Gecko Green Manxter #188 Brakes and Wheels

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
atomicaerospace

Gecko Green Manxter #188 Brakes and Wheels

Post by atomicaerospace »

It’s been a very slow process. One of the original brake rotors I received was warped, so after some time the vendor sent me a new one. My luck, the new rotor is warped too (d'oh)! I verified it was, in fact, the rotor that was warped and not a bent axle stub. Now I am waiting for another rotor, which the vendor has assured me he’s going to verify is not warped. With time and money I hope to upgrade to better brakes than these cheap Chinese EMPI ones.

The brake line kit’s rear brake lines were meant for stock drum lines, and were not long enough to accommodate the new disc brakes. So I had to special order the right size rear tubing. I am debating on whether or not I should install a flexible hose from the caliper to the metal brake line, or if I should just go from the tee fitting directly to the brake caliper with a hard line. I am also not sure whether or not to install the rear brake calipers with the emergency brake cable upright, or upside down. I have seen it done both ways (I think for clearance purposes).

The wheels are Boyd Coddington Junkyard Dogs. 18 on the rear, and 17 on the front. Not sure if I will need wheel spacers or not. Purchased wheel stubs as well, but they don’t have as snug a fit when tightening on the wheel as I would like. As you can probably tell, definitely some more research required in the wheels, brakes and suspension.

I have not purchased suspension yet as I am quite hesitant. I have purchased shocks for 2 other cars before, and they went bad pretty quickly. 8 shocks in total, and like 6 of them went bad. Name brands too! So shocks will wait until I get some more input from other Manxter owners.
Still waiting on the front beam from Airkewld to start the front assembly. Placed the order early January, it's now mid March. Hopefully not too much longer! I'll stick to Bug spindles for now, but i've been told I will likely have to upgrade to Thing spindles down the line.

[album]5941[/album][album]5940[/album][album]5939[/album][album]5938[/album]
manxvair

Re: Gecko Green Manxter #188 Brakes and Wheels

Post by manxvair »

What a drag on all the challenging parts! that gets real frustrating, real fast.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)