes. The old fuel line is also filled in and the hand brake cables sealed as well.

Now the back was looking good I moved forward to another problem area. The factory VW hand brake is often the source of cracks. This car was a factory semi auto and it already had cracks so I would need to do something about that before I turned it into a buggy ...

So after cleaning it up I removed those stupid factory heater control studs.

Now I needed to add some strength.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Brad,

Nice buggy build. It seems that the body has had a color change in the middle of your build.

I like your gas tank idea with the pump in the tank.

In your picture of the rear frame horn you say your cutting off the outlets for the E-brake cables. Don't you have to have a E-brake in Australia?

Keep posting I am enjoying your build up.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

jsturtlebuggy wrote:Brad,

Nice buggy build. It seems that the body has had a color change in the middle of your build.

I like your gas tank idea with the pump in the tank.

In your picture of the rear frame horn you say your cutting off the outlets for the E-brake cables. Don't you have to have a E-brake in Australia?

Keep posting I am enjoying your build up.
Hi, I removed the heater controls and cables not the e-brake. We run an e-brake.

Yeah the body isn't really changing I am just using our mock up body to do all the mods until I am happy. Once happy I will cut up the nice metalflake one.

Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

Floor pan halves welded in ... almost back to looking like a pan.
Now it was time to do some painting and seal the pan for many years of beach use and abuse which was to come. I am not known for my willingness to spend the many hours some do cleaning their buggies after a beach trip. I guess that means I need to ensure I build them the best I can.
As the pan was stripped I could have used a heap of fancy coats and products but didn't really want to do that. I needed to find something I could use and be happy to recommend to others and most importantly I needed to find something which was easy to apply, easy to use and cost effective.
So after talking a few people and explaining exactly what I wanted over the years Buggy Blend was created …. Yep that’s right Meyers Manx Australia will soon be offering our very own Buggy Pan sealer which is specifically mixed for us. Now Buggy Blend is not for show cars, it is not some fancy pants fully sick shinny coat you can’t abuse. Nope it is a bitumen based product which has been mixed with sealer, rust convertor and penetrant … you spray it on and it literally ferrets out all the nooks and crannies and seals it up. Prior to application all you need to do is remove dirt, oil and loos e rust and then spray it on. Leave a few hours between coats and walla pan sealed and will last for years.
I used 2L on my pan and most of that was filling the tunnel and letting it seep out the seams. I also had the pan on a rotisserie so was able to roll it around and ensure it all went well into the seams, frame head and rear forks.
As Buggy Blend is still in testing if you would to take part in our trial and get some FREE Buggy Blend then let me know. We are after a few Buggy / Baja Owners who want to give it a go and provide real world feedback on how it performs. The more you abuse your buggy and the less you wash it the better  :twisted: 
Anyway pan is now done and outside airing.

Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

With the pan in hand and light fadding fast it was time to start bring bits back togeather. So looking around I soon found some rear arms that needed some loving.

The Arms had seen some water and would be getting a full rebuild. As I am running rear disc brakes I could also get rid of those horrid drums.

Luckily for me Meyers Manx Australia stocks a full range or rear bushes and wheel bearings so a quick trip to the warehouse and I had all the parts I needed. I selected some delron rear trailing arm bushes as these are by far the best solution I have found. They aren't cheap but last a lot longer than rubber and don't squeak like urethane. Bearings where all German and Japanese. I have no intention of doing them every 6 mths so needed to make sure only good quality parts went in.

I will also be running 930 Porsche CV’s so a pair of Type 1 to 930 stud axles will be used.