Gecko Green Manxter #188 Frame Restoration

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
atomicaerospace

Gecko Green Manxter #188 Frame Restoration

Post by atomicaerospace »

"A special thanks to all who share their knowledge in these forums. I have found people's posts, knowledge and pictures quite helpful. Reading through people's build posts has helped me prepare for my build. I am hoping to document my build on here and, in turn, perhaps be of help to future builders too. This community is a wealth of talent and information."

Hello friends!
I've introduced myself in another post. Below are some pictures of the frame build so far. The frame is a 1971 bug which was in good shape when I acquired it.
[*] Frame was scuffed and old seam sealer removed
[*] POR 15 applied to the top of the frame and seams rescuffed, seam sealer applied
[*] Bottom was scuffed, seam sealer applied
[*] 2 coats of Raptorliner was applied to the bottom of the frame
[*] Rear arms, spindles were powder coated
[*] Rear arms had bushings removed and new bushings installed
[*] Axle hub was rebuilt with new bearings and seals, packed with synthetic grease 8)

I realize POR 15 needs a topcoat if exposed to the sun, but I will be applying sound dampening material to the top of the frame, then carpet, so there will be no exposure to sunlight.

papya

Re: Gecko Green Manxter #188 Frame Restoration

Post by papya »

Hello, I have Manxter #189. I am a little further along than you as I just bolted my body on the frame two days ago. Going to be a fun project.
The wife says "He works on cars, it's cheaper than other women and she knows where I am at night"
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Thanks for the posts that help keep this forum active. Have to admit that I'm disappointed that a club activity is so poorly supported by the membership.

Paul
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
papya

Post by papya »

it seems that most members prefer to hang out on the Facebook page. The forum is really better equipped for discussing builds and etc but nobody seems to like it. The forum is not social enough. I will be starting a build thread on the forum this week. Keep posting on the forum and maybe we can bring it back.
The wife says "He works on cars, it's cheaper than other women and she knows where I am at night"
sbussard

Post by sbussard »

I put my build thread on the samba. The club forum was too clunky at the time. FB is quick and dirty to get an answer, but doesn't have the longevity of a forum post.

Where are you located? Any pics of the buggy? Good luck to both of you, and welcome.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0